• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pablopac

pablopac
    Aug 7, 2012
    I work with a physician who just completed the course recently. He advised that one of the speakers in his HQL noted that once your firearms are registered, they show up on a data field when you are stopped on the road by PD. (not carry permit folks only...and not that it matters) Can anyone confirm?

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    [/B]

For the HQL they don't call your ex-girlfriend/wife and ask her if she thinks you should be allowed to own a gun.

Right, that's what I meant, the HQL is no more invasive than the proctology exam to get a carry permit.:)

Mr H

Banana'd
    Let me ask, I was told that by law all the forms and info we used to get our previous handguns were supposed to be destroyed within some timeframe after approval. Any truth to this? He brought this up when I said the state already had my info.

NICS records (though I forget the detail... 30 days?) are supposed to "go away".

The state considers any "regulated firearm" purchases as registered, so yes... for those they keep permanent records.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    ^^^^^^^^^

THIS ETA-NICS records must be destroyed the next business day after the check. thanks Hawkeye. good handle BTW

You can move out of state or sell the gun out of state. As far as MSP is concerned, it's still yours because they don't updater the registry.

brilliant.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Let me ask, I was told that by law all the forms and info we used to get our previous handguns were supposed to be destroyed within some timeframe after approval. Any truth to this? He brought this up when I said the state already had my info.

Records passed through NICS are required to be destroyed by the start of the next business day after the check is run. The form 4473 is kept by the FFL and surrendered to the ATF should that FFL ever cease business.

The Maryland state paperwork is entered into a database and that information is kept by the state in perpetuity, thus acting as a registry. The state DOES definitely have your info if you own a handgun or what used to be a regulated long gun.

I can only repeat what I heard at one of the hearings a few years ago. I believe that is true, but the MDSP has been keeping all records of gun sales. Which I've heard some argue is a de-facto gun registration.

The only specific records that Maryland has are related to (Maryland) Regulated Firearms. (I.E. a regulated (now banned) long gun or a handgun.) If you have ever purchased either of those in Maryland they have those records. For non-regulated long guns, they have no record because all the paperwork on those is Federal, not Maryland.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I work with a physician who just completed the course recently. He advised that one of the speakers in his HQL noted that once your firearms are registered, they show up on a data field when you are stopped on the road by PD. (not carry permit folks only...and not that it matters) Can anyone confirm?

The LEO who pulls you over CAN get that information, if they specifically search for it, but it does not come up automatically.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    a similar law was struck down in CA a few months ago. It was the CCW and still having to go thru their 10 day hold. CCW were vetted through their state justice dept.

Dunno if that ruling would be used to at least get rid of the 7 day hold if all 7 day holds are for regulated (hand) guns and all regulated guns can't be purchased without an HQL.

The 10 day wait was struck down for those that already own a firearm, not for new purchases. And while it is currently overturned, the case is far from finished. It will be appealed and there will probably be a stay on the finding while it is appealed.

But, it could be used to eliminate the 7 day wait in MD, for current handgun owners.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

While LEOs have access to the "regulated" list that MSP keeps, it is not directly attached to your drivers license, HQL, or carry permit. As a matter of fact the HQL and carry permit are not attached to your drivers license either, a LEO would have to go look for that in another database as well.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The sphinx will be happy to mail MSP my HQL once the MD exit is finalized.

Just keep the HQL the more garbage in their database the better for everyone else. Let them waste their time looking for people who are no longer in the state if they ever try to confiscate.

RUOMO10

Dec 16, 2012
    Maryland
    I have also held out on getting my HQL but I finally saw something I could not pass up. I don't like it, but I need new toy.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Just keep the HQL the more garbage in their database the better for everyone else. Let them waste their time looking for people who are no longer in the state if they ever try to confiscate.

Here's how we could really mess with the database:

We start selling pistols to friendly people in other states. legally of course through an FFL. Then those people sell the same pistol back to a different Marylander. Repeat the process multiple times with the same gun.

Soon the database will be filled with guns which are registered to multiple people, as well as many people listed as having guns they no longer own. The database would become hopelessly compromised and worthless.

Hilarity ensues.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

We start selling pistols to friendly people in other states. legally of course through an FFL. Then those people sell the same pistol back to a different Marylander. Repeat the process multiple times with the same gun.

Soon the database will be filled with guns which are registered to multiple people, as well as many people listed as having guns they no longer own. The database would become hopelessly compromised and worthless.

Hilarity ensues.

It's simpler to make the database hopeless by taking a few hundred cheap handguns and transferring them continuously between a few hundred MD residents. No need to go out of state.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Call me a glass-half-full kinda' guy.

Hilarity ensues.

And so will 'no knock' raids ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom