• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    OK,
    I'm going to be looking for a 1903A3 at Chantilly next weekend. If not there, then I'm still going to be looking for one.

My priorities are :
    1) Shootable
    2) Unmolested
    3) WWII dated
    4) Good muzzle reading (I think I'd want 2 or lower?)

What price would be fair for above?

I don't necessarily care about "correctness" or rearsinal so long as the US gov did the work.

I think the first thing is a crash course in what to look for to satisfy #2 and #3.

thx for any help.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Just to be sure, the Chantilly show's the weekend after this one (weekend of the 26th).
    You're likely to see alotta 'A3s there and I reckon you're looking at ~$700+, depending on condition and brand. Be sure to bring your bore/muzzle gages. I recently restored a decommissioned 'A3 drill rifle and I'll probably be at the show with a friend if you want a second opinion before you buy anything.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    thx for reply, yes, the weekend after this.
    Bringing my 2 teenage boys and my dad on his scooter :)

YUP, the muzzle gauge I got for this specific purpose.
    Is there a list someone has for Serial # dates by brand?
    Whats the most desirable for brands and which tend to have the best quality?

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    thx for reply, yes, the weekend after this.
    Bringing my 2 teenage boys and my dad on his scooter :)
    You're gonna have your hands full. It's a pretty crowded floor.

Is there a list someone has for Serial # dates by brand?
    Click me

Whats the most desirable for brands and which tend to have the best quality?
    Most desirable: Smith-Corona.
    Best quality: I don't think there was much of a difference, qualitatively, when new. Now, it's a case of condition rather than quality.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Were earlier 1903 rifles converted/updated? I'd rather not get an updated one.

What's the word on different kinds of stocks? I guess I should study what the correct stock looks like.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    As far as I know, the government performed no mass conversions of '03s to '03-A3 form for WWII. Considering the forward location of its rear sight and "grasping grooves" on either side of the '03's lower stock, they're easy to tell apart from the later 'A3, which had its rear sight installed atop the receiver's rear bridge and lacked the "grasping grooves".

There're three styles of stocks: S or standard, which all (but sniper) Springfields were originally fitted with, is more or less straight along the lower side; Scant, which has a slight handgrip shape and was generally a replacement [and, to my eye, the most attractive of the group]; and C, which has a clearly defined handgrip and, to the best of my knowledge, was [originally] fit only to sniper models.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Were earlier 1903 rifles converted/updated? I'd rather not get an updated one.

What's the word on different kinds of stocks? I guess I should study what the correct stock looks like.

No. No M1903's were converted to M1903A3 simply because that was impossible. The 03A3 receiver is different in having a dovetail on the rear bridge for attachment of the rear sight.

All 03A3's are WWII production. I believe 03A3 production started in 1942 when Remington switched over their 03 production. You have the choice of Smith-Corona or Remington.

If done right, drill rifle restorations are safe to shoot, but don't pay top dollar for one. Inspect the rifle well to make sure it's not a drill rifle rebuild, unless it's priced right.

Don't overpay for an 03A3. If you look around hard enough (maybe not the Chantilly show), you can find good condition 03A3's for around $600.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Do not buy an 03A3 that was made by "restoring" or "recovering" a drill rifle.
    As long as you're restoring for the love of it, willing to expend the additional time/effort/money, the work's performed well and you have your work checked by a gunsmith prior to use, I think it's a wonderful thing to do.
    Springy began life as a decommissioned drill rifle and she's the best shooter out of the half dozen or so I've shot (and, by far, my favourite of all the guns I've shot or own):

Attachments

• 1903-A3 New Stock 800.jpg
      1903-A3 New Stock 800.jpg
      183.7 KB · Views: 1,868
    • 6241, 30-06 & leather 003+2__-2_tonemapped.jpg
      6241, 30-06 & leather 003+2__-2_tonemapped.jpg
      96.9 KB · Views: 1,924

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Isn't it true to say that all 1903A3's, either Smith-Corona or Remington, were manufactured during WWII?

No. No M1903's were converted to M1903A3 simply because that was impossible. The 03A3 receiver is different in having a dovetail on the rear bridge for attachment of the rear sight.

All 03A3's are WWII production. I believe 03A3 production started in 1942 when Remington switched over their 03 production. You have the choice of Smith-Corona or Remington.

If done right, drill rifle restorations are safe to shoot, but don't pay top dollar for one. Inspect the rifle well to make sure it's not a drill rifle rebuild, unless it's priced right.

Don't overpay for an 03A3. If you look around hard enough (maybe not the Chantilly show), you can find good condition 03A3's for around $600.

This ^^^.
    Although average condition 03A3's in decent shootable condition are running ~ $600.00 to $800.00, all original as produced by factory (Rem or SC) in mint condition can easily bring up to $1500.00, but I would not recommend this tier level to the average shooter (person).

Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    There are a ton of 1903's of 03A3's that were sporterized (I have one) and they seem to sell pretty cheap. To my untrained eye, some of them look like they could be converted back without too much effort.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Park should look green or gray? I see stu's comment on the one @ Scotts about "black greek" park.

DennisCA

There are a ton of 1903's of 03A3's that were sporterized (I have one) and they seem to sell pretty cheap. To my untrained eye, some of them look like they could be converted back without too much effort.

Ack - I have one too (A M1903a3 that has been sporterized):
    :thumbsup:
    k2x5.jpg

1943 Remington M1903a3
    I bought from a guy last summer for about $400, which IMHO wasn't too bad.
    Yes - It's a future-future restoration project, but in the mean time I'll enjoy shooting it.
    (and shoots really well)
    :party29:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Got a Smith Corona
    1943 dated in great condition
    Got from a guy I have talked to each time I have been here.
    0.5 muzzle
    Will post pics

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    So glad I got that muzzle gauge. There were a couple lower priced ones in the $600 range that had readings of 2 or 3. now that I look at this its just a smidgen over 0, not even .5.
    Bore light, the bore is very clean. Action is smooth.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
      photo 1.JPG
      22.2 KB · Views: 899
    • photo 2.JPG
      photo 2.JPG
      25.5 KB · Views: 887
    • photo 3.JPG
      photo 3.JPG
      28.6 KB · Views: 869
    • photo 4.JPG
      photo 4.JPG