• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Would like to know your guys thoughts on the best AR barrel on the market i know what my choice is just want some other input.

How's about for post#2 you tell us what your choice is and what you'll be using it for. Then we can start the discussion.

Jun 27, 2015
    Martinsburg, WV
    So, you're only shooting it off the bench. You don't anticipate carrying it or shooting it "on the run." Barrel profile not a concern? Cost not a concern? Length not a concern?

My question was what is the best barrel on the market in "your" opinion shooting application does not matter nor does price, simply the best barrel period

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    My question was what is the best barrel on the market in "your" opinion shooting application does not matter nor does price, simply the best barrel period

IMO, there is no best barrel 'period'.

There's best barrels that fit your usage, budget, and so on.

For 300BLK, I prefer the Noveske's. For 5.56/.223, there's a couple of great choices depending on your budget, and intended purposes - LaRue, Rainier Arms, Shilen, etc etc.

Where a Shilen barrel may shoot just as well as say a LaRue or Rainier Arms Ultra Match barrel, it's not going to perform as well during long strings of fire or thru a high round count class where the rifle gets filthy. (Just using that as an example, not a data point.)

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    So, you come seeking an answer...wisdom...knowledge. Fair enough.

You ask an open ended question. Your choice but not always the best way to get a good answer.

Folks who I know to be relatively expert encourage you to qualify your question. You defer and insist your original question is GTG. Again, your call. Again, not only a inadvisable way to get a good answer but a pretty good bet to have folks write you off as not serious or worse, not someone they might want to help.

Perhaps we're going about our answers wrong. Then again, maybe not.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

Want something for a lightweight KISS build or long range precision build? What kind've chamber do you want, something super tight that's geared more for precision, or something that's cut more for reliability? Do you want it to be threaded or just cut with a target crown of some kind? Is "best" measured in longevity, accuracy, reliability, value....?

I personally think this barrel is pretty sexy for what I want...
    https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17672&cat=312&page=3

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    So, you come seeking an answer...wisdom...knowledge. Fair enough.

You ask an open ended question. Your choice but not always the best way to get a good answer.

Folks who I know to be relatively expert encourage you to qualify your question. You defer and insist your original question is GTG. Again, your call. Again, not only a inadvisable way to get a good answer but a pretty good bet to have folks write you off as not serious or worse, not someone they might want to help.

Perhaps we're going about our answers wrong. Then again, maybe not.
    In the interest of dialogue, starting with a vague an open ended question can still be valuable. I think of the old, "You don't even know how much you don't know" statement people often get when they first get in to something new. Starting with "What's the most bested barrel ever....ever?" may not result in one answer, but rather result in first the discussion of different qualifying factors. After those are discussed at length, the discussion could turn to specific criteria for each qualifying factor, and a guide to the best answer for any given application. In that way, the dialogue is certainly more meaningful and full of information that just a question followed by one answer.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    In the interest of dialogue, starting with a vague an open ended question can still be valuable. I think of the old, "You don't even know how much you don't know" statement people often get when they first get in to something new. Starting with "What's the most bested barrel ever....ever?" may not result in one answer, but rather result in first the discussion of different qualifying factors. After those are discussed at length, the discussion could turn to specific criteria for each qualifying factor, and a guide to the best answer for any given application. In that way, the dialogue is certainly more meaningful and full of information that just a question followed by one answer.
    I get it. I used the Socratic method myself a time or two to good effect.

My crap detector calibration may be off but I smell a certain "eau de know" that's familiar. OTOH, I simply might have stepped in something the dog left outside...

Let's see how this one plays out.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    For pure precision. White Oak. You'll see more White Oak barrels at Camp Perry than pretty much anything else.

For turnkey but $$$$ Larue.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    For the buck, ARP Performance ... in any application.

Otherwise: Bartlein or Krieger turned to your specs, melonited, then finally tailor that load you mentioned.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout

Mossberg and Blackthorne.

Seriously, are you genuinely curious because you're trying to build a new rifle and want a great barrel, or are you just trying to stimulate discussion--or better yet, set up a platform to shill your products?

Jun 27, 2015
    Martinsburg, WV
    Mossberg and Blackthorne.

Seriously, are you genuinely curious because you're trying to build a new rifle and want a great barrel, or are you just trying to stimulate discussion--or better yet, set up a platform to shill your products?

Genuinely curious, there is always new products that not everyone knows about , Not sure how the original question got taken out of context

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not looking for free advertising we are becoming a industry partner. Just merely asking a question on Preferences on barrels. How in any way is that free advertising.

That would have been a great place to start. We are not all Psych. majors here. Ask a thoughtful question, get a thoughtful answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom