• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm still exploring the Galil Micro option... I'll try to summarize my findings by the end of the week. I am starting to become somewhat more hopeful that a mostly-authentic Micro build (stock would be regular Galil) could be done for $1700 or less, including stamp and build. The truth is, even the Israelis tend to have rather diverse guns, so being slightly funky isn't the end of the world.

Question: true Micro Galil receiver is or is not regulated? I'm not seeing any reason it should be, given that the law specifies AR and ARM, but the MSP has surprised me before.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    I see no law against the micro but where are you geting one for that kind of money is it a left side cocking ? IDK if i was going micro galil I would want it to look true.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I don't think all true Micros actually have LHS cocking handles. In fact, it seems to be a fairly rare modification. If you look at pictures online, you can see both versions.

I wasn't really asking about the legality of the Micro, but whether the receiver alone would require an MSP check. You'd think not, since you can't build an ARM or AR out of it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    OK, spoke with Tenngalil on the phone. Here's the scoop on the Micro:

Simply put, receiver is $375-$400 (Clyde Armory or CNC Warrior), demill parts kit is $1600-$1700, and build is $500-$600. IOW, you're running about $2500 if you somehow can do it yourself, and $3000 if not. I was cautioned emphatically to not bother with Blackthorne; their parts are crap. He also said that bothering with ORF receivers was a waste of time, given that you can get much better stuff from Clyde Armory or (soon) CNCWarrior.

On the SAR front, he basically advocated just doing the chop on a working Golan and not bothering with a true SAR build, due to the fact that SARs tend not to sell as well as ARMs or Micros. Troy at Inrange seemed more willing to do a proper SAR conversion from a parts kit, though.

So, frankly, I think I'm going to need to bow out from the Micro and go with an SAR. I just cannot stomach spending $3000 on this project right now, especially with so much other work to be done. I'll keep my eyes open for a cheap working Golani with a GLN receiver and proceed from there. If, in the future, we ever see an influx of cheap Micro kits (possible, if the parts kit ban ever gets lifted), I may go for it.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    AKpartskits.com has both SAR and Micro kits for about $900. The Micro has an American Barrel, but the SAR is suposed to be original.

Edit: THe SAR is $825, the Micro is $930.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    That would be the Blackthorne kit I was told never to use by Tenngalil. :) There's gotta be better stuff online...

bnich82

African American w/a Gun!
    Dec 8, 2011
    Talk about raising a post from the dead....:innocent0

Given SB281 passing, I want to pickup a Galil receiver for a later build by a gunsmith. I would like a SBR and wondering what additional light you guys can shed on the subject on SAR SBR vs Galil Micro and if the SAR route is still the best way to go?

Given this thread is 2 years old, I'm hoping you've completed a Galil build and can help shed some light for newcomers like myself.

Thanks

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yes, my Galil SAR is built and complete. Shoots like a dream, too.

To be honest, the big issue with Galil builds these days is parts availability. The parts kits have totally dried up, and they get more expensive every day. You're going to need to commit serious money to a Galil build now, even ignoring the tax stamp. My gut feeling is that for a high quality build, you'll be highly likely to exceed $2000 when you factor in build costs for a normal Galil, be it AR or SAR.

Again, I love my SAR. It's just that going from $230 parts kits to $800 parts kits changes the value equation one hell of a lot.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    I wanted a Micro the true kits were being sold by one guy and he is no longer selling them. A SBR before Oct. is cutting it close IMO
    I would say buy pieces and have turbothis reweld one for you or buy a CNC warrior and sit on it till a SAR kit comes up for sale snag a ARM barrel also they are drying up 2

bnich82

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks for the replies guys. The old noodle is spinning trying to cram all the Galil info in so I can make an informed decision. Here is the receiver I'm looking at for an eventual build once production runs open up:

http://www.cncwarrior.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=24100

I figured as long as I have my receiver with serial # and Form 1 filled via my Trust before Oct 1st, that I would be golden....also looking to pickup a few milled AK 47/74 receivers to mate with parts kits down the line....

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    Thanks for the replies guys. The old noodle is spinning trying to cram all the Galil info in so I can make an informed decision. Here is the receiver I'm looking at for an eventual build once production runs open up:

http://www.cncwarrior.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=24100

I figured as long as I have my receiver with serial # and Form 1 filled via my Trust before Oct 1st, that I would be golden....also looking to pickup a few milled AK 47/74 receivers to mate with parts kits down the line....

that is the 308 one you dont want that do you?
    this is what u want
    http://www.cncwarrior.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=24099
    but he just did a run so it may be after the ban till he dose another

bnich82

Dec 8, 2011
    Yeah I would be looking for a 308 receiver. I like the .223 cartridge, but my ARs handle that nicely and other firearms cambered in the .223 caliber really dont do it for me :confused: other than maybe the Ruger Mini-14

I'm hoping to get in on a group buy at a few other sites....if there is interest here and we could get 50 people to commit, we could do a group buy...

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    Yeah I would be looking for a 308 receiver. I like the .223 cartridge, but my ARs handle that nicely and other firearms cambered in the .223 caliber really dont do it for me :confused: other than maybe the Ruger Mini-14

I'm hoping to get in on a group buy at a few other sites....if there is interest here and we could get 50 people to commit, we could do a group buy...

well you opened a whole other can of worms with the 308 no kits Except for expensive put together or a HINDI. Barrel will be GM vs OEM.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I still haven't sent mine to Tenngalil to have built. :sad20:
    He agreed to do both the Galil and one of my Krinks, but I only just got the tax stamp for the Krink a few months ago (after a 9 month wait). So I need to get back with him to iron out the details again. honestly, I might wait till after October 1 to have the builds done; and spend the money on a few "soon to be banned" rifles instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom