• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    It seems that a entire year has gone by and none of those evil guns has gotten the courage to get up and use itself.

Legal guns in D.C. not used one year later
    No report of one being fired, stolen, used in crime

By Jennifer Maas THE WASHINGTON TIMES | Friday, July 17, 2009

It's been a year since a Northwest D.C. housewife carried a Ruger .357 Magnum into police headquarters in a blue plastic grocery bag and became the District's first legal handgun owner since the Supreme Court overturned a decades-old ban.

...Amy McVey's handgun is one of just 515 that have been legally registered with the Metropolitan Police Department -- a number that pales compared with more than 2,000 illegal weapons that have been seized in the same period.

She hasn't had to use it to defend her home. Nor has anyone attempted to steal it and use it against her or to commit some other crime -- undermining the most widely used arguments for and against permitting guns.

...police say they have no information that...any gun legally registered since July 17, 2008, has been fired by its owner in defense of life or property, or that one has been stolen or used in the commission of a crime.

This part makes me so proud of our nation's capital

Lynda Salvatore, 38, bought a Glock 21 to protect herself and her Columbia Heights home. Miss Salvatore, a U.S. Patent and Trademark Office employee, bought the gun recently because she said she feels unsafe since she moved into her neighborhood three years ago.

"I mean, people are regularly shot within a three-block radius of me. I've seen three dead bodies on the streets since I moved here," Miss Salvatore said.

"I've been harassed by kids on the street. ... They'll catcall after me and when I don't answer them they call me white bitch and throw rocks at me."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ar-later-no-report-of-on/?feat=home_headlines

MDcaptive

Dec 13, 2008
    I e-mailed Ms. Salvatore to commend her for her role in the article; she said the neighborhood has improved over the last 3 years but still has a ways to go. Hopefully more people like her move in.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    This is great news and only the Washington Times has the guts to make it a front page story. I doudbt the Post gave it a mention.

FloydofOz

Dec 29, 2007
    Rockville/DC
    That neighborhood has a long way to go. My girl lives there and is moving out because of harassment from neighbors. She has long blond hair, which attracts a lot of the same negative attention Ms. Salvatore was referring to. Ignorant kids like that are a real barrier to integration in DC.

At first I was encouraging her to get a gun, but it would require her driving back to her home state since she is not from the area. I also figured she was much more likely to shoot me than a criminal if I came back late!

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Great story.

I just worry a little that someone won't try to turn it into "well you dont' use them, so why do you need them?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom