• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    SAF SUES IN NEW YORK TO VOID 'GOOD
    CAUSE' CARRY PERMIT REQUIREMENT

BELLEVUE, WA - The Second Amendment Foundation has filed a federal lawsuit against Westchester County, New York and its handgun permit licensing officers, seeking a permanent injunction against enforcement of a state law that allows carry licenses to be denied because applicants cannot show "good cause."

SAF is joined in the lawsuit by Alan Kachalsky and Christina Nikolov, both Westchester County residents whose permit applications were denied. Kachalsky's denial was because he could not "demonstrate a need for self protection distinguishable from that of the general public." Nikolov's was denied because she could not demonstrate that there was "any type of threat to her own safety anywhere." In addition to Westchester County, Susan Cacace and Jeffrey Cohen, both serving at times as handgun permit licensing officers, are named as defendants. The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, White Plains Division.

Attorney Alan Gura is representing the plaintiffs, along with attorney Vincent Gelardi with Gelardi & Randazzo of Rye Brook, NY. Gura recently represented SAF and the Illinois State Rifle Association in their landmark Second Amendment Supreme Court victory over the City of Chicago.

Under New York Penal Code ||167|| 400.00, handgun carry permit applicants must "demonstrate good cause for the issuance of a permit," the lawsuit alleges. This requirement violates the Second Amendment, according to the plaintiffs.

"American citizens like Alan Kachalsky and Christina Nikolov should not have to demonstrate good cause in order to exercise a constitutionally-protected civil right," noted SAF Executive Vice President Alan Gottlieb. "Our civil rights, including the right to keep and bear arms, should not be subject to the whims of a local government or its employees, just because they don't think someone needs' a carry permit. Nobody advocates arming criminals or mental defectives, but honest citizens with clean records should not be denied out of hand.

"Thanks to our recent victory before the Supreme Court," Gottlieb stated, "the Second Amendment now applies to state and local governments. Our lawsuit is a reminder to state and local bureaucrats that we have a Bill of Rights in this country, not a Bill of Needs'."

The case is filed as Kachalsky v. Cacase, U.S. Dist. Ct. S.D. N.Y. 10-05413

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    The state will crap when that language gets tossed. So will many other states.

One cool thing about a NY permit, I never saw a business that had a no CCW sign when I lived up there and had my permit.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Ladies and Gentleman; this is the MAIN EVENT.

This ruling will have a direct and profound impact on Maryland orders of magnitude greater than anything to date.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    The state will crap when that language gets tossed. So will many other states.

One cool thing about a NY permit, I never saw a business that had a no CCW sign when I lived up there and had my permit.

Probably never entered their mind because there are so few permits.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

This ruling will have a direct and profound impact on Maryland orders of magnitude greater than anything to date.

Sure looks like it...

krucam

Ultimate Member
    :party29::party29::party29:

Palmer v DC, Sykes v McGiness, now Kachalsky v. Cacase

All are Shall-Issue cases.

From the Complaint:

STATEMENT OF FACTS
    9. The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution provides: “A well
    regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.”
    10. The Second Amendment guarantees individuals a fundamental right to carry functional handguns in non-sensitive public places for purposes of self-defense.
    11. The States and their units of local government are bound to respect Second Amendment rights by operation of the Fourteenth Amendment.
    12. The States retain the ability to regulate the manner of carrying handguns, prohibit the carrying of handguns in specific, narrowly defined sensitive places, prohibit the carrying of arms that are not within the scope of Second Amendment protection, and disqualify specific, particularly dangerous individuals from carrying handguns.
    13. The States may not completely ban the carrying of handguns for self-defense, deny individuals the right to carry handguns in non-sensitive places, deprive individuals of the right to carry handguns in an arbitrary and capricious manner, or impose regulations on the right to carry handguns that are inconsistent with the Second Amendment.

18. Plaintiffs Alan Kachalsky, Christina Nikolov, and the members and supporters of plaintiff SAF, would carry functional handguns in public for self-defense, but refrain from doing so because they fear arrest, prosecution, fine, and imprisonment for lack of a license to carry a handgun.
    19. Plaintiffs Alan Kachalsky and Christina Nikolov are fully qualified to obtain a license to carry a handgun under New York Penal Code § 400.00(1), in that each (a) is over 21 years old, (b) of good moral character, (c) has never been convicted of a felony or serious crime, (d) has never been mentally ill or confined to any institution, (e) has not had a license revoked or been the subject of a family court order, (f) has completed a firearms safety course, and (g) should not be denied a permit for any good cause.
    20. Defendants maintain a strict policy of denying handgun carry license applications where the applicants cannot affirmatively demonstrate a unique and personal need for self-defense distinguishable from that of the general public. Plaintiffs Kachalsky and Nikolov, and the members and supporters of plaintiff SAF, cannot meet this standard as it is applied by the defendants.
    21. Plaintiff Alan Kachalsky applied for a handgun carry license pursuant to New York Penal Code § 400.00. Defendant Westchester County recommended that the permit be denied. On or about October 8, 2008, Defendant Cacace denied Kachalsky’s permit application, offering that Kachalsky “has not stated any facts which would demonstrate a need for self protection distinguishable from that of the general public.” Accordingly, Defendant Cacace found Kachalsky did not satisfy the requirement of New York Penal Code § 400.00(2)(f) that “proper cause” be shown for issuance of the permit.
    22. Plaintiff Kachalsky appealed the permit denial to the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of the State of New York, pursuant to Article 78 of the New York Code of Civil Practice Law and Rules. On September 8, 2009, the Appellate Division held that Defendant Cacace’s “determination was not arbitrary or capricious and should not be disturbed.”
    23. On February 16, 2010, the New York Court of Appeals dismissed Kachalsky’s appeal on the grounds that it presented no substantial constitutional question. At the time of this decision, it was not a holding of any federal appellate circuit that the States were bound to respect Second Amendment rights. The Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit had held that the Second Amendment did not apply to the States. On June 28, 2010, the Supreme Court held that the Fourteenth Amendment does incorporate and apply the Second Amendment against the States.

COUNT 1
    27 Individuals cannot be required to prove their “good cause” for the exercise of fundamental constitutional rights, including the right to keep and bear arms.
    28. Individuals cannot be required to demonstrate any unique, heightened need for self-defense apart from the general public in order to exercise the right to keep and bear arms.
    29. New York Penal Code § 400.00(2)(f)’s requirement that handgun carry permit applicants demonstrate good cause for the issuance of a permit, violates the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, facially and as applied against Kachalsky, Nikolov and SAF’s members and supporters, damaging them in violation of 42 U.S.C. § 1983. Plaintiffs are therefore entitled to permanent injunctive relief against the enforcement of this provision.

COUNT II
    U.S. CONST., AMEND. XIV, EQUAL PROTECTION, 42 U.S.C. § 1983
    AGAINST ALL DEFENDANTS
    30. Paragraphs 1 through 29 are incorporated as though fully stated herein.
    31 New York Penal Code § 400.00(2)(f)’s requirement that handgun carry permit applicants demonstrate cause for the issuance of a permit violates Plaintiffs’ Fourteenth Amendment right to equal protection of the law, damaging them in violation of 42 U.S.C. § 1983.
    Plaintiffs are therefore entitled to permanent injunctive relief against the enforcement of this provision.

PRAYER FOR RELIEF
    WHEREFORE, Plaintiffs request that judgment be entered in their favor and against Defendants as follows:
    1. An order permanently enjoining defendants, their officers, agents, servants,
    employees, and all persons in active concert or participation with them who receive actual notice of the injunction, from enforcing N.Y. Penal Code § 400.00(2)(f)’s good cause requirement;

1. As Gura is doing in NC, SAF is citing 42 U.S.C. § 1983, Violation of Civil Rights. :party29: Love the ring of that...
    2. The NY equivalent of "Good and Substantial" is being challenged.
    3. Point #13 is also key...some sort of "Bear" is required in a non-arbitrary/capricious manner. Concealed, Open...pick one.

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    Why NY and not us? Ours us worse than NY. I mean I am happy because I believe this will give us shall issue, but the way this state moves I am not too confident.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County

It's a big deal, but technically the NC case is potentially more important to us because a ruling in that case applies everywhere in the 4th Circuit, and that would be us.

NY would be a huge philosophical win, as MD politicos identify more with the NE than the South.

So far that opens fights in the 9th (CA), 4th (NC) and 2nd (NY). That pretty much covers most of the states that selectively deny our rights. WI is with IL in the 7th, and I would not be surprised to see something filed there soon.

gprimr1: I think that the 7th would close loop on every state that is not "Shall Issue", right? I am too lazy to look at a map right now -- got a 2yr old in my lap helping me type.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    It's a big deal, but technically the NC case is potentially more important to us because a ruling in that case applies everywhere in the 4th Circuit, and that would be us.

NY would be a huge philosophical win, as MD politicos identify more with the NE than the South.

So far that opens fights in the 9th (CA), 4th (NC) and 2nd (NY). That pretty much covers most of the states that selectively deny our rights. WI is with IL in the 7th, and I would not be surprised to see something filed there soon.

gprimr1: I think that the 7th would close loop on every state that is not "Shall Issue", right? I am too lazy to look at a map right now -- got a 2yr old in my lap helping me type.

The NC case has nothing to do with CCW. The New York case is vastly more important.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Why NY and not us? Ours us worse than NY. I mean I am happy because I believe this will give us shall issue, but the way this state moves I am not too confident.

Well, in NY you must have a permit to buy or own a handgun. The process can take six to eight months if there are no snags.

In MD, all you need is a state ID, and that silly proof of training and you can go buy a handgun. True, you can't carry it, but you can own the handgun.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    The NC case has nothing to do with CCW. The New York case is vastly more important.

The DC, CA and NY cases challenge the lack of carry provision directly through the claim that "keep and bear arms" applies to everyone, everywhere. Ergo...you must let people carry.

The NC case challenges restrictions on "keep and bear arms" in extremis. They use the same arguments and make the same demands: you must let us carry. But this time they also challenge the upward limits of government power: under emergency powers, the state cannot restrict that right.

So the way I read it, the NC case is not only a demand to allow carry, but also a demand to limit restrictions on carry under so-called emergency powers. It is "Shall Issue" on steroids.

So while the NC case does not directly challenge restrictions on carry licenses, it assumes the fact "carry" is required and takes it further.

I think NC will be hardest case of the bunch. It stops short of martial law. I don't think we'd win the martial law case.

If NC wins, MD is faced with two impacts: they must allow carry, and they cannot use "emergency powers" to restrict the right to carry. NC hits both at the same time. So if the SAF wanted to challenge cases in the 4th on behalf of MD, the NC choice let's them get a "two-fer". Interesting strategy.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County

Papi...we are not left out. NC is in our Federal Circuit.

The NC case presupposes the right to bear arms for self defense outside the home. Then it goes a step further to limit the government's capacity to restrict that right in emergency situations.

That means if NC wins...MD is forced to accept both the fact that "bearing" is allowed, and that Annapolis cannot shut it down on a rainy day.

So if NC wins, technically we are ahead of the rest of the nation on the scoreboard.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Because the right candidate has been chosen. The Lawyers spend years vetting candidates, combing histories for an upstanding, model citizen to present.

Unlike the criminal cases back in the day, used to gain 2A rights. Which only made the anti's claim stronger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom