• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Unfortunately the MD statute fails to define what a "bona fide collector" is. I'd have to think that DC would satisfy that portion of the law, since there is nothing else that would help in defining it, at least at the state level. AS C&R would certainly help, but that's a Federal Designation, not state.

So you would consider with a DC and only one firearm owned a bonafide collector?

How about a person with 30+ Garands of various flavors without a DC?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    So you would consider with a DC and only one firearm owned a bonafide collector?

How about a person with 30+ Garands of various flavors without a DC?

I don't know. Why is what I think important? All I said was it's not defined in the statute. It's what the state says it is, (or isn't), not me.

Last edited:

Joshvictus

2GOG
    Jul 8, 2014
    Annapolis
    I think it was an older thread on this forum I came across, someone was mentioning the C&L can open you to random audits but I think it was just for FFL people.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I don't know. Why is what I think important? All I said was it's not defined in the statute. It's what the state says it is, (or isn't), not me.

Because you said this:

Unfortunately the MD statute fails to define what a "bona fide collector" is. I'd have to think that DC would satisfy that portion of the law

Yes, the DC is NOT mentioned. The words are "bonafide collector." DC MAY help, but it is not legally recognized.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If the question ever came up, I think it would be decided case-by-case, based on the arguments of lawyers. DC status would form part of an argument that one is "bona fide", but many other things could as well, such as GCA membership AND having 30 Garands.

Meanwhile, the prosecutor will argue against every point your lawyer makes. No doubt they would argue that Mawkie is not a "bona fide collector".

There is no settled answer. There are only arguments both ways, and some arguments are better than others. Then the Court decides.

I think a Designated Collector letter by itself is a VERY, VERY weak argument, but you play the cards you've got.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I think it was an older thread on this forum I came across, someone was mentioning the C&L can open you to random audits but I think it was just for FFL people.

There's an entire forum for C & R and it has a very helpful FAQ section. That section taught me most everything I needed to know about the topic. The C & R license IS an FFL.

Now, back to topic....

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If the question ever came up, I think it would be decided case-by-case, based on the arguments of lawyers. DC status would form part of an argument that one is "bona fide", but many other things could as well, such as GCA membership AND having 30 Garands.

Meanwhile, the prosecutor will argue against every point your lawyer makes. No doubt they would argue that Mawkie is not a "bona fide collector".

There is no settled answer. There are only arguments both ways, and some arguments are better than others. Then the Court decides.

I think a Designated Collector letter by itself is a VERY, VERY weak argument, but you play the cards you've got.

Exactly. Which is why arguing about what I said or didn't say is a complete waste of time. The court will decide because the term "bonafide" is undefined in the statute. having both an FFL 03 and a DC letter would be your best defense IMO

But to Pinecone's point, owning a pile of Garands might be prima facie evidence you're a "bona fide" collector. I guess it's up to the courts as noted.

IANAL.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    But I'm not the arbiter of what is and what isn't. Why are you insisting I am? Who gives a rat's A$$ what I think?

Because you previously stated "I'd have to think that DC would satisfy that portion of the law."

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    I don't see lack of HQL as a factor. You don't need the HQL for C&R handguns anyway, and they are the more collectible ones.

So long as you already own more than one regulated firearm, MSP would consider you a collector, and issue you a letter by and by.

Might as well get it; someday you'll really want to get more than one in a 30 day period, and then you'll be ready for fiscal depletion.

Well... I got the letter today confirming as much. You do NOT need an HQL to be a designated collector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom