Ruger American with a Redfield scope. Inputs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I just ordered one of these for hunting. Anyone have one? I ordered mine in .308. From Grabagun.com. I paid $506, delivered. Any inputs? Seems to be well reviewed.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    I picked up one in .308 Halloween weekend. Haven't shot it yet, but noticed when on a bagged rest, the barrel was no longer floated. Had to sand down a bit and then it was finally free floated while rested.

I also had to "polish up" the inside of the receiver a bit to smooth it out, had a couple burrs.

Super excited to try it out though, I didn't get it with the Redfield scope, but still walked out of DSG for <$350.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I picked up one in .308 Halloween weekend. Haven't shot it yet, but noticed when on a bagged rest, the barrel was no longer floated. Had to sand down a bit and then it was finally free floated while rested.

I also had to "polish up" the inside of the receiver a bit to smooth it out, had a couple burrs.

Super excited to try it out though, I didn't get it with the Redfield scope, but still walked out of DSG for <$350.

If you can grab the barrel and the stock, with one hand, and make them touch when squeezed, it's not a free floated barrel.

When you pull the trigger on yours, the barrel will most likely touch the stock again.

My Browning A Bolt had the same problem. So I cut a hi-tech, superwhamodyne, precision spacer out of a plastic Pringles can cap and placed it between the receiver and the stock bed.

Much mobetta now and a true free float.

The American was on my short list. A great rifle.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I'm probably not going to be to much help but I bought the rimfire version and after a painstaking process of dealing with scope rings (my own fault) I can now drop a quarter a 100 ALMOST every shot. The pic below was all shot free hand at 90 yards with the no good rings. If my rimfire is any indication then you should be happy with yours brother .

IMG_20130912_170927_zpsc39e9224.jpg

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I have a Ruger American in .270. I put a cheap Tasco scope on it. It is remarkably accurate considering the economy scope that is on it.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    looking forward to getting it, like all my toys. Guess I'm going to have to get serious about hunting now. I don't still have to eat a heart out of my kill, do I?:lol2:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    looking forward to getting it, like all my toys. Guess I'm going to have to get serious about hunting now. I don't still have to eat a heart out of my kill, do I?:lol2:

It's the best piece of meat IMO.

It's even better when it's cut into cubes and pan-seared. ;)

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD

what, really?

That's disappointing to hear.

I got an American last year and it was IMPECCABLY put together and machined. Incredibly accurate for the price.

I guess they had to drop QC a little to meet demand, but damn- that has NEVER been ruger's thing! I hope this is just some kind of one off.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Yuck!! We used to feed that to my boxer, cooked like that.

Deer heart, cubed and pan-seared - there isn't much better when it's 7 degrees outside at camp and you're sweating 80-proof from every pore of your body. :party29:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Deer heart, cubed and pan-seared - there isn't much better when it's 7 degrees outside at camp and you're sweating 80-proof from every pore of your body. :party29:

Add some ham and bean soup to the mix and your talking my thanksgiving weekend :)

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    what, really?

That's disappointing to hear.

I got an American last year and it was IMPECCABLY put together and machined. Incredibly accurate for the price.

I guess they had to drop QC a little to meet demand, but damn- that has NEVER been ruger's thing! I hope this is just some kind of one off.

Honestly wasn't that much work. That bolt is super smooth now after <10 min of polishing.

I went with the Ruger after all the reviews are really saying its a great gun and I wanted to do more with less $$. The trigger on it is remarkable and I haven't even messed with it yet. Compared to the 700 I handled just after the American, for now I made the right choice.

I was disappointed that when on my rest the barrel touched the forearm, but with the sanding I think I fixed it.

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    I'm probably not going to be to much help but I bought the rimfire version and after a painstaking process of dealing with scope rings (my own fault) I can now drop a quarter a 100 ALMOST every shot. The pic below was all shot free hand at 90 yards with the no good rings. If my rimfire is any indication then you should be happy with yours brother .

mine shoots just about the same as yours.. I have a shitty tasco rimfire 3-9x scope on it too.

I can nail within 1" of the center of my targets at 50 yards standing/unsupported. great little .22 and with subsonics/suppressor the thing is silent too!

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    I have one in .308 with a nikon prostaff 4-12x40 and love it. My wife hunts with a 30 06 american with a redfield 3-9x40. Great guns love the triggers!

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    I got the free cheekrest by mailing in a post card that was in the box when I bought it. (and by mailing in I mean there was an option to register online and I just did it online :D)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom