• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    How is the recoil on these? I have shot a Sharps in 45/70 and it wasn't that bad. What would you compare it to?

Here's a pic of my 1895G.

Because of back and neck injuries, my doctors have told me that I should 'refrain' from shooting hard recoiling rifles and shotguns.
    I added the XS Lever-rail and Nikon Pro-Staff 2-7x32mm, due to my failing eyesight.
    This rifle, as-it-sits, makes one fantastic hog huntin' carbine!

The FIRST thing I did, was remove the 'brick' recoil pad, and installed a Limbsaver® recoil pad on the rifle.
    This is a HUGE help in reducing felt recoil.

With factory Winchester and Federal 300 gr JHP ammo, this Guide Gun is very comfortable to shoot.
    I'd compare it to my Remington 1100 with target loads. Very mild. I've been told that my 1100 with target loads feels like a 28 ga. :shrug: I dunno. I've never fired a 28 ga. :shrug:

With 405 grain loads, the recoil impulse is 'more', but, still comfortable.
    (The loads I worked up are with Reloader 7 aka/RL-7 and Cast Performance 405 gr LWNGC boolits.)
    This powder and boolit produce good velocities with lower pressure than other powders.

Going up with powder charge, though, gets to the point where after 5 rounds, with 10 rounds fired, tops, your shoulder is hurting.
    (I'd compare these loads to either a 3-1/2" 12 ga load, or 10 ga single-shot shotgun load.)
    One load that I worked up, will "cross your eyes", when shooting it off the bench!

Still, shooting while Standing, or especially in a hunting situation, you're not going to feel a tremendous amount of 'shove', anyway.

Personally, "I" don't see the need to 'magnumize' .45-70 loads.
    Yes, you can "push the envelope" so-to-speak, but, why do you need to?????
    My loads, traveling about 1660 fps will knock a BIG hog's _ _ _ _ into the dirt. (I've done it.)

All kidding aside, this Guide Gun is one of my most favorite long guns. (And I'll never sell it!) :thumbsup::thumbsup:

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Thanks to a member I picked up a marlin JM stamped classic 45/70 this morning. Love this thing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      82.9 KB · Views: 129

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Thanks to a member I picked up a marlin JM stamped classic 45/70 this morning. Love this thing.

Verrrrrrrrry nice .45-70 "Gummint"!!!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

By the way byf43 that guide gun is awesome. My next rifle will be a guide gun just like yours.

Thanks!! This Guide Gun is one of my favorites. It is a 'hoot to shoot'!

I also have an 1895CB, but, don't have any pics of it, yet.

My Guide Gun was built in 2000. The Cowboy gun was built in 2001.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Different loads for the Sharps, The Sharps, Ruger#1 & #3 ,Browning / Winchester Highwalls and Brownings offering of the 1886 in the late 90's will all take 35.000 psi pressure loads and the Marlin is back at 28.000 psi . I am not saying the Marlin is inferior by any means. You have to be careful with what loads you put into it. You just don't drop any old handloads or some of the modern high pressure loads in it.
    If I were to buy a Marlin lever I also would find a used one.

Last edited:

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    Honestly not sure. How do you tell?

Look at the left side of the barrel, if it has Ballard rifling there will be asterisks on either side of the model and caliber.

It will look something like this: * * * * MOD 1895XX CAL 45/70 GOVT * * * *

Also, most (but not all) of the Microgroove barrels are labeled as such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom