• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KB3UET

Dec 24, 2010
    Sharpsburg, Md
    Not sure about the Electra, but I have a CVA Wolf and I really like that thing. It cost around $150 new so I'm sure the more expensive ones are just as good and probably better.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I have the CVA Accura and love it. I like the concept of the Electra but I just can't see trusting my shot to a battery and a piece of electronics that can't be repaired in the field. Do they sell these rifles with replacement electronics you can keep in your pocket?? And how long will they make these electronics? I am sure 509 primers aren't going anywhere.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Electra = Fail

Hate to raise a thread from the dead, but it appears that they have discontinued these... as a result, they can be had for $160 from sportsman's guide. Any real reason other than FUD not to pull the trigger on one of these.

Yes, I get it that the electronics could fail... that's a risk at $160 I am willing to take. Other than that though... any reason why not?

Funbrit

May 28, 2008
    Rockville
    Hate to raise a thread from the dead, but it appears that they have discontinued these... as a result, they can be had for $160 from sportsman's guide. Any real reason other than FUD not to pull the trigger on one of these.

Yes, I get it that the electronics could fail... that's a risk at $160 I am willing to take. Other than that though... any reason why not?

No reason at all, they were just not popular and didn't sell for whatever reason.

I have an CVA Optima, if not for that I would buy an electra for that price.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    No reason at all, they were just not popular and didn't sell for whatever reason.

I have an CVA Optima, if not for that I would buy an electra for that price.

Well as we all know, you can go to the store and buy a brand new battery, and it's dead. Do you want to be in the woods trying to fire a gun not knowing if the battery is good ???? I think not, and this is surly the reason no one wanted these things. Remember they started out brand new on the market at $600.00 then a year later they were $400.00 this year $200.00 and if you find them at $160.00 then that means they can't give these guns away. The whole spark fire concept is fine, but, when I flip the switch on my gun, I want to have some expectation that it will fire. I just have that feeling with the Electra. At $160.00 I still would not own one. If they gave me one free, I'd give it to someone else.

I wanted to add this for consideration. Have you ever used an electronic ignition cigarette lighter ? How many times do you have to click the button to make them light in most cases, a few. Deer don't stand there waiting for you to make a fire.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I wanted to add this for consideration. Have you ever used an electronic ignition cigarette lighter ? How many times do you have to click the button to make them light in most cases, a few. Deer don't stand there waiting for you to make a fire.

You bring up some great points but, I also have not seen reports of these not working as intended. Every indication is that they fire reliably and quickly when loaded properly.

As for the battery issue... I have a digital multimeter and know how to use it. There is a significant difference between that example of a car lighter and something a little more modern like a Taser. You don't see the Taser guys wondering if the Taser is gonna fire? So back to the fear, uncertainty, and doubt. Same with metal storm, which was all electronically ignited and appeared pretty reliable.

What I am looking for, I probably won't find... factual experiences regarding these weapons. I do appreciate your viewpoint and you do bring up some downsides. My biggest fear is loading the charge in a weapon with a live igniter in it... that would be my most pressing concern.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Here's an example of similar concerns with the Electra:

markkw - I have several issues with this rifle, not the least of which is that the name on the printed circuit board comes back to a Spanish toy making factory. Next is the venting of the barrel on loading, there is no vent to allow the air trapped between powder and projectile to escape leading to the very real concern that loads must be loose enough to allow the air to escape past the projectile on loading and the very real possibility of compressed air preventing the projectile from seating fully and/or being pushed back out of the seated position is a pipe bomb just waiting to explode in your face. Also, if you do screw-up and load too heavy, there is no touchhole or nipple hole to help relieve the excessive pressure in the bore that will usually help reduce the destructive power of the explosion...at least a little anyway.

I have concerns about cleaning and loading as well. The electrodes extend well into the bore creating areas where fouling will be trapped and no amount of wiping can remove them. If this fouling carries a lingering spark that can't be readily wiped away or seen, it's going to light you up when you pour the next powder charge down the barrel. The sealed breech also cannot be flushed which leads to concerns of how one is to readily and properly clean around the electrodes.

Foremost is my lack of trust in anything electronic. You see how quickly computers, cell phones, radios, tv's or what have you will just stop working without warning. In all fairness, I have not reverse engineered one of these guns but based on the information I have been able to obtain, the "safety" switches only break the trigger circuit and not the actual firing circuit. Something to think about since no matter where you go in your vehicle, you're passing all kinds of sources of EMF (Electro-Magnetic Force), RF (Radio Frequency) and radar radiation that can readily penetrate static-electric shielding and cause undesired current flow within the internal parts that can quite possibly result in tripping of the firing circuit.

Here's another to consider:

Fearnoevil -

The only problem so far is that in cold weather the battery seems to lose power and the caps won't recharge. With a ultralife lithium power cell below 15 Degrees F. It only charged it a few times and at 3 degrees F this morning only twice. Forget about alkalines. Once the capisators are charged though it will fire even if the LED starts to rapid blink indicating a weak battery. Above 32 Degrees F It fired 8 times before having to buff the electrode and another 7 after, all with the Alkaline Duracell plus the the gun came with. But below 15 Degrees it fails to fire.

I'll admit, cold weather / wet weather / battery power is certainly not something I'd want to be in the woods with. My experiences with electronics tell me to walk away from this product. - somdshoot

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    FROM THE OWNERS MANUAL:

LED STATUS INDICATOR LIGHT
    Located just behind the safety switch, the red LED light indicates the
    following conditions.

• NO LIGHT -- The main power switch is in the “OFF” position. Or,
    if the switch is in the “ON” position, this would indicate that the
    battery is dead.

• SOLID -- The capacitor is in the process of charging. This stage lasts
    approximately 25 to 30 seconds. WARNING-Although it takes 25
    to 30 seconds to fully charge the capacitor for the optimum spark,
    only approximately 13 - 15 seconds are required to provide enough
    voltage to create a weaker, but potentially effective spark. Your
    Electra rifle should be considered capable of firing whenever the
    main power switch is in the “ON” position. Therefore, the Status
    Indicator Light should not be used as a “safety.”

• FLASHING -- When the light is flashing approximately once each
    second, the circuits are fully charged and the ARC Electronic
    Ignition is ready to spark with full power.

My point with this reply is, if you set there for several hours with the power switch "on" and the battery is failing while it is in "waiting for deer to come down trail" mode, this gun may not fire when you want it to because the battery died while you were setting there for several hours.

BATTERY INFORMATION
    Your Electra rifle is equipped with a quality 9-volt alkaline battery, which
    should be installed into the battery housing (see Photo 1). This battery will give you excellent performance under normal shooting and hunting conditions. However, if you live or hunt where the temperature is regularly below 30 degrees Fahrenheit, you will have better results with a lithium battery. Lithium batteries are designed to function perfectly even in sub-zero temperatures. Lithium batteries are available in most camera, electronic and specialty battery shops. As a service to our customers, CVA provides a quality lithium battery at a reasonable price (CVA Part # AC1618). Therefore, if you have difficulty finding 9-volt lithium batteries in your area, you may purchase them at your local CVA Dealer or through CVA’s Customer Service Department (1-770-449-4687).

My point here is:

1 9V Lithium Battery - $10.00 ( con )

100 pack of 209 primers - $7.00 ( pro )

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Those last two posts were rather helpful... Thanks... and no, I didn't pull the trigger on this.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Those last two posts were rather helpful... Thanks... and no, I didn't pull the trigger on this.

I have spent my entire life in the electronics repair field. When I first saw this gun introduced with it's fancy circuit board, I sort of laughed and said, Fail.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Although not a blackpowder ,you can add the Remington 700 with E-tronic ignition on the failure list too. That idea was short lived! There intent was to reduce lock time -but it never caught on. The price tag on that system was a joke. You also had to buy special ammo, or reload using primer strictly for the E-Tronic set up.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Although not a blackpowder ,you can add the Remington 700 with E-tronic ignition on the failure list too. That idea was short lived! There intent was to reduce lock time -but it never caught on. The price tag on that system was a joke. You also had to buy special ammo, or reload using primer strictly for the E-Tronic set up.

well that's one up on me, I've never even heard of this model and I sweat blackpowder rifles.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    QUE??:sad20: i think you add electronics to a "primitive" weapon its like adding a laser pointer to a hunting scope...basically useless and with my luck would fail at the most inoportune time.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    You trust the spark plugs in your car to fire millions of times without failure. The problem is not that the ignition is electronic. The problem is that it is made poorly. If they used a pizeo electric (solid state no battery) system it would be drop dead reliable.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    You trust the spark plugs in your car to fire millions of times without failure. The problem is not that the ignition is electronic. The problem is that it is made poorly. If they used a pizeo electric (solid state no battery) system it would be drop dead reliable.

HUH ? I'm sorry, what charges the Piezo circuit... solar power ???

Pirate

Mar 20, 2010
    I've owned one since they came out. It has never failed to fire except for the one time I didn't clean it then let it set for months. That of course was my faught and not the gun. After cleaning it properly it has once again functioned flawlessly. You can shoot 4 rounds in under a minute. Its easy to load and accurate. I love mine and will continue to shot it. I also own knight rifles and T/C. I have several muzzle loaders and like shooting them all. I don't have anything bad to say about the electra and I personally own one. It does everything CVA said it would do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tharper429

Latest threads

Top Bottom