• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    We received a small shipment of the White Oak Armament SDM barrels that we are using on a new variant. We'll be selling 10 of the barrels from that batch outright. These are some EPIC barrels and are light for being such a heavy profile. All are bead blated for the dull grey look. Ours are 1/7 twist. More info on the barrel:

Inspired by the Army's SDM-R Squad Designated Marksman rifle, this 20" stainless steel AR15 barrel features 12 large flutes to reduce weight and aid in cooling. Nearly a full pound of weight is removed from the barrel and the surface area in the first 12" of barrel length, where the majority of heat is generated, is increased a whopping 81%. Barrel weight is just 2lb 9oz. Made on match grade blanks and available in 1:7 or 1:8 twist, this barrel has the light weight and excellent accuracy needed for many applications. Fitted with the available 4 screw front sight and a Daniel Defense rail you have a copy of the Army SDM-R upper. M4 feed ramps.

.223 Wylde chamber suitable for .223 or 5.56.

$375

Attachments

• DSC_3478.jpg
      DSC_3478.jpg
      95.7 KB · Views: 3,419
    • DSC_3477.jpg
      DSC_3477.jpg
      75.4 KB · Views: 3,325
    Last edited:

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Are the 20" stainless fluted the only length available in the White Oak Armament SDM Barrels? 16"?

Any other fluted 10.5" barrels available?

ifindppl

Sep 13, 2012
    Montgomery County
    Andy: I have one of your original builds but with the bead blasted 16" HBAR. I have a Zeiss scope on it and it is accurate but a beast. I am assuming that even at 20", this fluted beauty is still lighter than what I am currently using. Is that correct.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Andy: I have one of your original builds but with the bead blasted 16" HBAR. I have a Zeiss scope on it and it is accurate but a beast. I am assuming that even at 20", this fluted beauty is still lighter than what I am currently using. Is that correct.

I think we did some comparisons one day while in the shop, and they seemed to be pretty close in weight, didn't pull the scale out or anything.. Not sure if the 20" is lighter though, both felt similar. The weight savings can mainly be credited to the fluting on the 20 incher!

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Stopped in today to get one if these fluted HBARs for my next build.

Thanks Carlos!

It was good to see the gang and of course Brutus too

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I finally got a chance to test out my 20" fluted WOA barrel and I'm very happy with this setup. I tested the following ammo at 100 yards:

(group size") brand - weight

(.5") Winchester Match 556 - 77Gr. BTHP
    (.5") Speer Gold Dot 223 - 64Gr. GDSP
    (.5-.6") Fiocchi 223 - 77Gr. Matchking HPBT 223MKD
    (.5-.6") Fiocchi 223 - 69Gr. Matchking HPBT 223MKC
    (.75") Winchester Ranger 223 - 64Gr. RA223R2
    (2-3") Hornady Superformance Match 223 - 75Gr. BTHP
    (2-3") Hornady Superformance Match 556 - 75Gr. BTHP
    (3-4") Federal XM193 556 - 55Gr M193 Ball

The Hornady was a big surprise because I expected it to shoot much better. The Fiocchi was a surprise too because we didn't expect it to shoot so well.

I'm running a Wilson Combat upper/lower, Fortis Rev rail, a Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24 scope with G2DMR Reticle, and a G2S Geissele trigger.

I only shot 1-2 boxes of each brand of ammo so I wouldn't call this a very scientific test. I was just really curious how this barrel would shoot and wanted a fair test with different brands of ammo.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I finally got a chance to test out my 20" fluted WOA barrel and I'm very happy with this setup. I tested the following ammo at 100 yards:

(group size") brand - weight

(.5") Winchester Match 556 - 77Gr. BTHP
    (.5") Speer Gold Dot 223 - 64Gr. GDSP
    (.5-.6") Fiocchi 223 - 77Gr. Matchking HPBT 223MKD
    (.5-.6") Fiocchi 223 - 69Gr. Matchking HPBT 223MKC
    (.75") Winchester Ranger 223 - 64Gr. RA223R2
    (2-3") Hornady Superformance Match 223 - 75Gr. BTHP
    (2-3") Hornady Superformance Match 556 - 75Gr. BTHP
    (3-4") Federal XM193 556 - 55Gr M193 Ball

The Hornady was a big surprise because I expected it to shoot much better. The Fiocchi was a surprise too because we didn't expect it to shoot so well.

I'm running a Wilson Combat upper/lower, Fortis Rev rail, a Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24 scope with G2DMR Reticle, and a G2S Geissele trigger.

I only shot 1-2 boxes of each brand of ammo so I wouldn't call this a very scientific test. I was just really curious how this barrel would shoot and wanted a fair test with different brands of ammo.

I have one of these barrels and took it out for the first time a week or two ago. Running a similar scope... the Elite 4200 Tactical 6-24x50 (purchased many years ago).

Tested using 10 shot groups. It loved the 75gr Fiocchi Match... all groups under 1". Using 3 shot groups, I'd bet that I could produce clover leafs every now and then. It hated Privi 75gr Match (about 2-3"!!!) and Privi 62gr SS109 (4+"). That's all I tried, and it probably tells me a lot more about the ammo quality than anything else. And yes, Fiocchi is impressive for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom