• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dualhead

Dec 2, 2012
    My place of work has a policy in the manual that you may not have weapons in your vehicle when you are at work or at events for work. I realize that the likelihood of any body finding out is slim, but if I head to work after a morning hunt or I am planning on an evening dove hunt and someone sees my camo or something can I tell them it is none of their business without fearing for them calling the cops? This place is owned by an serious animal rights/anti-weapons person hence then stance.

dualhead

Dec 2, 2012
    If you're transporting it legally, your concern would be for your job, I'd think.

Calling the cops would simply be an unnecessary annoyance, IMO.

The job is what I am worried about. While they obviously can't search my car, could they legally let me go for that?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The job is what I am worried about. While they obviously can't search my car, could they legally let me go for that?

The job cannot get a search warrant for your car. They would need to prove you had one. But this being Maryland, an at will state can fire anyone for anything. Is the parking lot their property?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I drive around from mid March till the end of October with at least one shotgun in my truck, always have shells with me.

No one knows it there except for you until you open your mouth.

dualhead

Dec 2, 2012
    I drive around from mid March till the end of October with at least one shotgun in my truck, always have shells with me.

No one knows it there except for you until you open your mouth.

My lips are sealed. I'm just paranoid that some prying eyess may force the subject....

Sharp

Feb 21, 2015
    Calvert
    Park off the property, problem solved. My job has the right to search any vehicle on the property.

This. At a previous job, I would often go trap shooting with several coworkers after work. Since firearms weren't allowed on work property, we all parked across the street. No problems.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    My place of work has a policy in the manual that you may not have weapons in your vehicle when you are at work or at events for work. I realize that the likelihood of any body finding out is slim, but if I head to work after a morning hunt or I am planning on an evening dove hunt and someone sees my camo or something can I tell them it is none of their business without fearing for them calling the cops? This place is owned by an serious animal rights/anti-weapons person hence then stance.

And if they get a bug up their ass, who knows what they will say. Reason and logic may not apply. :omg: he's going to kill bambi I must stop this now!!!!

I am not sure how "prying eyes" would see it. Once a co-worker came in, and during meeting they told me I left my lights on. I asked how they knew it was my car... well they looked and I had some mail or something on the seat. Moral of the story: If it's in plain view, it's fair game. That's why they invented trunks and pink blankets with pics of furry animals***.

*** ETA: aka liberal camouflage.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I thought there was something a year or so ago backed by the NRA assuring the legality of a locked up firearm in a personal vehicle on company property. As long as it followed local laws.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Here is the deal...

You work for a Company & Park on their lot...

Their rulebook say no guns on Company property...

If you get caught, you get fired...

Can you find another job as good as this one & get it quickly..?

It's your call...

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    If your car is parked in the shopping center parking lot I don't think your employer can say anything about it.
    You should maybe be more worried about thieves, depending on where you are.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Well, now that we know it's a shopping center...

Sounds to me like the policies are subjugated to the property owner's rules, unless there's a loading dock/warehouse where the vehicle can be brought into the place of business.

But I would agree with the "pink blanket" protocol...

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Park off the property, problem solved. My job has the right to search any vehicle on the property.
    Most that have some type of 'no firearm' policy also have the right to search. Is it worth your job? Only the OP can answer that question...

BigBull

Dec 23, 2014
    St. Mary's County
    If it is a no firearms policy, would a muzzleloader apply? I would make sure that it is cased, underneath all of my hunting clothes locked in the trunk away from nosey eyes.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Probably, yes.. it is a firearm.. but.. unseen, unheard and locked out of sight, there is far less risk..

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Don't walk in wearing camo and regale people with your exploits and nobody is going to know what's in that toolbox in your trunk.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If it is a no firearms policy, would a muzzleloader apply? I would make sure that it is cased, underneath all of my hunting clothes locked in the trunk away from nosey eyes.

You see a muzzleloader, an animal rights anti gun person may see an AK-47.

Attachments

• mediaguide.jpg
      mediaguide.jpg
      65.6 KB · Views: 506

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

Don't park on your company's property.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom