• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jlnjca

Nov 8, 2012
    Fall in love with MAS 49/56 recently.

It is semi-automatic. Caliber has enough power. It has rail to put on scope easily.

So I really want to have one for target shooting and perhaps hunting in the future.

Now the questions for you:

1. In order to bring it in to Maryland legally, I need to have the seller remover the flash hider and the grenade launching adjusting cursor? Correct?

Reference:
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=950441 

2. Removing these parts will not negatively impact the function of the rifle, correct?

Thanks much!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ummm as far as I knew it's perfectly legal in its original configuration

That's what I understand as well. Though personally I have been holding out for a MAS 49, simple and streamlined like a Syrian contract gun (e.g., without the grenade launcher etc.)

jlnjca

Nov 8, 2012

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-21-07-42-38.jpg
      Screenshot_2015-09-21-07-42-38.jpg
      47.8 KB · Views: 689

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Seems MAS 49 does not have the flash hider?

That's correct. The photo below is a good comparison.

3_MAS_Models.44.49.4956.jpg

Then there is the Syrian contract has the ubercool bayonet like the 36/51s. Sometimes the grenade launcher (I think, they may all have had it I haven't seen many) , scarce in good condition

DSC00165.jpg

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Does the one you are looking at have the rail with it?
    If not, it seems that good ones are hard to find for it.
    Something to keep in mind before you jump.

They are neat rifles. Yours in the original caliber or was it converted to .308?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    A scope on that rifle is set back too far to be usable. Comfortably any way.

Would be like slapping a scope on an SKS receiver cover.

Just because it's made doesn't mean it should be bought.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    A scope on that rifle is set back too far to be usable. Comfortably any way.

Would be like slapping a scope on an SKS receiver cover.

Just because it's made doesn't mean it should be bought.

The French made a scope mount for it, that is what the slot on the left side of the receiver is for, sort of like an Ak mount.

I have one and it works fine.

jlnjca

Nov 8, 2012
    Thanks for the pics. It is clear that MAS49 is perfectly legal in Maryland. What acout the MAS 49/56 with those additional features? That is my major concern.

The mags on these rifles are interchangable?

That's correct. The photo below is a good comparison.

3_MAS_Models.44.49.4956.jpg

Then there is the Syrian contract has the ubercool bayonet like the 36/51s. Sometimes the grenade launcher (I think, they may all have had it I haven't seen many) , scarce in good condition

DSC00165.jpg

jlnjca

Nov 8, 2012
    Seems all 49/56 have rails with them. The are rails like those on AKs.

QUOTE=ohen cepel;3996877]Does the one you are looking at have the rail with it?

They are neat rifles. Yours in the original caliber or was it converted to .308?[/QUOTE]

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have one and it works fine.

^ This. The APX L806 is pricey (~$600) but works well and has range adjustment markings on the elevation turret.

They ALL have the side receiver rail. Not added on like an AK but machined directly into the receiver. Was the only main battle rifle ever to have standard provisions to do so.

jlnjca

Nov 8, 2012
    Do you mean both MAS 49 and MAS 49/56?

QUOTE=yellowsled;3996618]Ummm as far as I knew it's perfectly legal in its original configuration[/QUOTE]

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    From what I can tell, the 49/56 has a separate grenade launcher piece that goes on top of the flash hider assembly, and without it, cannot launch grenades. I would be inclined to argue that the 49/56 is in a legal configuration without that piece being attached.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    From what I can tell, the 49/56 has a separate grenade launcher piece that goes on top of the flash hider assembly, and without it, cannot launch grenades. I would be inclined to argue that the 49/56 is in a legal configuration without that piece being attached.

I enjoy shooting my Mas 49/56 in 308 at the range --- It have the Mas recoil pad on it, along with a strapped cheek piece that I bought at Brownells. A fellow shooter at our range {AGC at Marriottsville} has the original scope an mount for his 49/56.

I have a sturdy S&K mount mounted on mine...topped off with a Hi-Lux red dot scope. It has a shut-off valve for the grenade launcher. May I suggest wearing eye protection when field stripping it. If you want to buy more magazines...don't buy any converted to 308, since the originals work fine in my 308.

I did have two slam fires with my 49/56 --- using soft 308 primers --- Wolf has mil-spec hard primers --- But I did wound-up buying the $80 titanium firing pin for it --- So far --- zero slam fires. The other 49/56 shooter at our range... ground down the original steel firing pin, so he could fit a clipped fountain pen spring on it; so as to prevent a slam fire.

Wolf is having problems {primer popping & extraction problems} with it's 150 grain 308 round, so I would stick with the 145 grain 308 Wolf if you are so inclined.

jlnjca

Nov 8, 2012
    I though a rail is a good thing to have on the rifle, isn't it? I am thinking the original caliber

Does the one you are looking at have the rail with it?

They are neat rifles. Yours in the original caliber or was it converted to .308?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom