• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Maybe some of the anxiety comes from doing any type of paperwork where any goober picker can stand next to you, gawking at it while you fill in the information. A little tin foil adjustment needed but it's still a lot of personal information that most people are not used to filling out in public.

Funny this thread came up, I was in Dicks Sporting Goods in Bel Air looking at ammo and a gentleman was filling out some form on a computer and was voicing some displeasure. I guess he was doing firearm paperwork, but I decided I should walk away for a bit instead of standing there like every other swinging dick.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    LOL - Yep.

If DSG gave him the nerves I'm afraid LOU45 will have him wettin' his pants. However, I'm sure he would have had his gun that day with LOU45's help in filling the form out correctly.

If you bring him in, first make sure he's wearin' his depends. :lol2:

Yeah, there's ways of LEGALLY working with the customer in regard to potential mistakes on the forms. The dealer just has to KNOW HOW to LEGALLY do it.

BrewDoc_MD

Piss off, ghost!
    Apr 25, 2012
    Myersville, MD
    FWIW, one time someone was trying to have a conversation with me while I was filling out paperwork. I accidentally put my DOB in the space for the date of the gun purchase. I immediately realized my mistake and told the clerk, who told me to cross it out, put the correct date next to it, and initial it. This was an IP and I'd done lots of transfers there before (and since), so they knew me pretty well. A few minutes later we were approved and good to go. I walked out with my new rifle.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    FWIW, one time someone was trying to have a conversation with me while I was filling out paperwork. I accidentally put my DOB in the space for the date of the gun purchase. I immediately realized my mistake and told the clerk, who told me to cross it out, put the correct date next to it, and initial it. This was an IP and I'd done lots of transfers there before (and since), so they knew me pretty well. A few minutes later we were approved and good to go. I walked out with my new rifle.

THIS ^^^ is one of the many reasons why I don't want any of my customers talking with anybody while they're doing paperwork.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    So, let's say I'm stupid, have made a straw purchase before and answered yes. IT comes back denied. There is no appeal process and after "whatever time" I go try a purchase again and this time answer no. There, I get my gun.

Sooooo, where is the consequence for having done a straw purchase (if not having been arrested for it at some point) if I could just explain I made a mistake and checked the "wrong box"?

Supposedly, if you answer that question that way and BATFE finds out, they may come and have a chat with you.

Rubber hoses optional for the chat.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I find that a lot of people make "certain" mistakes with the paperwork on a frequent basis. These are common mistakes as they happen somewhat frequently to very frequently. I know where the frequently made common mistakes are on the forms and pay special attention to those areas when reviewing forms (Bear in mind, I've been in this business for more than 30 years and most likely the "gran'pappy" of IP's on this forum, so I've seen a lot of forms flow through Shooters Discount). These mistakes happen with the best of people with the overall average of one or more mistakes being made on the form(s) is about 30%. The state forms (77R's) really suck because they are not worded correctly, words or sentences omitted, words added that shouldn't be there, or the choice of answers being YES or NO, plus N/A where potentially applicable, with the N/A answer omitted. Yeah, that's our state of MD where the Baltimore Chitty logo was or still is, "The city that reads". Hhhmmmm, I wonder if they are referring to "HUUKT ON FONIKZ". The Federal Form 4473 is a lot better executed as it doesn't (or rarely) have any mistakes within the form context, though some people, due to very limited education and/or not well versed in the English language may not understand the verbiage of some of the questions.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    You don't know how good life is until Lou smacks you upside your head for making another mistake on one of his forms. :innocent0

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I don't see the point in berating the guy, mistakes happen. If you guys make it through your entire life without accidentally incorrectly checking a box on a form you're doing better than me!

I'm in agreement with you. Hell, 1/2 the time everyone is bantering back and forth all while filling out the form (Lou has a good reason for not not allowing talking while filling out the forms). All it takes is a moment of distraction especially if you are not at all familiar with the process.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Some of the questions on those forms are lawyer speak double talk and anyone can make a mistake.
    Then again- I was in an LGS yesterday and a Balt County officer, white guy, was filling out paperwork on a hand gun. When the salesman looked at it he looked at the guy and asked"are you African American?". The officer had written in the wrong letter. He said "I'm so used to writing B on my reports it was instinctive". Not saying what district. Mistakes happen, but at least the LGS checked the paper work before sending it in.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you bring him in, first make sure he's wearin' his depends. :lol2:

Yeah, there's ways of LEGALLY working with the customer in regard to potential mistakes on the forms. The dealer just has to KNOW HOW to LEGALLY do it.

I've always had help filling out forms wherever I've purchased guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom