• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I'm trying to figure out how common these are. Does anyone have a Finned MN that has the so-called "balkan wedge" in front of the front sight? I purchased this rifle over the weekend. The stock is definitely Finnish - I won't know if the rifle has any other characteristics of a Finnish rifle until I get it in my hands. Some guys on gunboards confirmed that they have Finnish rifles that exhibit this characteristic, but I thought I'd throw it out here too.

190fea792e81a8197943db3f210d7ba4.jpg

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    balkan wedge?? Thats a new term. Looks like a standard ex-dragoon to me. I have seen tons of non-finned mosin with that ground down for clearance for the rear sight. Maybe I am mis-informed?

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    It was interesting to see the ground examples that people posted on gunboards yesterday. They were the first I had seen. Maybe I have seen others but not noticed. It kind of looks like the Tula star was scratched out a little bit. I'm looking forward to seeing more pics.

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Ken is correct, the so called Balkan wedge is underneath the rear sight. The barrel shank ground down can be found on many 1920's ex-dragoon refurbs which for the most part never left the USSR as well as SCW dragoons. The stock is 100% Finnish, if it is a mixmaster with only the bolt matching then I would say Finn for sure. Any import marks? If early CAI mark could be Finn or Balkan, if no import mark and all mismatched numbers then I would lean towards restocked SCW rifle.

Last edited:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    So you got that lot! Well bought. I was watching it over the weekend but was engaged in bidding on a P38 Grey Ghost and Finn M28 (no joy on either of these). What attracted me was the early 20's date. I don't have an M91 from the early Soviet era. That it's a Finn is a bonus to me as a Finn collector. You're gonna have to source some Finn sling hangers but they're not hard to find.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    That's a nice one. By the way, have you seen the auctions on handguards lately? You have $230 worth of handguard there alone.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Whoa, you were lucky to get 'em in one piece! That's one scary packing job.
    Congrats on the Finn'd M91! You got a keeper for sure. BTW, what's the other rifle in the box?

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Cleaned the bore and couldn't be happier. Also, after having the rifle in my hands and moving the rear sights around, I absolutely believe that making room for the Konovalov sight is the sole reason for that relief - nothing to do with country of origin/capture/use.

44c70e4303a3e314296d0c62259a77cb.jpg

8ff0703779b7b7f6c37daf2971911137.jpg

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Actually you are lucky that the sight grinding did not reach the star, I had an Izhevsk 1921 ex-dragoon with the same grinding that partly obliterated the Soviet crest, it was a typical refurb but because of that I eventually got rid of it. The swivels and missing parts you need show up on ebay quite often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom