• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Bolt gun noob here. Just picked up a Remington 700 AAC in .308. With a factory 1/10 twist. Ordered a Vortex 6.5-20x50 viper scope. Planning on using a Larue 20 moa base as I would occasionally like to shoot past 500 yards once my skill set improves to that point. My big confusion at this point is if I can use what most ring manufacturers consider a low or medium ring when mounting this scope? You guys all seem very knowledgable about this sort of thing so I figured what better place to ask. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 142629

I just bought these two, im looking to build for my first ling distance rifles. So im in for info here..

Attachments

• IMG_9847.JPG
      IMG_9847.JPG
      65.5 KB · Views: 643

hard_core_emt

Mar 21, 2010
    Oakland, MD
    Here is my freshly built Savage 110 in a 7mm Mag.
    Boyds Thumb hole stock in Sky Blue , Pillar and glass bedded.
    Timney Trigger set @ 2.5#
    Fluted Bolt by Twisted Barrel
    Tactical bolt handle
    E.R. Shaw 416R SS Varmint contour barrel w/ custom brake by RWB Innovations
    EGW 20 moa Base
    Weaver Tactical 30mm rings
    Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50 scope
    Titanium Cerakote finish

Attachments

• 20150309_210649-1.jpg
      20150309_210649-1.jpg
      69.6 KB · Views: 602
    • 20150309_210619.jpg
      20150309_210619.jpg
      75 KB · Views: 558
    • 20150309_210704-2.jpg
      20150309_210704-2.jpg
      70.9 KB · Views: 570

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Finally picked up a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock for my Remington 700. Can't wait to shoot it.uch better then that Hogue stock from the factory.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      45.3 KB · Views: 547

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I just bought these two, im looking to build for my first ling distance rifles. So im in for info here..

The best advice I can give about the remington 700 series like these are throw the stock and trigger in the garbage can. The factory hogue stock is really flexible and do not make good candidates for bipods. I am working on a Timney trigger for mine as well. Shot a friends with a Timney and the difference was noticeable. Other then that they are great shooters. What caliber are yours?

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    The best advice I can give about the remington 700 series like these are throw the stock and trigger in the garbage can. The factory hogue stock is really flexible and do not make good candidates for bipods. I am working on a Timney trigger for mine as well. Shot a friends with a Timney and the difference was noticeable. Other then that they are great shooters. What caliber are yours?

They are both .308, I got a screaming deal on them, thus i bought both 16.5 and 20 inch

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    That's awesone. Plans for a can in the future as well? Depending on budget I hear the Manners and AICS stocks are great. I just can't afford one of those.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    That's awesone. Plans for a can in the future as well? Depending on budget I hear the Manners and AICS stocks are great. I just can't afford one of those.

The A2 is a great starting point, if you're like me, you'll find yourself eyeing the A5 or a chassis at a later date. I have the A5 now, and love it.

The adjustable cheek-riser and butt-pad are really nice to have, you can really make the rifle fit you then. You'd be surprised how much more comfortable it is to get on the rifle after some adjustments have been made.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Has anyone tried the Kydex adjustable cheek rest? It requires drilling your stock but looks useful. I may go that route if I need better positioning.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Has anyone tried the Kydex adjustable cheek rest? It requires drilling your stock but looks useful. I may go that route if I need better positioning.

I thought about this option, but instead purchased a Triad slip over stock cover. It has different sized spacers so you can align it to your scope. I think mine was $50.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    That doesn't sound bad. I have no experience with adjustable cheek pieces of the slip over covers. I don't think I would like having something velcroed to my stock that moved tho. That's why I wanted to go with the Kydex piece.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Love my Manners stock, but if you get the adjustable cheek piece and the mini-chassis, they are not cheap.

But SO nice.

Buy once, cry once.

If you are really going to build a precision rifle, it will cost. But you will love it.

medic87

Apr 27, 2008
    Az
    FN Patrol Bolt

Not the prettiest, but one of my favs.
    FN Patrol Bolt .308 topped with 10x42 SS glass and Versa-pod adaptor.

Attachments

• IMG_1503.jpg
      IMG_1503.jpg
      79.3 KB · Views: 455

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

I've had a Karsten on 2 stocks, and had no complaints.

Just do yourself a favor and use a drill press to drill the stock - it's easier than you think to drill the holes at an angle if you do it freehand. :o

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Well I sold one of my Remington's last night, gave the guy a good deal on it. I am going to be looking at scopes now. I am thinking vortex viper Hs-t or Pst. Should I be looking at Mrad or Moa? Suggestions ?

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Well I sold one of my Remington's last night, gave the guy a good deal on it. I am going to be looking at scopes now. I am thinking vortex viper Hs-t or Pst. Should I be looking at Mrad or Moa? Suggestions ?

I wish I would have went with the vortex but the cash just wasn't there. I got the bushnell AR optics 4-18x40. So far it looks incredble for the money but I'll know more when I get it to the range next week.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

HS-T is second focal plane, not an issue if you don't intend to have to range targets at unknown distances with the optic. PST is first focal plane, one advantage is you can range a target at any magnification, unlike a second focal plane scope.

I've gotten used to MRAD, but if you're used to MOA, then stay with what you know.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    HS-T is second focal plane, not an issue if you don't intend to have to range targets at unknown distances with the optic. PST is first focal plane, one advantage is you can range a target at any magnification, unlike a second focal plane scope.

I've gotten used to MRAD, but if you're used to MOA, then stay with what you know.

Im actually used to neither, as Most of the rifles i have are either old milsurps with no scopes and or regular cross hairs that i used only at 100 yards.

I ended up selling a 20" 700 last night for 650.00, I was gonna sell the 16.5 but my buddy who also had a new 20"(box tossed) asked to trade for it, so i took his 20" and sold my new in box rifle.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Im actually used to neither, as Most of the rifles i have are either old milsurps with no scopes and or regular cross hairs that i used only at 100 yards.

Then those scoped rifles would be in MOA adjustments, 1/4" or even 1/2" clicks.

Honestly, either one should be pretty easy for you to get up to speed on. :)

**If you only want to spend what you made last night, I'd go with the HS-T. It's the model I actually wanted to get.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Then those scoped rifles would be in MOA adjustments, 1/4" or even 1/2" clicks.

Honestly, either one should be pretty easy for you to get up to speed on. :)

**If you only want to spend what you made last night, I'd go with the HS-T. It's the model I actually wanted to get.

I even considered a fixed power super sniper as i heard good things but figured that I might be better off with a variable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom