• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Armed security guards in md need a permit, usually restricted to work sites etc. However, has anyone tried to get restrictions lifted due to the nature of the security work they do?

I seem to be reading and hearing LEO have now been labeled as "different" then the normal citizen, doesnt some security have some of the same duties or concerns for safety?

Again, why is someone qualified to carry a gun for work in a situation that puts them in harms way, but suddenly when they go home and go to the mail with their families are not, even when the same bad guy could be in either place.

Enough venting.......

TD

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Only if the agency sends a letter to MSP requesting a change in restrictions for one or all of it's staff. The guard would not be able to on his/her own since it's the agency that has given permission for a permit for an employee working under their license. I'm sure someone else will chime in if I'm not 100% correct on this. Chris

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Only if the agency sends a letter to MSP requesting a change in restrictions for one or all of it's staff. The guard would not be able to on his/her own since it's the agency that has given permission for a permit for an employee working under their license. I'm sure someone else will chime in if I'm not 100% correct on this. Chris
    MSP would laugh at a request by a security guard agency to issue unrestricted permits to security guards. The HPRB would likely do the same. Absent verifiable death threats or other G&S the security profession when off duty is no more at risk than the soccer mom.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    You are right on the unrestricted permit as very few have them any more but they might extend carry from job site to home when off duty. But from what I understand some of the agencies use pass along firearms from guard to the next guard on duty. I see many uniformed guards that are off duty waiting for a bus or going to the post office (big NO NO) armed in the city. I'm thinking either BCPD could care less or their agency has extended duty hours to include travel time from home to job site. Of course some guards will think that's anywhere in between. Chris

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    My restrictions are 2hours prior and post duty. Every other weekend I am on call and thought about using that as well as recent security breaches and threats to see if I could get my restrictions lifted. Seems to be a long process and a slim chance and we are moving to West Virginia next spring so I havent bothered to submit the paperwork to modify my permit.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    There are many parallels in some security work and police work. I am talking About a separate permit from the work one security would have. G&S reason would put a person at greater risk than the ordinary person, doesn't doing certain type security work do just that?

I don't mean to have the security company giving unrestricted permits. I mean use the type work as a G&S reason for person being at possible risk.

TD

pitbull

Jan 23, 2013
    When I was a bouncer I had people tell me they "would come back for me" one way or another usually once a week. Sometimes even right in front of local pa working secondary each time I asked the Leo if that would count towards a ccw. They usually just laughed. ugh

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To\ from work is common. Once upon a time, supervisors on 24hr call to provide rapid response was semi common, but MSP greatly tightened up if not eliminated 20+ yr ago.

Otherwise requires ususal G&S .

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    If you are on call 24/7 and the company says you are on duty that should be covered by the permit that says while on duty.

TD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom