• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    is there a form that citizens can fill out and submit for review with guns they want added?

Here is the petition form.

Submission of a sample gun is not always required, if the petition is for a firearm model that is very similar to an already-approved model, or a "caliber addition" to an already-approved model.

Attachments

• RosterBoardPetition.pdf
      39.3 KB · Views: 82

ThisGuy918

Nov 11, 2011
    So they won't approve AK pistols becasue they feel it is a copy of the rifle, but approved an AR pistol? Is this correct?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    So they won't approve AK pistols becasue they feel it is a copy of the rifle, but approved an AR pistol? Is this correct?

This is their logic, I believe:

AR15 pistols are subject to the ALG list, but may be exempt based on not being a copy (LWRC) or the HBAR exception (Engage E4).

The AK47 "in all forms" is, in their mind, sufficiently broad to subject all 7.62x39 AK pistols to the ban. There is no way 5.56 or other caliber AK pistols can be banned by this however, as the AK47 is 7.62x39, and the Avtomat Kalashnikov category specifically applies to semiautomatic rifles. So, I could see them disapproving 7.62X39 AK pistols (even though it is a list of Assault LONG GUNS), but I see 5.45 or 5.56 AK pistols being approved.

This is mostly conjecture on my part.

ThisGuy918

Nov 11, 2011
    This is their logic, I believe:

AR15 pistols are subject to the ALG list, but may be exempt based on not being a copy (LWRC) or the HBAR exception (Engage E4).

The AK47 "in all forms" is, in their mind, sufficiently broad to subject all 7.62x39 AK pistols to the ban. There is no way 5.56 or other caliber AK pistols can be banned by this however, as the AK47 is 7.62x39, and the Avtomat Kalashnikov category specifically applies to semiautomatic rifles. So, I could see them disapproving 7.62X39 AK pistols (even though it is a list of Assault LONG GUNS), but I see 5.45 or 5.56 AK pistols being approved.

This is mostly conjecture on my part.

I see your point and sadly agree. Do you feel if the AWB, by magic, does go away could they still deny adding it?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I see your point and sadly agree. Do you feel if the AWB, by magic, does go away could they still deny adding it?
    The roster board would still have very broad discretion in what they can deny. You'd be better off just building an AK SBR in the event that the bans got removed.

(Also, LWRC is made in MD, and I am very sure that played a role in allowing their pistols to stay on the list.)

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    No snow expected for tomorrow, so maybe the board will be able to meet this time and add some new handguns to the roster. Any idea how quick this occurs after a meeting (e.g. weeks or longer)?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    No snow expected for tomorrow, so maybe the board will be able to meet this time and add some new handguns to the roster. Any idea how quick this occurs after a meeting (e.g. weeks or longer)?

Once a handgun is approved by the board, the notice of addition to the handgun roster has to be published in the Maryland Register to allow for a 30 day public review/comment. So figuring in the time for these milestones, it could be anywhere from 1 to 2 months, depending on when the next Register goes out.

SB281 Blaster

Feb 4, 2014
    Queenstown
    The current view of the roster board and the MSP is that AK pistols are copies of AK rifles. Stupid, yes, but I would not expect any to be approved for general sale.

Pistols are pistols and rifles are rifles. Just because a pistol has the same receiver as a banned assault rifle, it is not automatically banned. They are restricting pistols by name only. Uzi and Bushmaster for example. Build a pistol with an AR-15 lower and call it a Schrubmaster and there is no reason the Board would not approve it. To help assure approval make it piston driven, however exact interchangeability parts is about copies of rifles to rifles, not pistols to rifles.

I have an LWRC pistol in stock and that is a exactly how it is built. I would submit one myself, but I do not have an 07 license because I am not ready to pay the $2,250 annual ITAR fee.

ninjaroll

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 27, 2013
    Does anyone have any informed insight into why the roster board seems to have closed up shop? They haven't had a meeting for months now, and I find it hard to believe there have been zero submissions.

Conspiracy theories not wanted, guys. Let's keep it to "I was told X by someone who would know Y". Any idiot can tell me that "OMG it's a conspiracy by the state!!!"

I'll bet the state wants to keep status quo by telling some not to show up for meetings. This way they don't have to add or subtract guns from the list.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Pistols are pistols and rifles are rifles. Just because a pistol has the same receiver as a banned assault rifle, it is not automatically banned. They are restricting pistols by name only. Uzi and Bushmaster for example. Build a pistol with an AR-15 lower and call it a Schrubmaster and there is no reason the Board would not approve it. To help assure approval make it piston driven, however exact interchangeability parts is about copies of rifles to rifles, not pistols to rifles.
    With all due respect, you're incorrect as to how the board currently operates. Go talk to Engage about their experience submitting the E4 pistol. It was originally tagged as an assault pistol because of the "copy of AR-15" logic I gave before. Engage had to protest and point out it was an HBAR, whereupon it needed to be verified by an MSP armorer. Again, I know this is stupid, but it's no more or less stupid than banning all Bushmasters and calling a .22lr Uzi-alike "an Uzi copy".

Just as a matter of curiosity... How does a person get appointed to the Maryland Handgun Roster Board?
    If you're the governor, you can illegally appoint someone. Otherwise, I believe you have to apply when there's an opening.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Maryland Code > Public Safety > § 5-404

(a) There is a Handgun Roster Board in the Department of State Police.
    (b) (1) The Board consists of 11 members.
    . (2) Of the 11 members of the Board:
    . (i) one shall be the Secretary as an ex officio member;
    . (ii) ten shall be appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Senate; and
    . (iii) all shall be Maryland residents.
    . (3) Of the ten appointed members of the Board:
    . (i) one shall be a representative of the Association of Chiefs of Police;
    . (ii) one shall be a representative of the Maryland State’s Attorneys’ Association;
    . (iii) one shall be a handgun dealer, gunsmith, or representative of a handgun manufacturer;
    . (iv) one shall be a resident of the State who is a representative of the National Rifle Association or its affiliated State association;
    . (v) one shall be a representative of an organization that advocates against handgun violence; and
    . (vi) five shall be public members, two of whom shall be mechanical or electrical engineers.
    (c) The term of an appointed member is 4 years.
    (d) The Secretary shall serve as chairman.
    (e) The Board shall meet at the request of the chairman or of a majority of the members.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    . (ii) ten shall be appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Senate; and
    My understanding is that the governor appointed one without the advice and consent of the Senate. There was a fair bit of controversy over this at the time.

We need to try to get more of our people on the board as openings come up.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I know someone who sits on the Maryland Handgun Roster Board.

He is an active member of a local rifle club, and by all appearances and acts is a solid RKBA supporter. In conversation, he states the board members are good people, doing good work. I'm not sure I buy into that 100%, but that is what he says.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    He is an active member of a local rifle club, and by all appearances and acts is a solid RKBA supporter. In conversation, he states the board members are good people, doing good work. I'm not sure I buy into that 100%, but that is what he says.
    Awesome. Go ask him if the board would approve an AK pistol if submitted. I think we'd all like to know the answer. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom