Thinking of starting reloading, currently know next to nothing.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I was browsing a Midway catalog on the shitter other day, and got to thinking. I don't have room or a place for reloading equipment now, but I may be moving soon. But I'm eyeballing that Lee handheld press deal. It's pretty cheap (<$40) and I'd probably only start with reloading .357 mag. (I've saved a bunch of brass) So I figure worst case, even if I decide reloading isn't for me, I'm only out probably less than $100 including a die set and manual. Best case, I like cranking out a few rounds here and there, and if and when I move, I can get better equipment. Is my shitter-logic flawed? Is the hand press more of a pain in the ass than it's worth, and I should wait till I can get a real press setup?

What else would I need for a bare-bones introduction to reloading? I realize it's good to have a case tumbler and trimmer and whatnot. But I really don't want to spend a bunch of money on stuff that'll end up collecting dust if I don't "click" with it... Any insight would be appreciated!

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    I started with one of these

low price

Attachments

• leeloader.jpg
      leeloader.jpg
      40 KB · Views: 415

rfdallas

Feb 18, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I was browsing a Midway catalog on the shitter other day, and got to thinking. I don't have room or a place for reloading equipment now, but I may be moving soon. But I'm eyeballing that Lee handheld press deal. It's pretty cheap (<$40) and I'd probably only start with reloading .357 mag. (I've saved a bunch of brass) So I figure worst case, even if I decide reloading isn't for me, I'm only out probably less than $100 including a die set and manual. Best case, I like cranking out a few rounds here and there, and if and when I move, I can get better equipment. Is my shitter-logic flawed? Is the hand press more of a pain in the ass than it's worth, and I should wait till I can get a real press setup?

What else would I need for a bare-bones introduction to reloading? I realize it's good to have a case tumbler and trimmer and whatnot. But I really don't want to spend a bunch of money on stuff that'll end up collecting dust if I don't "click" with it... Any insight would be appreciated!

i use the lee hand press and i love it. i have no room in my house so i do it in the living room in my chair watching tv. i can do 50 9MM in about 90 min. taking my time. i have all the other equipment like the lee auto primer that is fast, i have a nice scale and a nice caliper. i have only done 9mm. i have not done .45 yet. cant find the large primers. anyway i like to reload and the lee hand press works for me.

Trapper

I'm a member too.
    Feb 19, 2009
    Western AA county
    While I haven't used the hand loader, the costs incurred would easily be recouped after a few hundred rounds. Plus, you would actually have the rounds, instead of trying to hunt some down!
    Whether you go hand-press, or cheap press (single stage, or Lee Pro 1000), you need to commit to making at least 1000 rounds. Bullets are sold in lots of 1000, primers are 1000 and a 14 oz jar of any powder will make at least 1000 rounds of pistol ammo. Otherwise, you'll need to find folks who are willing to sell you part of a lot so you can try it (If you'd like I can sell you 100 Berry's 158gr plated Hollow Points for $9.10).

No need to worry about a tumbler, you don't have to clean the brass. You could just shake it in a bucket of water to get some of the crud off, but you have to make sure its DRY before using it. OR you could just rub it around in a towel (no bucke of water), to get the residue off. OR you could just use it the way it is.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I've never used a Lee Loader, but based on everything I've ever read or heard from folks who cut their reloading teeth on them is positive. Lee has sold a bunch of them over many years. If they didn't produce good shootable ammo, folks wouldn't buy them. I have purchased and used a lot of Lee equipment and have never had any major issue with the quality.

I started with a cheap Lee Anniversary Kit many moons ago. Still have the Challenger press that came with it and still use it for some things. Had to refurb it with $20 worth of parts last year. (Geez, you'd think they'd last longer than 20 years before wearing out...:)

Small single stage presses are nice because you can mount them on something portable and put them away if you need to. Being cheap, years ago I built a wooden contraption that clamps into an old Black and Decker tabletop workmate. Mounted the press on top and it's worked great like that ever since. Lost count of how many rounds the old Lee Challenger press has loaded over all its years - suffice to say - a bunch.

Higher end presses are much better quality to be sure. I'm still one of those 'anal' single stage press reloaders. Not because I'm a match shooter requiring perfection, but because I enjoy the process and load for about 20 different calibers from .380 to 7.62x54r. The used Rock Chucker I picked up very cheap a while back is heavy as a boat anchor and easily loads anything I can put through it. Honestly, I don't think I can ever wear it out.

Space-wise, my presses have never been an issue. I can reload in a 3'X5' benchtop area. Storing all my dies, components and finished ammo...well...different issue altogether.

Reloading can become a passion. It's fun, relaxing, saves money (over time), ensures you have ammo to shoot etc. For some calibers, you'd simply leave your gun in the safe if you didn't reload for it. And, reloading ain't all that difficult to learn to do safely.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I started with the Lee Loader for two different calibers, then I got the Lee Anniversary kit with a single stage press and never used the Lee Loader ever again (except for one time I was without a primer). Then when my hand prime kept breaking I bought a Lee hand press for the Ram Prime (another primer), but I ended up using that exclusively for the last 400 rounds I reloaded.
    The Lee hand prime could be used on the shitter which is damn cool, but the Lee Anniversary kit can produce maybe twice as many rounds (or more) for the same amount of time. The main difference is the Lee Anniversary kit with the single stage press needs a mounting and/or a bench, but the hand press can be used anywhere!

But whatever you choose, unless it is the cheapest (the Lee Loader), also spend the money on the Lee book on reloading, it is worth more than you could ever spend on it.

Trapper

I'm a member too.
    Feb 19, 2009
    Western AA county
    Buy a single stage press to start. You can find them used.

I'd have to disagree. What you buy first should be based on your own desires and an honest evaluation of your abilities.

For me, buying the Lee Pro 1000 progressive press was a fantastic start, and has saved me a TON of money. Had I started with a single stage, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it. I prefer a logical order to completion, so the progressive, which moves a case through three stations (others have more, but cost more), and produces a round with every pull of the handle is what I wanted. Had I been doing groups of brass in stages I would have had to change parts and/or handle the brass in each of these steps:
    1. size and deprime
    2. open the case mouth
    3. prime the cases
    4. measure and drop powder charge
    5 Apply bullet, seat & crimp

I would have gotten bored with it. I know me, the mechanical process of the progressive intrigues me as much as making a proper round.
    After finding the proper charge and setting it I can make all the rounds I want and just pay attention to the mechanical processes of the press. I'm able to feel if a primer isn't going in right and that usually means I need to add primers. I'm faster when hand feeding bullets, but the mechanical process behind the bullet feeder is also pretty neat, so I use it when the feed fingers aren't toast (as they are now, I'm waiting on replacements).

I am very happy that I started with a progressive, I dont know if I would have kept at it with a single stage.

Pyramid

MDS Supporter
    Sep 27, 2008
    AACO
    I started years ago with a RockChucker and RCBS starter kit (scale, manual, powder measure, etc.) Got me through many years of loading. I also have a Lee Hand Press, which I like using for certain pistol rounds and for mobile reloading. If you are doing rifle loading, go with the full size press.

Pyramid

MDS Supporter
    Sep 27, 2008
    AACO
    The hand press is far better than a Lee Loader kit. I had a couple Lee Loaders and got rid of them for portable loading once I got the Hand Press.

R81

Jun 30, 2006
    "Start with the ABC's of Reloading. Read and learn. Then make your decision."
    Very good advice.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    "Start with the ABC's of Reloading. Read and learn. Then make your decision."
    Very good advice.

I agree, very good advice. Your perception of weither reloading is worth it or not is directly related to your needs vs your equipment. If I started out with only a single stage hand press or bench mounted press, and loaded 9mm that I shoot a lot of, I probably would have given up, and just bought factory ammo, and not gone any further. I like to tinker with loads, but to me loading for pistols is more of a cost saving chore than an enjoyable hobby, so 50 or even 100 rounds an hour doesn't cut it, luckily progressives allow you to crank out a lot of ammo in a short ammount of time with little fuss once it is set up. For precision bolt guns though it is another story, I may shoot only 50 rounds or so out of my savage 10FP or Howa varminter in a single trip to the range, and my Rock chucker allows me to fine tune the load to the gun for the best accuracy. In this case, the book will teach you what does what, and what advantages and disadvantages each press offers, so you will have a reasonably good idea weither or not reloading is worth it to you.

In another thread I belive it was Huckleberry also mentioned an NRA mettallic reloading class, that would be great, it would give you some hands on experience to see if it is something you can get involved with.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    IMHO the Speer manual has one of the best tutorial sections of the reloading manuals out there. Even better than one manual is two or more though.

Please read all the safety information in whatever material you choose.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Start with the ABC's of Reloading. Read and learn. Then make your decision. :thumbsup:
    +1

Also read (or buy) as many reloading manuals as possible. And NEVER take reloading data from another shooter/internet without verifying the load in another place. May people are using near or over maximum charges in their reloads (rifles especially). These may work in their particular firearm, but would be dangerous in others. As a beginner you want to triple check your load data before you seat a bullet.

Good luck

Jerry

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I bought the book, but haven't finished it yet. I'm in no big hurry or anything, but I'm thinking I'll try this out :thumbsup:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Also, if you're a visual/tactile learner like I am, it helps to just get with someone with experience and run through the process a couple of times.

trbon8tr came over this week and helped me set my RockChucker up and now I'm happily loading away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom