My first C&R Terni / Carcano I need help with some information about this Rifle.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    I need some help with my first C$R!

I know that the Manufacturer is Terni and it is a Carcano.
    However the caliber of the rifle is not on the gun. In looking up information about the gun it says they can be two types a long rifle which would be a 7.35x51 or a short rifle which would be a 6.5x52!

This rifle is short however when I look at any pictures online about this gun the forearm has a metal support that appears to be attached by the barrel, This doesn't have that metal.

It also has some marks on the bolt and butt stock and I love the color of the wood! Which is one of the reasons I purchased the rifle the other being I paid $35 for it!

IMG_2225_zpsb044323b.jpg

IMG_2227_zps5e64eb5c.jpg

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag45/HRDWRK1/IMG_2228_zpsc13e9f4f.jpg

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag45/HRDWRK1/IMG_2231_zpsabdbbc40.jpg

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    It looks like a Modello 91 which has been bubba'd (as so many were). That would make it a Cal 6.5.
    You can't go wrong for $35.

http://personal.stevens.edu/~gliberat/carcano/

PS: There are many Carcanos out there that bubba took a hack saw to the barrel and shortened them. Some had a gain twist rate so their accuracy is kaput.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    With the stamping in the stock is the wood color correct?

Probably so. But undoubtedly the furniture has been refinished. Posting some clearer pics of the receiver and entire barrel would be helpful. You mentioned it's a "short rifle" What's the barrel length?

round stamp would be correct with the serial numbers. Someone added some initials on there too. That's not correct.

Agreed. It always makes me wonder, "What was bubba thinking?"

The turned down bolt handle doesn't seem to fit with M91's. But bubba could have swapped out the bolt easy enough.

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    Thanks for all the help with the ID!

I liked this bit at j8064's http://personal.stevens.edu/~gliberat/carcano/models.html ...

according to the chart, the 1891 Fucile was the only one that had adjustable sights that went to 2000m and...

Tubato (Tubular rifling insert).
    In the 1920's some guns were reworked via the Salerno method by boring out the worn barrel and inserting a rifled, tubular barrel liner. These guns are marked Tubato, letters running in a "U" shape on the middle barrel facet, ...

...which yours looks like it has.

Regardless...$35 is awesome!

Last edited:

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    The 6.5 is a awesome round to plink at the range. It's a nice shooting Milsurp rifle that won't kill your shoulder. $35 is awesome. I would have grabbed it up too.

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Buying a milsurp rifle for $35 in this day-and-age is hard to resist; plus, 6.5cal ammo is A LOT easier to find versus the 7.35cal that other model Carcanos were chambered in!

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    PS: There are many Carcanos out there that bubba took a hack saw to the barrel and shortened them. Some had a gain twist rate so their accuracy is kaput.

I thought all the Cracano's had gain twist rifling, not jus' some ov'em. Were any of'em not gain twist???

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I thought all the Carcano's had gain twist rifling, not jus' some ov'em. Were any of'em not gain twist???

Not all Carcano models were built with gain twist rifling. There's a chart under "Specifications" on this site that has good info on the specs of the different Carcano models:
    http://personal.stevens.edu/~gliberat/carcano/models.html

Not to reopen the whole Kennedy/Oswald "magic bullet" debate here, having fired period correct (and reloaded) 6.5x52 Caracano ammo in my 91/38 Fucile Corto, I believe it's entirely possible a .268 Carcano bullet "could" pass through the soft tissue of two bodies and come out unscathed. There are many reported complaints from the Italian army about the ineffectiveness of the cartridge.

The Carcano rifle is interesting to research.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    OK, so not all Carcanos were gain twist. I thought they were due to their somewhat low strength actions and gain twist rifling was a way to keep peak pressures at a lower level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom