• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    You mean like the Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto? They held out for a long time, IIRC. Too bad the Soviet tanks were waiting outside Warsaw. Stalin didn't need local heroes around after the war so he waited until they were all killed before moving in.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I feel as though THAT article is demeaning to the Jewish people, to suggest that a properly armed Jewish population could not defend themselves against the Nazis to some degree. (Note the difference between waging all-out war and simply protecting themselves and their way of life)

Worse than that, the opinion piece sets up a silly strawman argument. Of course, once the Nazi war machine was fully implemented, a small localized resistance force wouldn't be that much of a barrier. However, the much more interesting case is could armed resistance earlier have prevented the Nazis from forcing Jews into ghettos and concentration camps. That is a good and very real question for "counter-historical" analysis!

I'm hardly a scholar of Israeli history, but I could argue that the above case of a small force of resistors is EXACTLY what happened during the formation of the state of Israel and its opposition, both internal and external.

JoeR

Pretoria78

URX Fan
    Mar 30, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    You mean like the Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto? They held out for a long time, IIRC. Too bad the Soviet tanks were waiting outside Warsaw. Stalin didn't need local heroes around after the war so he waited until they were all killed before moving in.

You're conflating the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising of April 1943 with the Warsaw Uprising (by elements of the Polish Home Army) in August-October 1944. Your conclusion is correct, though. The Soviets claimed that they had essentially outrun their supply lines during Operation Bagration, and the German retreat westwards had been so rapid, that they couldn't assist the Poles. I don't buy that for a second.

The Soviets fought a low level insurgency in the Baltics until about 1956 against various groups opposed to Soviet rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom