• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    Just got done assembling my first AR. I'm having some trouble with a binding bcg.

The front of the bolt seems to get stuck in the barrel extension. Without the barrel things move freely. Gas tube also does not seem to be the problem. The BCG slides in fine but when it locks forward it is like heck to get it back out. Every once and a while it seems to free itself and will pull back. Any ideas?

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    How tight is the bolt when just sliding the bolt in and out of the bolt carrier? I'm assuming lube makes no difference. Do you have another BCG you can swap into this gun to see if the problem follows the gun or the BCG?

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    More info, I think it is catching on the little square piece under where the gas tube goes. You can see a little notch where it's hitting in the upper where it has that little half circle cutout.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Have you disassembled and lubed the bcg? This could be part of your problem. It's easy to take apart, lube and reassemble, only takes a few mins and a few drops of oil.. ;)

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    and an interesting take on bolt carrier group lubing.. perhaps a little excessive, but seems effective.. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZBynDSMXP8

Personally I use Machine Gunners Lube, a synthetic moly based oil and I lightly coat all the parts, paying particular attention to the contact surfaces on the front half of the carrier. Works great for me.

jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    These things can cause this amoung other things

Cracked or out of spec Bolt Carrier. (rare, but does happen)
    Mis-aligned buffer tube.
    Bent charging handle.
    Unstaked gas key being loose.
    Mis-aligned gas tube.

Easiest way to verify everything but the Bolt Carrier is to swap it out with another one.

New guns sometimes do this as well. Run it lubed up (wet), and shoot it.

Ferg

Aug 1, 2011
    Southern Dorchester County
    You can remove the firing pin AND the bolt so you have a "stripped carrier", and make sure that it slides without binding in the upper. Just don't remove the gas key. That would either show that the carrier or gas tube was sticking or the bolt lugs.

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    I got it from Joeboboutfitters I think. I think the charge handle as well. Not sure on manufacture. The upper is LRB if I remember correctly.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    Are there any signs of abrasion on the charging handle or on the upper receiver where the charging handle locks up? The last AR I bought had similar issues, even after lubing up the BCG. It got much better once I lubed up the charging handle and where it meets the upper receiver. After a few hundred cycles of the action, it's all fixed up now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom