• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I'm looking for some 38 spl +P reload recommendations. I have the below bullets and powders to work with:

Rainier CFN 125 gr
    Hornady XTP 110 gr
    Hornady XTP 125 gr

Bullseye
    Clays
    Unique

I will be shooting them from a 3" SP101. Also, if you have any 357 mag recommendations for the above ingredients it would be appreciated.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I'm looking for some 38 spl +P reload recommendations. I have the below bullets and powders to work with:

Rainier CFN 125 gr
    Hornady XTP 110 gr
    Hornady XTP 125 gr

Bullseye
    Clays
    Unique

I will be shooting them from a 3" SP101. Also, if you have any 357 mag recommendations for the above ingredients it would be appreciated.

Seriously...... reference loading manuals.

Bullseye is a 'fast' powder, and IMNSHO, is not going to be worthwhile for a +P load. ("No headroom".)

I've never used Clays, so, I can't/won't comment on it.

Unique is exactly what the name says. It's unique.
    Very good powder.

Consult loading manuals. Yes, more than one.

Personally, I don't 'hotrod' my .38 Specials. That's what .357 magnum(s) are for.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    +1
    That's what I was thinking too.
    OP, you need to go to the powder manufactures website and look into their suggested load data.

The guy said he owns a manual, why bust his chops when he asks other reloaders for recommendations for loads they may have developed? It seems like we are developing some short triggers here.

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    Unique would be the best to work up some +p loads with the Hornady 110gr or 125gr XTP.
    110gr XTP Unique start 5.2gr max 6.3gr
    125gr XTP Unique start 5.1gr max 5.8gr

Start low and work up.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    The guy said he owns a manual, why bust his chops when he asks other reloaders for recommendations for loads they may have developed? It seems like we are developing some short triggers here.

No short trigger here, I just suggested he look at manufactures data.
    Do you have some loads you would like to share? Or do you just want to bust my chops.:D

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010

No short triggers here! What shoots good in my gun may not shoot good in your gun. OP needs to develop his own +P load......................

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    No short trigger here, I just suggested he look at manufactures data.
    Do you have some loads you would like to share? Or do you just want to bust my chops.:D

I don't reload, yet, so I will settle for busting your chops :lol2: If and when I get to the point where I start to reload I am sure to be asking some "NOOBISH" questions here. Reading about something, anything in fact, is a good start but knowledge from someone that actually does said thing is priceless.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I don't reload, yet, so I will settle for busting your chops :lol2: If and when I get to the point where I start to reload I am sure to be asking some "NOOBISH" questions here. Reading about something, anything in fact, is a good start but knowledge from someone that actually does said thing is priceless.

I just started reloading in the last year and reloading manuals are a wealth of knowledge for sure.
    Marauder I's spot on with his post about what works in my gun might not be the best in yours.
    Definately start at minimums and work up to what shoots the best in your firearm, and be mindful of pressure signs.:thumbsup:

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Yes, but looking for some other favorites.

Everybody has their favorites BUT they are opinions and you know what they say about them.

Just because a certain load does great in a Smith 66 doesn't mean it will be great in a Security Six. get the manual and try different stuff out for yourself. Just my .02.

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I have been experimenting, for instance:
    Rainier CFN 125 gr 4.7 gr Bullseye - shot pretty strong but seemed a little inaccurate (low and to the left at 10 ft)
    Rainier CFN 125 gr 5.5 gr Unique - little softer than Bullseye above, more accurate but about 1/3 keyholes (crimp may have been too loose)

Was just looking for others experiences. Thanks

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Rainier CFN 125 gr 4.7 gr Bullseye - shot pretty strong but seemed a little inaccurate (low and to the left at 10 ft)
    Rainier CFN 125 gr 5.5 gr Unique - little softer than Bullseye above, more accurate but about 1/3 keyholes (crimp may have been too loose)

Are these loads minimums? Have you tried going up or down a tenth of a grain at a time to see how much of a difference it makes?
    I was surprised at how much of a difference 1 or 2 tenths of a grain made in my loads.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Those powder amounts are def not min for a 38.

With unique I'm using 5.6 in a 45acp.... that's a lot of powder for a 38spc.....

While I'm not loading p+ I'm only doing target loads I'm way below your posted charge I'm down at 3.5 with a 148 DEWC.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    The best thing to do is to develop your own pet load for your gun.

Start at the minimum load data in your book and load 12 rounds for each recipe for the different powder and bullet you have.

Keep very accurate notes and label each of your rounds.

I use little ziplock bags to keep the rounds well labeled and separate targets to compare groups of all the different loads.

I have .38 / .357 pet loads for each gun I have. With gun barrels that range between 2 inch and 18 inches one pet load does not work.

My 38 / 357's prefers a heaver bullet in the 148 grain through 175 grain range.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I've had good luck with bullseye in 38 and 357, although I like heavier bullets, they tend to shoot better for me with light and moderate loads, the light 125 and under XTP bullets seem to like a hotter load and I usually use longshot. Rainiers over bullseye will group tighter and tighter as velocity increases, then all of a sudden accuracy falls off, I guess where the pressure deforms the bullet, more so in 357mag than 38+p. Loading low pressure revolver calibers takes a bit more attention to consistent crimping, while bullseye lights easy enough that it isn't overly sensitive to large air volumes, a decent crimp helps accuracy, and it is fairly sensitive to inconsistent throws, small changes in charge change velocity a good bit, and being a flake, it doesn't meter as well as some other choices.

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010

Unique likes to be mid to max powder charge range with a firm crimp. Try the 125 XTP with the same 5.5gr charge with a firm crimp.

I would stick with Bullseye with the Rainier's, because you can only lightly crimp plated bullets. Bullseye is a fast powder and only needs a light crimp to build pressure. Hope this helps.

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I appreciate the comments. As a relatively new reloader information from those more experienced is invaluable.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I read something yesterday which might apply but I found too advanced for me at this point>
    Something to do with the use of a Magnum primer?? I am not familiar with .38 / .357 M but do they use the same cartridge? The Magnum primer is said to produce ~5,000 more cup so how might that fall into play with making a +P load for a .38?
    If the .38 uses small pistol primers, reducing the powder charge and introducing a Magnum small pistol primer with a slower burning powder might ... well I do not know and am only throwing this out for knowledgeable comments, I am not trying it!

I actually received a box of Magnum Small Pistol primers in error at a gun show this weekend and will be offering up for sale/trade.
    I am a fairly new reloader so I am asking for info not a chops busting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom