• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    I don't know much about the 795, but I did buy a new stainless model 60 last year. Very accurate, but jammed somewhat initially. After about 500 rounds of mini-mags and Federal Auto-Match, the jamming seemed to disappear. To prevent some fouling I began using dry graphite lubricant in the action instead of oil. This worked very well.

Also, when buying I made the mistake of not looking it over as closely as I should have and didn't notice the front sight canted slightly off center. This is apparently a common problem with the "Remlins" from what I've read. I should have sent it back, but scoped it instead. All things considered, I like it very much. It will hit a baseball at 125 yards. Just check them very closely when buying.

BeerHunter

Don't ReMember
    Feb 13, 2013
    SoPROM
    Inherited a pre 1968 (no serial number) Glenfield Model 60 over 25 years ago. Love that rifle and will pass it on to one of my sons. Never shot the 795 and as much as prefer magazine fed guns, I'd have to try out the 795 a while to see if my hands can deal with those little magazines. The tube-fed Model 60 just seems to work well for me.

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    I own both as well; I have tech-sights on my 795 and really enjoy it. Both are accurate in my opinion. A couple of practical points; I find my 795 is better for bench shooting because you do not have to move too much to swap out a mag (assuming you have more than one) as opposed to the 60 where you have to get up, put more rounds in the tube, etc.

Also, I mounted a NIKON Prostaff scope to my 60; really accurate, but having to reload is a slight pain lol. My advice is the 795 first; light-weight and accurate from the box!

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    One consideration in your decision is how you plan to use the rifle. If you think you may do an Appleseed event, or participate in organized shoots like Rimfire Action matches, the box magazine of the 795 is a distinct advantage. It's possible to do both events with the tubular magazine of the Model 60, but much harder to reload...esp on the clock. And for safety during Rimfire matches, tubular mag rifles are kept separate from box mag rifles at the loading tables. (At least that's how it's organized at our club.)

JoeR

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    795. No problems at all. Love it, kids shoot great with it. Have tech sights on it which are awesome. The 25 round pro mags are flawless. Have a bipod on it too. Great fun little plinker.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I use an inexpensive reflex sight on the 795 I have. Nice gun, fun to shoot. I looked at Model 60's a couple times but because of the type of shooting I do the box mag is the way to g

ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    I ended up with a 795 and put a 4x weaver on it . Great gun for the money. Thanks guys!

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I ended up with a 795 and put a 4x weaver on it . Great gun for the money. Thanks guys!

When I first had my 795 I had a lot of FTE issues. When I took it apart to clean it I noticed that some of the black paint on the inside of the gun was getting rubbed off and mucking things up. I cleaned it several times. Also, put about 1000 rounds of mini mags through it over the course of 3 or 4 months and now it is running accurately and reliably.

If the gun has ejection issues initially, it will likely be Ok if you clean it and run a thousand rounds through it.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    60 is a jam o matic. Known to be one for years. I have one and will never sell it--dad bought it for me 22 years ago. ;)

But I dont shoot it because it just ain't reliable. At all.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    60 is a jam o matic. Known to be one for years. I have one and will never sell it--dad bought it for me 22 years ago. ;)

There are lots of little parts in the 60 that can cause jams ... tune all of them correctly and they will shoot 10's of thousands of rounds without another adjustment. Not quite as bad as a Holley Quadrajet, but close; performance when right is equal.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

There are lots of little parts in the 60 that can cause jams ... tune all of them correctly and they will shoot 10's of thousands of rounds without another adjustment. Not quite as bad as a Holley Quadrajet, but close; performance when right is equal.

I think someone may have missed some sarcasm... :innocent0

Love the 60, mine even shoots subsonics without issue.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    almost related to this thread, what is a good price for a Marlin 795? after reading this for a while and leaning 10/22 or marlin 795/60 I've decided marlin 795.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    almost related to this thread, what is a good price for a Marlin 795? after reading this for a while and leaning 10/22 or marlin 795/60 I've decided marlin 795.

Watch Dick's or Gander for the Marlin rebate. I think they can be had for $150 ish on sale. Not sure if local gun shops carry them much.

I was able to get 2 for $99 each a few years ago. Wish I had gotten another one then.

Lo and behold http://gandermountain.shoplocal.com...otionCode=GanderMt-140803&PromotionViewMode=1

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    795 with tech sights is a very light portable rifle.
    I say stay away from the Mossberg Plinkster. My dad had a 710 and the Plinkster guts were not impressive

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And there is a Gander Mountain in Winchester, VA and one in Salisbury.

Looks like they are opening one in Woodbridge, VA soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom