• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Pretty sure taste is 90% or more the diet of the deer when it was alive. That's why Perdue feeds chickens cookie crumbs and marigold petals

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    If it isn't hanging it isnt true aging IMO. Need to let gravity do its work in the tenderizing process. If you don't believe me, next time you get a deer when it's going to be cold for a while hang half of it and do the other half sitting in the fridge. Same deer, same meat, but the side that was hanging is going to taste better.

Yellowhand

Jan 19, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    It's best hung and dry aged in 35-40 degree temps. If you have a tent and these cool temperatures we're expecting you could have some aged venison in short order.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Pretty sure taste is 90% or more the diet of the deer when it was alive. That's why Perdue feeds chickens cookie crumbs and marigold petals

:thumbsup: I dont know about percentage but what the deer has been eating plays a lot in how the meat tastes, to add with this if the deer is hung up soon after gutting and bleeding, this helps cut the "gamey" taste tremendously IMO. Its still going to taste like venison but not an off flavor as if it wasnt processed correctly.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If it isn't hanging it isnt true aging IMO. Need to let gravity do its work in the tenderizing process. If you don't believe me, next time you get a deer when it's going to be cold for a while hang half of it and do the other half sitting in the fridge. Same deer, same meat, but the side that was hanging is going to taste better.

When 'cooler' dry aging, the trick is to keep rotating the meat. Not to say it's the best method but, for some, it's the only method they have at hand. Some thing we do with fresh tuna filets, when we get home we wrap the tuna quarters up in a couple layers o paper towels. It draws the excess blood out of the meat. After a night in the fridge like that, we steak them up and vacuum pack them. Always wanted to try that with venison. Kinda like those kotexes they put under your meat and chicken at the grocery store.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    :thumbsup: I dont know about percentage but what the deer has been eating plays a lot in how the meat tastes, to add with this if the deer is hung up soon after gutting and bleeding, this helps cut the "gamey" taste tremendously IMO. Its still going to taste like venison but not an off flavor as if it wasnt processed correctly.

I think it is what the animal has been eating lately. Just like 'finishing off' a pig with a steady addition of peanuts in their diet just before butchering. It's supposed to make the meat sweeter. And who don't like sweet meat?:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom