• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    You'll probably get a bunch of different answers, but I've seen IP's selling fluted HBARs. As vague as the law and regs are, you're fine in my opinion (worth what you paid for it), IANAL.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Engage sold me and others some wonderful HBAR, fluted White Oak barrels.

dtmeyers

Jun 22, 2013
    You planning on doing this job yourself? Or getting a professional involved?
    If you do it yourself, post some pics :brows:

I believe you'd be fine legal-wise

ADCO probably. Should have bought one pre-fluted but found a good deal and didn't think it through

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Good to go. Only thing I ask is why didn't you buy one fluted in th first place but, maybe it was the bbl. you wanted...

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    Good to go, gray area, or danger Will Robinson?

(purchased post 10/1/2013)

I'd say probably GTG, but I think it's a gray area. All that MD cares is that the manufacturer considers it an HBAR. When the manufacturer sells a fluted barrel and calls it HBAR, no problem. If they sell a barrel that's not fluted, and you get the fluting done after the fact, will the manufacturer still consider it heavy? Can it be argued that you changed the barrel profile? I don't know the answer to either question. Like others have said, it would have been safer/easier to just buy a barrel that comes fluted from the factory. If I were you, I would try to return/sell yours and buy one that comes fluted. You'd probably be OK either way, and you might lose a little money out of the whole deal, but I would rather have the piece of mind.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I'd say probably GTG, but I think it's a gray area. All that MD cares is that the manufacturer considers it an HBAR. When the manufacturer sells a fluted barrel and calls it HBAR, no problem. If they sell a barrel that's not fluted, and you get the fluting done after the fact, will the manufacturer still consider it heavy? Can it be argued that you changed the barrel profile? I don't know the answer to either question. Like others have said, it would have been safer/easier to just buy a barrel that comes fluted from the factory. If I were you, I would try to return/sell yours and buy one that comes fluted. You'd probably be OK either way, and you might lose a little money out of the whole deal, but I would rather have the piece of mind.

What happens if the barrel is not stamped HBAR? For those people that bought a barrel advertised as HBAR, but not stamped HBAR, I guess they need to keep the literature that shows it was advertised as HBAR so when they go to sell it 50 years down the road they can prove it is an HBAR. Then, how does the State prove that a rifle is not HBAR? I guess it meets its burden of proof by showing that the barrel does not meet the regs? However, how does it meet that burden? My understanding is that the barrel must be marked HBAR or advertised as HBAR. So, how does the state prove that the barrel was NOT marketed as HBAR at the time the defendant bought the barrel?

Seems as though they need some better regs on this stuff, but that would be asking for a miracle. Of course, then the question would end up being what reg was in place at the time the defendant purchased the barrel, and how can the State prove when the barrel was purchased? Of course, I am assuming that we are building an HBAR instead of buying the entire gun.

GlockMafia

Glock and Sig!
    Jul 4, 2015
    Hazard County
    As long as it is not a contoured barrel and is in fact a heavy barrel (nothing less than .750) you should have no problems. Fluting and dimpling won't negate the heavy barrel designation...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom