• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bryanjusmc

Celer Silens Mortalis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Edgemere
    Ok, so I am wondering if anyone can clarify the laws regarding body armor purchase/use/possession. So far, I have been unable to find any bonafide literature on the subject. The closest thing I have found though a search of MSP's website was this...

http://www.msp.maryland.gov/Downloads/Licensing_Application.pdf

and within this, on page 4 is "
    4) APPLICATION FOR BULLETPROOF BODY ARMOR:
    Maryland law mandates that all persons with a prior CONVICTION for a crime of violence or a drug trafficking crime are
    prohibited from using, possessing, or purchasing bulletproof body armor without a permit issued by the Secretary of the
    Maryland State Police.
    NOTE: A permit to use, possess, or purchase bulletproof body armor is not required for persons not convicted of a
    crime of violence or a drug trafficking crime.

ATTENTION: SUBMISSION OF THIS APPLICATION DOES NOT PERMIT YOU TO USE, POSSESS, OR
    PURCHASE BULLETPROOF BODY ARMOR. BEFORE YOU USE, POSSESS OR PURCHASE BULLETPROOF
    BODY ARMOR, YOU MUST POSSESS A VALID PERMIT AND KEEP IT ON YOUR PERSON WHILE USING,
    POSSESSING, OR PURCHASING THE BODY ARMOR."

It states that one without a conviction of a violent crime you are not required to have a permit to use/possess... but than states you must possess a valid permit while using/possessing.... im confused!?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    What I have read is that unless you are in Baltimore City, and you are a good citizen, then ignore that link you posted and buy a vest if you wish. The permit is to allow folks who have strayed and been rehabilitated... and who have a job that requires some level of protection, to legally wear armor.

In other words, if you are a good person, no issues and no permit needed.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It is also illegal to wear with intent to commit felony.
    Additionally most retailers on their own initiative will require some sort of evidence of retail occupation, etc for non- LE/ Security .

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    What I have read is that unless you are in Baltimore City, and you are a good citizen, then ignore that link you posted and buy a vest if you wish. The permit is to allow folks who have strayed and been rehabilitated... and who have a job that requires some level of protection, to legally wear armor.

In other words, if you are a good person, no issues and no permit needed.

What he said, but let me add that someone with a drug trafficking conviction needs special permission from the state and someone with ANY drug possession conviction cannot wear armor in the city of Baltimore (ironically get popped and convicted for possessing a joint of weed a few decades ago then you can still legally get a MD handgun carry permit and buy a handgun, but the city of Baltimore would deny you permission to wear armor while wearing the legally carried handgun).
    I am not a lawyer and I am only going on memory here without finding the actual statutes to cite again, but I think I am accurate.

I do know that in order to wear body armor in Baltimore one needs a city issued permit. They are the only local government in MD I am aware of that has a body armor law.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    It is also illegal to wear with intent to commit felony.
    Additionally most retailers on their own initiative will require some sort of evidence of retail occupation, etc for non- LE/ Security .
    For used body armor they are much less restrictive. It has been years since I asked or looked, but IIRC some custom/tailor body armor companies are also not as restrictive.

bryanjusmc

Celer Silens Mortalis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Edgemere
    Sounds good, thank you all. I figured it was something along those lines but wasnt sure myself, the way they worded it did not make sense.. big surprise right?

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    :bullhorn:

HB 3 --- Entitled:
    Business Regulation - Employees Who Carry Firearms - Protective Body Armor

Synopsis:
    Requiring an employer to provide protective body armor to an employee who is required to carry a firearm loaded with live rounds; and defining terms.

Hearing FEBRUARY 3 at 1:00 p.m. | In Annappolis MD | HOUSE ECONOMIC MATTERS

:secret:

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I was at a MD show a few years back and there was a guy selling vests, cash and carry. The show was out near DC.

My first vest I bought was mail order long before I ever heard of the internet. It still sits with some of my stuff at mom's. She doesn't want to just throw it out. I may bring it here and do some test shooting. It's only about 25 years old.

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    It states that one without a conviction of a violent crime you are not required to have a permit to use/possess... but than states you must possess a valid permit while using/possessing.... im confused!?

I am not sure if you got your answer 100%, but if you haven't been convicted of a crime, then you don't have a restriction about purchasing or using body armor. The permit is just for those who have a criminal conviction.

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    The ballistic warranty expiration should be labeled on the plates themselves. When I was a PO, they were usually good for about 5 years.

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    I have one that I bought in 89 before my second trip to the gulf, it now sits stored away just in case. with that said if properly stored as mine is I would trust my life to its protection.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Don't vests have a shelf life? (they're only "good" for X number of years)

I am not sure, but I think it is a "use" life and not a shelf life. Some aramid fibers and some other vest materials as I understand it degrade or weaken from repeated exposure to heat, ultraviolet rays and moisture or salty sweat.
    Except for a certain fiber by a certain company in the late 90s which degraded much faster (and was recalled which almost led to their bankruptcy), I think most police issue vests have a five year issue limit, but not sure about the military.

Now if the vest is something like Dragon Skin armor, I doubt there is such a use limit date, however I have no clue on this really and I don't know if civillians will ever be able to get Dragon Skin or if any police departments are even using it (incredibly expensive IIRC).

keepshooting

Aug 22, 2009
    Waldorf
    Having sold more body armor in the past 8 years than you could ever imagine, here is my insight--

1) If you are selling as much body armor as we are or some of the guys like bulletproofme.com you should be doing at least some sort of criminal background check. Why? Because the federal government does not like body armor being sold to civilians and they will prosecute you if you even accidentally sell to a convicted felon. If you can show you did due diligence to try and prevent an 18USC931 violation, you have a much better chance at not going to jail. Trust me when I say this, they are watching sales of this type of material probably more so than even guns at this point.

2) Used vests are perfectly acceptable for people who aren't in dangerous occupations and only want to have one for times when they need extra protection. We've shot body armor from the 1970s that still provided ballistic protection as rated on the panels. The reason why there is a 5 year use put on it comes more from the insurance industry who underwrites the policies for any NIJ listed manufacturer. They see that all fibers degrade over time, and if there wasn't some trade-in date on it, departments would continue to wear vests for decades. If you can avoid a payout by mandating a new vest every few years, you will do so.

3) If you are buying a used vest, try and get one thats a trade-in from either a security company or a foreign policy agency. These will be least used of all. Domestic police here in the US tend to wear their vests every single day, and both the carriers and inserts will show this fact.

After the election when everyone thought Obama was going to take away guns, I kept telling people to buy body armor instead. I still think if there is any laws passed, it will be to restrict ownership of something like body armor before it will be guns....

We may have some relatively new tactical body armor coming in soon....As its military trade in, it will be priced right. So watch our forum if this sort of thing interests you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom