• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    **UPDATE** Friday, Feb. 18th, 2011

A few years ago, my Father In Law passed away. He was a good man. The kind of guy you are proud to say you know. He left an extensive firearm collection, mainly hunting arms.

I have been challenged with the task of cleaning/restoring/preserving around 40 firearms of various calibers for my MIL to put into storage until she passes, then they will be distributed between the family members. They are not for sale.

I'm starting this thread as a sort of journal of my progress and to let you all in on some pretty neat guns you may not have seen before. A lot of these were purchased at the auction business which the MIL worked for. Some are quite old and some are newer (1980's). I will be posting pics as I finish them.

I've spent all day stripping down and detailing these first 3.

The first is a Winchester Ranger Model 94, .30-30 made in 1985-6. I'm not sure if this gun was even fired more than 10 times, most likely less. Most of you know the history on this one.

The second is a 1927 Remington Model 14 pump in .35 Remington. The bluing is very worn and a repair was made to the magazine tube ring under the barrel. It is a very interesting metallic centerfire pump action design made to increase reloading speed over the lever action style of the past. The magazing tube has spiral flutes to keep the point of one bullet from striking the primer of the next. A really neat firearm.

The third is a 1954 Winchester Model 61 chambered for .22 short, long and long rifle. This is a post-war model with the 8" handguard. It is in good condition and the internals are as shiny as the barrel. Seems like a good little pump action .22 and can use a few variations of ammo on hand.

View attachment 27539

Attachments

• win94 win61 rem14.JPG
      win94 win61 rem14.JPG
      37.5 KB · Views: 686
    Last edited:

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    Beautiful firearm's you have there. I do have a question though, why is your MIL just going to put them in storage till she passes? If the plan is to pass them on to family member's why not do it now when they can use and Enjoy what your FIL left.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    It was one of the things he truly enjoyed and she can't bear to part with them right now. It's her wishes, so we can wait a while, hopefully a long while.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Your mother-in-law is fortunate to have someone like you that will take care of these guns and maintain them for her and her heirs. Good on you for taking care of her, and lifting this burden from her shoulders. I'm sure she appreciates that her husband's guns are being well taken care of. :thumbsup:

I really love those Winchesters. As someone else posted, they really don't make them like that anymore. They can't afford to and sell them at a profit.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Thanks guys. I'll keep the pics coming, but as I type, the smell of EEZOX is permeating the neighborhood.:sad20: I can't even walk into the garage right now without wretching.:puke:

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    Wow, those look great. Keep us posted on the others. Your MIL is lucky to have a SIL like you :thumbsup:

BTW, guthook, I love your avatar!

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Next up is one which I cannot find the date for and another which I fell in love with.

The first one is a SAVAGE 30 Series K Takedown model in 20ga with a 3" proof tested chamber. I can't for the life of me figure out when this was made. I'm thinking somewhere around the 70's+ from the little tid-bits of info I could find. It's in great condition.

Extras= Engraved game scene, 28" bbl, vent-rib, recoil pad and **choke.

The second is a 1938 L.C.SMITH Field Grade by Hunter Arms Co., Inc.
    Chambered in 20ga, this side by side double barrel is as well made as the best of them. Coming from a mainly Military style loose tolerance rifle backround, I was blown away by the seamless smithing it takes to make one of these shotguns. Someone had waaaay to much time on their hands, as you cannot tell where one piece of metal ends and the other begins. The fit is flawless. This stuff is from the days when your name and reputation actually meant something. It isn't the nicest piece in this collection, but for some reason, I fell in love with it.:heart:

Sav30K LCSMITHfield.JPG

Last edited:

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Really cool stuff. Those .22 model 61's are awesome little guns. I'm going to google the LC Smith; if they're well made, and can be found inexpensively, they may be a fun, quality 20 gauge that can be had, cheaply.

ETA: OK, they go for between ~$3K and $18K. :shocked: Hopes dashed... dreams crushed...

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Really cool stuff. Those .22 model 61's are awesome little guns. I'm going to google the LC Smith; if they're well made, and can be found inexpensively, they may be a fun, quality 20 gauge that can be had, cheaply.

ETA: OK, they go for between ~$3K and $18K. :shocked: Hopes dashed... dreams crushed...

:shocked4:

biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven

I am in the market for a SxS 12 ga, the prices on some of these are WAY out of my league. I just want one for a hunting trip I am about to take.

Those are some very nice guns . I would be in heaven if I had a chance to just clean them up.

Nice job.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Truly works of art in this thread. As another poster said, I'd be grateful to just to have a part in preserving them for the generations to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom