• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I need to purchase a gun safe and I know bigger is better and have read thrugh this buyers guide witch was verry helpful. I wanted to hear from some members on some safes they might recomend to get or not to get as I have never owned a safe. I would also like to hear about any particular accessories that I should get for it (with in reason like a light) I will be storing riffles, pistols, & a few documents in the safe. Well fire away :gun3:

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    Look at steel thickness on the sides and door also locking bolts and fire rating. Get a golden rod if its in the garage or basement and dont set it directly on concrete. There's a ton of them out there so do your research and educate yourself by looking and talking to dealers. Good luck its a tough decision like picking a baby sitter.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    There are some that are waterproof to a certain extent in a fire. You may want to consider that.

Ask if the door is removable to make it easier to relocate.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I wanted one of the toughest safes available so I went with a Sturdy Safe with 7 Gauge steel. Solid door, watch out for the safes with composite doors. They're a good company with excellent customer service but be warned, Terry the owner will talk your ear off but you'll hanging up the phone thinking you got a new friend even if you don't order a safe.

Another safe to consider is a Zanotti Modular safe. Great one to consider if you plan on moving a lot in the future. Doesn't take a gang of buddies to move and you can assemble it in almost any confined space like a closet where a conventional safe can't be manuevered.

www.zanottiarmor.com

Both safes are made in the USA with American Steel.

A lot of safes are made in Mexico, China, Korea and Tawain but are assembled in USA (they hang the door and install the lock).

One thing to consider for any safe is the Store More Guns rods and pistol hangers. They work and they will literally double or triple the storage capacity of any safe. I got mine from a dealer at Chantilly. Dealer was cheaper than the website and he will pay your shipping for phone orders. They are worth the money.

http://www.storemoreguns.com/

Good Luck and Good Hunting. You're off to a good start with the Buyers Guide, probably the best resource on the net.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    Just a comment Whatever you end up with can be more user friendly with a simple rope light installed to light the interior and it's cheap to do.I put microswitches on the doors of mine to light em when I open the doors!

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Another made in the USA safe company

www.amsecusa.com

The 2 that get the most recommendations IMO are the Sturdy Safe already mentioned and AMSEC
    Negative. While the company is an American firm, much of Amsec's current product line is imported from our friends in China. Some assembly and lock installation may occur on US soil, but the ones I have sold recently were clearly imports.

Mud Turtle

Jan 11, 2009
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Just a comment Whatever you end up with can be more user friendly with a simple rope light installed to light the interior and it's cheap to do.I put microswitches on the doors of mine to light em when I open the doors!

Here's an alternative. I keep a head light by my safe which makes it easy to read the dial when I open the safe. It frees up my hands and I can see everything inside the safe.
    Also, I keep silica gel inside the safe.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=623716

Attachments

• Petzl_Tikka_Plus.jpg
      Petzl_Tikka_Plus.jpg
      15.4 KB · Views: 586
    • 623716.jpg
      623716.jpg
      9.1 KB · Views: 587

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    I need to purchase a gun safe and I know bigger is better and have read thrugh this buyers guide witch was verry helpful. I wanted to hear from some members on some safes they might recomend to get or not to get as I have never owned a safe. I would also like to hear about any particular accessories that I should get for it (with in reason like a light) I will be storing riffles, pistols, & a few documents in the safe. Well fire away :gun3:
    Get the largest and heaviest safe that you can afford, and that the floors it will be moved and positioned on can accomodate. Don't be seduced by fancy paint jobs, pinstriping, and gold plated hardware. These have no effect on security or fire resistance. Instead, concentrate on wall thickness and a snug door-to-frame fit. Boltworks should be tight without excessive door play or gapping at the frame.

Mechanical locks are more reliable than electronic, HOWEVER, there are good quality electronics such as LaGard and LP that are of decent quality. One advantage to electronics is that most of them can be operated under low- and no-light conditions using the keypad.

As far as weight goes, remember that you will be moving, or hiring someone to move, your safe into your home. Consider all of the obstacles before deciding what to buy. The key here is to complete the job with all your digits intact. Obviously a 2,000 pound safe sitting on the floor is many times more secure than a sheet metal box bolted to the floor, but residential construction is generally NOT engineered to accomodate the former.

You stand a much greater chance of being burglarized than having a catastrophic fire. That being said, resistance to burglary attack should be your focus. Also, oftentimes "fire insulation" simply means sheetrock glued to the thin sheet metal of the walls. Minimal protection at best. Most gun safes have NOT been UL tested and have no recognized rating for fire resistance.

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    +1 on safecracker's suggestions, with a few more.

I was on the fence when I purchased my safe and decided to go with a Fort Knox. I purchased it from Steve's service http://ftknox.findlocation.com/results.aspx in Vienna Virginia. He delivered it and set it up in my house. The safe is UL rated and certified for fire protection at 1680 degrees for 90 minutes. It is very heavy, and very nice looking too. It was more expensive than most of the others that I looked at, but I am very happy with it.

Fort Knox has a lifetime warranty against (according to Steve and the woman I spoke to at the Fort Knox customer service section) against anything. Fire damage, water damage, even nicks. Steve brought this safe to my house and unloaded it by himself, moved it into the house and set it up by himself. While doing this he told me that if I ever moved and tried to move the safe and it went over a hill on my side yard that Fort Knox would replace it for free. (that said, given the weight and size of it I doubt I will ever move it, anywhere)

While that sounds like an unbelievable deal, he further explained to me that 95 percent of the safes they sell get put into a location and never get moved again, so they rarely have to pony up for any warranty issues. That and the fact that there really is not much to go wrong with a concrete and steel box, I kind of got the idea.

I got the biggest one I could afford, and I still would like to have a bigger one. It does fill up fast...

Just my .02 cents and I hope that helps.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    so which models are all US made?
    These days? It's anybody's guess. I've seen small safe companies start up and collapse in short order due not only to the high costs of labor, but the cost of steel as well. In order to remain competitive, pricing keeps per-unit profits small and these outfits must rely on mass sales to make money. Like everything else, it's cheaper to manufacture or buy safes in third world nations and slap your company's label on them than it is to pay union scale......

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    so which models are all US made?
    Also, many models that were made here before are now being manufactured overseas. This is an ongoing scenario that is not going to change without massive import tarriffs that would dissuade these companies from going abroad..

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    You could also consider used GSA security container or safe from Dave/Safecracker.

Built to tough government specs against forced entry and fire. They're also heavy as hell and come in many different configurations. I would like to get 4 drawer eventually for the next house to compliment my Sturdy.

Lawyer56

Feb 10, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    Sturdy Gun Safes are made in the USA (California -- although some of you may think that California is not part of the USA). 7 gauge steel in entire body. Solid 3/16 door. Fireproofing are blankets (not flimsy board). See the Sturdy website for detailed information.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Another vote for Sturdy.
    I recently visited their production facility and can vouch for American labor. I trust the owner when he says the steel is American as well.
    I plan to make an AAR of my trip (eventually) - complete with pictures of safes in various stages of production.

Awesome family run business with a great product.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Another vote for Sturdy.
    I recently visited their production facility and can vouch for American labor. I trust the owner when he says the steel is American as well.
    I plan to make an AAR of my trip (eventually) - complete with pictures of safes in various stages of production.

Awesome family run business with a great product.

That is freakin-a too cool!!!!

Is "our Sturdy girl" as hot in person as the website shots lead us to believe?;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom