• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I was on the Elk Neck pistol range today around 10:30 - 11:00. I was alone for a little while plinking away on my new Beretta. Well folks did eventually start showing up and one guy set up his target outside the baffles because someone he was with was in a wheel chair. I felt bad about it, but I let him know he couldn't do that and he started getting defensive asking if I was an RSO. I told him no, but the baffles are there to help prevent ricochets.

Not sure how you RSO's feel about this, just want to let you all know it happens. I was talking to a few of the other guys there and they said it's not the first time they have seen that. Pretty sure that is a 'no no'.

Same guy walks out to change his target on a hot range with no cease fire called. I went off the deep end a little bit on the folks there because it just seemed he had no regard for the rules or safety and no one else would speak up. I probably looked like an ass but that is ok. I should have asked to see his permit. I would have bet my next paycheck he didn't have one, just seemed like that type of person. Anyway I gave everyone a good scolding about range safety and the posted rules then packed it up and left.

Not sure how I feel about the public Elk Neck range anymore. Been there a handful of times and honestly from what I have seen, I don't think it is an "if", but a "when" it will eventually close - which really is a shame. It probably is a minority of people that aren't representing the shooting community well, but they are the ones that make the news. Part of the problem are folks who know better but won't speak up when they see it happening. Well that is my rant and I think I might look into a private club.

Being a volunteer RSO at ENSF, I understand your concern. I commend your actions.

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    moojersey, good going ! There is room for another RSO at Elk Neck if you would like to join and you will be rewarded handsomely

This guy ^^^mcbruzdzinski is one of the best instructors ever ......

PM either of us if you would like to take the NRA class.

I think I saw the same guy in the wheel chair when I was RSO, had a hot girlfriend and nice pistols. He parked his BMW with HP lic plates right in the middle of the pistol range road. When I asked him to please park in the reserved Handicapped spot he asked me why. I said that if he fell out of the wheel chair the Paramedics wouldn't be able to reach him in time because some inconsiderate person was blocking their entrance. After all I can't park in the HP spots so he might as well.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Good for you for speaking up! You did the right thing.

Sounds to me like this range needs a full time RSO on each of those ranges, given the amount of dangerous situations going on.
    It makes my decision to go private club even better.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    We would welcome more folks who want to be RSOs. It has been my pleasure to work with and to conduct the NRA RSO class to the ENSF volunteers.

Ideally we could staff the ENSF range with volunteer RSOs not only on weekends but weekdays as well.

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    We would welcome more folks who want to be RSOs. It has been my pleasure to work with and to conduct the NRA RSO class to the ENSF volunteers.

Ideally we could staff the ENSF range with volunteer RSOs not only on weekends but weekdays as well.

What type of training is required to become a volunteer RSO?

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    moojersey, good going ! There is room for another RSO at Elk Neck if you would like to join and you will be rewarded handsomely

This guy ^^^mcbruzdzinski is one of the best instructors ever ......

PM either of us if you would like to take the NRA class.

I think I saw the same guy in the wheel chair when I was RSO, had a hot girlfriend and nice pistols. He parked his BMW with HP lic plates right in the middle of the pistol range road. When I asked him to please park in the reserved Handicapped spot he asked me why. I said that if he fell out of the wheel chair the Paramedics wouldn't be able to reach him in time because some inconsiderate person was blocking their entrance. After all I can't park in the HP spots so he might as well.

Definitely same guy. Rolled right up the road to the pistol range.

embermage

Sep 20, 2013
    Rising Sun
    So who can teach the NRA RSO class? I am in the US Army and have had the military RSO classes and would be willing to come and help out out on the weekends when I can duty permitting.

SSG Baker

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    So who can teach the NRA RSO class? I am in the US Army and have had the military RSO classes and would be willing to come and help out out on the weekends when I can duty permitting.

SSG Baker

The NRA RSO class can be taught by an NRA Training Counselor (who has the Chief Range Safety Officer i.e. CRSO certification) or another NRA CRSO.

I have taught the class at Elk Neck a few times and at FreeState. I have also taught the class for several clubs at the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore.

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Mike has taught many classes for the Elk Neck Range and has encouraged many more people to sign up for the RSO training.

I can tell you first hand that the class that Mike teaches is both interesting and informative.

:gun2:

:gun7:

:gun3:

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Mike has taught many classes for the Elk Neck Range and has encouraged many more people to sign up for the RSO training.

I can tell you first hand that the class that Mike teaches is both interesting and informative.

:gun2:

:gun7:

:gun3:

Thanks!!!

I am debating on offering one for the general public in April or May.

pjd832

Jul 26, 2012
    If you are going to take the class to become an Elk Neck RSO, wait for the class we give for new volunteers (it is cheaper)!!

Am I understanding correctly....that one has to PAY to get certified to volunteer their time/provide a free service for the range?... Being it's not a paid position..it would only seem logical that a person wouldn't have to pay to donate their time....perhaps there would be more people that would do it if it was a free class...just my opinion...

Jolt

May 5, 2013
    Cecil County
    Not to get off topic about the classes but I have a question about the range. Is it permissible to shoot pistols on the rifle side? If I'm mostly shooting rifles it's a bit of a pain to pack everything up and move to the pistol side. Then drag everything back to the rifle side if I want to continue.
    Thanks

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    A long standing debate about this. In the NRA instructors book it states, "Rifles on the Rifle Range and Pistols on the Pistol Range". If this has changed I will be rebuked very quickly.

It's really not that much of an effort, it's a short walk.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom