• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Legally it doesn't matter what he puts on it, barrel profile wise. It is a pre 10/1/13 lower.

IMO, the more textually faithful reading of the (unconstitutional and ill-advised) law is that it had to be in a banned configuration prior to 10/1/13... Though, as a practical matter, no one will know it's 10/1/2013 configuration unless you post threads like this. :innocent0

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Apparently he thinks that 16" barrel is a SBR barrel... :sad20:

exactly, just because they (MSP) are saying you can't build a <29" OAL SBR on a form that states application to manufacture doesn't necessarily mean that you can't at it's simplest form switch around uppers on your pre-ban lowers... Until I see an opinion from the MSP, I will refrain from even responding to speculation on this specific topic since nobody knows for sure. But I will add if you have supporting evidence please show me the link!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    exactly, just because they (MSP) are saying you can't build a <29" OAL SBR on a form that states application to manufacture doesn't necessarily mean that you can't at it's simplest form switch around uppers on your pre-ban lowers... Until I see an opinion from the MSP, I will refrain from even responding to speculation on this specific topic since nobody knows for sure. But I will add if you have supporting evidence please show me the link!

He can't produce a cite that says a 16" barrel qualifies as an SBR barrel, due to NFA stating any rifle barrel <16" is an SBR/pistol barrel. MSP doesn't have anything about a 16" barrel, so he is blowing smoke.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

He can't produce a cite that says a 16" barrel qualifies as an SBR barrel, due to NFA stating any rifle barrel <16" is an SBR/pistol barrel. MSP doesn't have anything about a 16" barrel, so he is blowing smoke.

You two are idiots The full 100% correct MSP info is in the link I posted above.........Maybe if you would be willing to educate youself and clink on the link I provided above you would see what the real facts are :innocent0

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The point is, MSP is considering making an SBR now, it has to follow SB281 and be over 29" of be banned as a copycat. No matter when the lower was purchased.

Based on that, building a rifle now, out of a lower should apply the same test. You have to build it into non-banned form.

If you don't agree, fine, build whatever you want. You are free to interpret the law anyway you want. The question will always be, will MPS and the AG agree?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    The point is, MSP is considering making an SBR now, it has to follow SB281 and be over 29" of be banned as a copycat. No matter when the lower was purchased.

Based on that, building a rifle now, out of a lower should apply the same test. You have to build it into non-banned form.

If you don't agree, fine, build whatever you want. You are free to interpret the law anyway you want. The question will always be, will MPS and the AG agree?

The problem with what you are saying is that it is with an SBR. That rifle is not an SBR. How do I know this? I know this because I assembled the damn rifle in my kitchen! I measured the barrel myself and compared it to the info on the Joe Bob's website. That barrel is 16" long and conforms to the minimum barrel length, so it does not fall under SBR. You aren't listening to what I have said, nor are you willing to see that I am being open and honest about that rifle.

If you want to go with an uber narrow interpretation of FSA 2013, be my guest. Just don't push it on me. I know the rifle is legal, due to how the preban lowers were grandfathered and could be built any way the owner desired. You need to go back and look at the MSP and AG letters from early last year.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Of course, MSP and the AG office have never changed what they say.

The point is, MSP is saying that rifles build now, need to conform to FSA2013 requires no matter when the lower was purchased.

We are SEEING this with SBRs right now.

How you can look at what they are doing with SBRs and say that building a banned configuration NOW if OK is beyond me. No matter what was said in the past.

But if you are happy with it, great. I just hope the owner doesn't get nailed for it at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom