• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Picked up this VEPR 12 courtesy of Duffy's Gun Room Friday. First of all, I'd like to say thanks to all the guys who work there. I panicked when I found out about the whole import ban situation and thought my chances of getting one were over, I saw that Duffy's had 2 left and asked them to hold one for me. Without ever talking or dealing with me before, they put one on hold until I could get down there the next day, even without me putting any money down. Seemed like a very nice shop and the guys there were helpful and courteous. I'll definitely be dealing with them in the future.

Second of all I'd like to say THIS THING IS FREAKING AWESOME. Shot a bunch of buckshot through it and it cycled perfectly. Tried shooting some Winchester 7 1/2 shot through it and it fails to extract it though. I'm sure its just the ammo, since high brass buckshot and birdshot seem to work fine.

Does it just need to be broken in a little bit? Or are the Winchester shells just junk in semi-autos?

Attachments

• IMG_0496.jpg
      IMG_0496.jpg
      84.9 KB · Views: 710
    • IMG_0501.jpg
      IMG_0501.jpg
      76.2 KB · Views: 767

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Winchester is notoriously bad in semi-autos. However, give the V12 some time to break in and I'd bet it will cycle it.

Great last-second purchase! I'm glad that I picked mine up before the import ban.

-Jim

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Winchester white box shotgun ammo also sucks in some pumps. My M590 eats it up fine, but my 870 becomes nearly impossible to rack (lots of people have reported this issue). If an 870 won't cycle it properly, it doesn't speak well for an autoloader.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    Very cool. I shot one that belongs to a friend of mine, it's a great blaster! Magazines are a bit pricey though.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    winchester super speed [white box], target loads [bulk red box], and standard clay ammo suck in semis.

Federal bulk, remington bulk, winchester AA, and higher power loads work fine.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Ok glad to know the winchester ammo sucks. I'll just leave it for my 500. I guess I'll be heading to walmart later to find some other birdshot to try. Anybody have any recommendations?

Edit: Thanks 240 Towles. I'll try some of those.

Any other brands to use?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    winchester super speed [white box], target loads [bulk red box], and standard clay ammo suck in semis.

Federal bulk, remington bulk, winchester AA, and higher power loads work fine.

This^^^^^^

Not all ammo is created equally, and not all bird loads from the same manufacturer are created equally. If the same payload shell from the same manufacturer is cheaper because it comes in a white box instead of one labeled AA, there is probably a reason for the difference in price.

Same goes for Remington and the other manufacturers. Made the mistake of buying cheap Remington Sportsman Steel shotshells. It was pathetic compared to the Remington Nitro Express Steel shotshells.

My Benelli SBE will not cycle anything less than 1 1/8 oz of lead at 1,20 fps. A 1,145 fps load is questionable and a 1,090 fps load will not cycle the gun EVER.

I actually thought about getting a VEPR for all of 10 seconds, and then brought my mind back to the Benelli M4. The VEPR is still a nice gun. Just not for me. Famous last words. I'll probably want one when I can no longer get one.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Looks great! Congrats on the new pick up. I've heard nothing but good things about them. If I already didn't own several S-12s, I'd be all over one of these. Actually, if I had any spare coin, I'd get one to complement my S-12s :D
    When I move to America in two years, I'll find one and buy it.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Someone please fill me in on this import ban as I missed it somehow. What does it pertain to? Saigas and Vepers, what else.

genexd

Mar 18, 2014
    I too would appreciate the info. Not sure how I missed all of this, must of been distracted by the AR lower situation.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Someone please fill me in on this import ban as I missed it somehow. What does it pertain to? Saigas and Vepers, what else.

That's it, really. The Clinton trade bans really limited what kind of guns get here from Russia. There are others. Certain Mosins will be affected (my M44 was exported by Molot) and Tula ammo may or may not be affected (I've heard that it might be swept up in the ban owing to the company doing a lot of business with Izhmash).

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    tvblog.png

Going to try mine again today. Got some reduced recoil slugs. The 3" slugs kicked like a howitzer and were teaching me to flinch, big time.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Going to try mine again today. Got some reduced recoil slugs. The 3" slugs kicked like a howitzer and were teaching me to flinch, big time.

That reminds me that I need to try some slugs too.

I tried some Remington birdshot (still low brass, Walmart was out of Federal and other birdshot) and it cycled the action pretty good. Still had a few FTE but I think that was mainly due to me not holding the shotgun in my shoulder as tight as I should have. Worked a lot better than the Winchester birdshot though

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom