• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MRA

Dec 10, 2010
    Damascus
    I gave my bench several coats of polyurethane spar varnish w/o stain. It stands up fairly well. I know people that put a masonite top over the wood. Then when the masonite wears down some, you replace it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I put a matte white laminate on my bench top. Easy to clean (smooth, non-porous) and the white allows me to see small parts and primers and powder granuales easily.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Go to Home Depot or Lowes & buy a ready made, Formica covered kitchen counter top.

Bolt it down = done.

It cleans up with soap & water.

It has a built in back splash to keep stuff from rolling off of the back...

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    I used a brown hammertone paint that was as close to the wood stain color I could find.

IMAG1210.jpg

IMAG1256.jpg

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I just recently built a new workbench. my old one was 22" x 48" and kind of wobbly - it was the first workbench I built roughly 20 years ago, and I threw it together out of scrap.

My current bench is 30" x 60" (that's all I had space for where I put it) and the extra real estate is nice - wish it was a bit bigger, but it is what it is.

I covered mine with tempered Masonite. Some people talk about replacing it when it wears down, but my other workbench is about 12 years old, and I'm nowhere near needing to replace the work top on that, so from my perspective, tempered Masonite is a good way to go.

This bench is sitting on 2 cabinets that I'd gotten from my brother-in-law who rescued them out of a dumpster. I did a couple of niceties to the bench - I built the work top out of 3/4" oak plywood, added back and side splashes to keep things from rolling off the back or sides. I also covered the plywood edges with 3/4" wide iron-on oak veneer, so I sanded and poly'd those, as well as some trim on the front of the cabinets. I also covered the leading edge with a 1/4" strip of oak, trimmed to spec on my table saw. The whole thing is locked together and is pretty damned solid.

I built this as a platform for my new Hornady Lock-n-Load AP press. The jury is still out on the press.

This is what my bench looked like before I put my shelf back on it and mounted the Hornady press.

20150430_184054_zpspwztfke2.jpg

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    BTW, my bench top it 3/4" birch ply doubled, using glue and screws.

Legs are doubled 2x4, with a 1/2" ply lower shelf that is bullet (HEAVY) storage. Back panel is 1/4" ply. All joints, glued and screwed.

Build your bench STRONG and HEAVY.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Bench finish

I didn't use anything. The benches are in the basement and not in the living room. I am a rough carpenter or no carpenter at all.:rolleyes:
    I was in such a hurry I screwed and glued them together and loaded stuff on top and on the shelves as soon as they were together(and the glue wasn't dry).
    I did use a sheet of masonite on top, but that was mainly because my "plug" construction required that as part of the basic design.
    I can't imagine that they will wear out.
    HOWEVER, my hat is off to those who finish their benches nicely. I read somewhere that one of the marks of a good gunsmith was how he finished his homemade bench blocks. I suppose that carries over to the reloaders.
    bench20098.jpg

DocAitch

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    This is a pic of John Moses Browning's workbench. DocAitch, I don't think you have anything to worry about. :D

workbench.jpg

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    trickg,
    I like the open drawers and the tools strewn hither and yon.
    By the way, your bench looks great!
    Thanks
    DocAitch
    You have to figure that obviously we're not all going to be JMBs, but a super tidy workshop is not necessarily a recipe for great work.

I appreciate the compliment on the bench. I should post a newer pic with my Hornady Lock N Load mounted, along with the shelf I put on it. I almost didn't want to put the shelf on it because it took up some room, but I had to have a place to keep my stuff handy.

05dodgedaytona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2009
    Cecil County
    You have to figure that obviously we're not all going to be JMBs, but a super tidy workshop is not necessarily a recipe for great work.

I appreciate the compliment on the bench. I should post a newer pic with my Hornady Lock N Load mounted, along with the shelf I put on it. I almost didn't want to put the shelf on it because it took up some room, but I had to have a place to keep my stuff handy.

How do you like the Hornady Lock N Load press?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    How do you like the Hornady Lock N Load press?
    Too soon to tell, although in doing some .45 ACP right after I got it set up, I don't know if it's something to do with the setup or what, but if it doesn't smooth out and the quirks don't go away, I'm going to dump it for a Dillon. I think it has potential to be a good press, but it hasn't overly impressed me yet.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Too soon to tell, although in doing some .45 ACP right after I got it set up, I don't know if it's something to do with the setup or what, but if it doesn't smooth out and the quirks don't go away, I'm going to dump it for a Dillon. I think it has potential to be a good press, but it hasn't overly impressed me yet.

Ask Browninguy for some tips. He runs one and reloads A LOT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom