• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccmc

Aug 11, 2011
    If Illinois can become a Shall Issue state, Maryland can, as well.

Not necessarily since technically Illinois was no issue and Maryland is may issue. Peruta may change things if upheld en banc, but so far there have been no successful court challenges to may issue regimes.

ccmc

Aug 11, 2011
    As noted, many prior national reciprocity bills have maintained a state's right to set CCW laws, so that doesn't help us in the short term, as MD can retain it's may issue scheme. What will help is pressure on the GA to change MD law when residents of other states can carry in MD while we stand by helplessly and can't carry. That's how National reciprocity can help us.

National licensing should be a total non starter IMO.

Good analysis :thumbsup:

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    National Reciprocity - a CCW issued in any state is valid in all states, just like a driver's license.

This way, folks who live in a restrictive state can get their guest CCW from say, Utah, and be good to go everywhere.

By the way, only Trump has come out in favor of national CCW.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    National Reciprocity - a CCW issued in any state is valid in all states, just like a driver's license.

This way, folks who live in a restrictive state can get their guest CCW from say, Utah, and be good to go everywhere.

Yes he has, in writing. Wants reciprocity honored like a drivers license or marriage.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Even a national reciprocity bill allows states to set licensing standards for their residents MD will simply not allow residents to carry on another state's non resident permit,, like PA did. While honoring other resident and perhaps some non resident permits.

we'd still be screwed.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Even a national reciprocity bill allows states to set licensing standards for their residents MD will simply not allow residents to carry on another state's non resident permit,, like PA did. While honoring other resident and perhaps some non resident permits. we'd still be screwed.

In the short-term, perhaps.
    The curtain will be pulled back on it all though, leaving little excuse for those resisting shall-issue status.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    That's my guess. The GA will be forced into action when everyone from outside MD can carry but residents cannot. That will possibly goad them into doing something.

notice the word possibly. they haven't minded showing their obtuseness to the world.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    That's my guess. The GA will be forced into action when everyone from outside MD can carry but residents cannot. That will possibly goad them into doing something. notice the word possibly. they haven't minded showing their obtuseness to the world.

Even a change in DC will force the hands of some.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

Pretty sure all GOP senators running right now are co-sponsors of one of the reciprocity bills. They may have not said anything on the campaign trail but I'm pretty sure if one gets to their desk it's as good as signed.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    Even a national reciprocity bill allows states to set licensing standards for their residents MD will simply not allow residents to carry on another state's non resident permit,, like PA did. While honoring other resident and perhaps some non resident permits.

we'd still be screwed.
    14th Amendment. Once a FEDERAL National Reciprocity law goes into effect, the individual states cannot DISENFRANCHISE the individual CCW holder.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter

If I am a Maryland resident, can I get a Utah Driver's License? I do not know how that works.

I have a Utah permit and I hope what you say in re the 14th Amendment is so, but I believe one can't get another state's drivers license without some sort of residency, employment, etc.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore

I have a Utah permit and I hope what you say in re the 14th Amendment is so, but I believe one can't get another state's drivers license without some sort of residency, employment, etc.

Like I said, national CCW reciprocity. Once a Federal law goes into effect, all of the other states must recognize it. Since you already have a UT CCW the other states would have to recognize it.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    In the short-term, perhaps.
    The curtain will be pulled back on it all though, leaving little excuse for those resisting shall-issue status.

There's already little to no excuse when 30 some odd states are already shall issue. Maryland will continue to buck the trend because "blood will run in the streets" if they go shall issue, even though the truth is the exact opposite of that. Politicians don't use reason. Just do what they tell you subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Even with National reciprocity, like a resident state driver's license, MD will require you to have a MD permit if you are a MD resident. 14A or not.

good luck.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    There's already little to no excuse when 30 some odd states are already shall issue. Maryland will continue to buck the trend because "blood will run in the streets" if they go shall issue, even though the truth is the exact opposite of that. Politicians don't use reason. Just do what they tell you subject. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point is the constituency will take notice. The vast majority of those shall issue states' legislatures made that happen -- at the will of the constituency. It didn't happen overnight and not all of those states are run by republicans.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    Even with National reciprocity, like a resident state driver's license, MD will require you to have a MD permit if you are a MD resident. 14A or not.

good luck.
    I am pretty sure MD wouldn't want to take an Incorporation case to the SCOTUS.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Not necessarily since technically Illinois was no issue and Maryland is may issue. Peruta may change things if upheld en banc, but so far there have been no successful court challenges to may issue regimes.

You took it out of context. Here's the rest:

Reciprocity trumps a national right, as there would remain states where citizens could exercise their right to keep and bear. As more states come on line with Shall Issue and Constitutional Carry, and as threats multiply and are seen to be effectively handled by CCW permit holders, momentum will build.

If Illinois can become a Shall Issue state, Maryland can, as well.

Eventually the holdouts will be seen for what they are. Illinois was a state that NOBODY thought would come across with CCW. The point is that the momentum for change is strong, and the amount of change to date is remarkable. The population as a whole is more favorably disposed toward preserving firearms rights than has been the case for decades, and the multiplication of threats (in the media, not necessarily a real-world increase) has opened some eyes.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MD's defense will be "we issue permits" G&S has already been upheld in 3 different circuits. There is nothing to incorporate as they issue permits, just not without G&S.

The turning point will be when out of state residents can carry and MD residents cannot. Then things will change.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore

The turning point will be when out of state residents can carry and MD residents cannot. Then things will change.

Right. That is what a Federal reciprocity law would do. It would force MD to recognize the CCW issued by other states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom