• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    question... i know i have a long action.. but what's the difference between ADL and BDL?

i THINK i have the ADL because i dont have the quick release mag hole at the bottom of the stock

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    ADL does not have a door at the bottom to release un-shot rounds.
    BDL does.

I have a Remington 700 ADL.
    I ordered a Bell & Carlson M5 stock but I had to get the ADL to BDL conversion.
    Look at http://www.StockysStocks.com

FYI... My order was back ordered.

I have heard the Choate stocks are not as rigid as B & C, H-S Precission, or McMillan (spelling??).

Chris

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    IMO:

The Chaote stock:

Downsides:
    1) Thumbhole design encourages mishandling (palming the stock, thumb pressure)
    2) It is quite flexible, more so than B&C or HS Precision.
    3) The flat buttstock is a real challenge to shoot well from a rear bag, and that useless thumbwheel is, well, useless.
    4) It's one of those "buy it twice" items, where one saves money, but is rapidly dissatisfied if the accuracy requirements are high enough and it gets replaced.

Upsides:
    1) Price
    2) Doesn't require bedding

The B&C stocks:

Downsides:
    1) Not a lot more rigid than a Chaote - better, but not great.
    2) Designs vary, but if it has a flat bottom buttstock or a "hooked" butt, it will be very hard to shoot well from a rear bag.

Upsides:
    1) Price
    2) Doesn't require bedding

The HS Precision stocks:

Downsides:
    1) Not a lot more rigid than the B&C - better, but still cannot be compared to the Manners/McMillan brands.

Upsides:
    1) Price
    2) Doesn't require bedding (but usually benefits from an epoxy skim bed)

All three of the above stocks also share the shortcoming of not having enough weight in the back to balance anything heavier than a magnum sporter contour (#3-4).

McMillan/Manners:

Downsides:

1) Weight - they are heavy, but the weight is a byproduct of the rigidity and overall integrity (but different weights can be selected to minimize unnecessary weight)
    2) Price
    3) Require epoxy bedding

Upsides:
    1) Very rigid and consistent
    2) Wide variety of design features and custom touches are easily done (adjustments/swivel stud locations/flush cups)
    3) Weight - the extra weight/heavier fills are great for balancing heavy barrels like the #6 & #7 commonly used for precision rifles. The factory Rem Varmint/PSS is about a #5.5.

Regarding the ADL vs BDL:

In a factory gun, the ADL usually has a more modest finish and plainer wood in addition to the blind box magazine. The presence of a hinged floorplate on the BDL style models serves little purpose, but does come in handy when clearing a stoppage (like when a .308 cartridge drops into the bolt way for the left hand locking lug)

If converting an ADL model, one will usually need to get BDL bottom metal and the matching magazine box.

These items are available from many sources, and most custom gunsmiths will have a pile of takeoffs for sale. I see these sold "used" for about $50 quite often at SnipersHide, etc..

Be advised that any Rem factory model bottom metal (LTR, PSS, Classic, BDL) will be just like the BDL, but there will be two lengths; short action and long action and differing finishes.

LEAD2SPREAD

Apr 20, 2011
    Middle River
    I have 2 rem 700's one long action and one short action, and have H-S Precision stocks on them both of them with H-S Precision trigger guards. I love them a bit pricey but I think it's worth it. BDL has a bottom hinge door and the ADL does not

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    I have the choate that you posted the link to. I got it off a member here who upgraded to one of the more pricier options. I got a good deal on it and will probably repaint it, has a rattle can job on it, and slap my stuff in it when my bolt gets back from getting fluted and a knob added. I don't see the rigidity being a real issue right now given the fact that I will only be using it for a range trip now and again. I still keep my eyes peeled for something else, but like I said, no rush.

VRC Racing

MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2009
    Ijamsville
    I have a McMillan A5 long action stock for sale if interested. Here is a picture of the rifle that I sold. The gentleman wanted the factory stock. So this is just collecting dust in the safe.

-Russ

Attachments

• 300 RUM.jpg
      300 RUM.jpg
      70.5 KB · Views: 352

RealtorMatt

+1 for HS Precision.

Not a huge fan of the Choate stocks. I got my 700 AAC SD and I actually really liked the look of the factory stock, but I just ordered a new HS Precision after trying out one out on someone else's 700. It wasn't necessarily like night and day, but it definitely felt a bit better and I think after some getting used to I will see improvements in my groupings at 600+ yards.

tigmaned

Feb 25, 2007
    Crofton
    if you want to keep it under $250. try a Bell & Carlson. over that H-S. over that MCM>
    my next stock will be a B&C hook. off hand has a nice place to push stock into shoulder. midwayusa $206 right now.

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    Minor Threadjack

Is this what you guys mean by Bell and Carlson "hook"? I'm looking to pick up my first bolt gun and this Rem 700 is for sale on the PA boards. Nice to know that people regard this as a quality stock...if this is what was being referred to.

Attachments

• Rem700-1.jpg
      Rem700-1.jpg
      37.9 KB · Views: 239
    • Rem700-2.jpg
      Rem700-2.jpg
      40.2 KB · Views: 244

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members