• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • somdstrangler

Dec 15, 2014
    Southern MD
    So, I'm looking to buy my frist AR. As I understand it, in the "great" state of Maryland, I have to buy an AR with a heavy barrel.

Now I've heard a lot of guys say that the extra weight on the front of the gun is hardly noticeable. I've also heard guys say the heavy barrel made the gun too front heavy and made it unwieldy.

I'm wondering what you guys think about shooting an AR with a heavy barrel.

Is it worth the cash? Is it really the only option here in MD for a decent AR?

Any and all help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    You can HBAR rifles that weigh in around 6-6.2 Lbs on the low side. You can set up an HBAR so that the weight is negligible, or even balanced the same as a non-HBAR.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    If you want an AR, it's among the few ways you're getting one. Alternatives include a braced pistol which IIRC can have a pencil barrel.

Personally, I've found a heavy barrel to be just enough weight at the front of the gun to be a problem (but I've got wimpy girly-man arms). That said, I wouldn't necessarily call it "heavy" for a rifle, just unwieldy and unbalanced which won't matter if you're benchrest shooting. Clearing a house or running a class? Yes that extra weight WILL be a bummer. A heavier, but more balanced rifle - by using a heavier buttstock 0 can feel better in most environments aside from the aforementioned.

In regards to the above post, I played with some of Engage's HBARs this weekend and there were a standout few that were excellently balanced and didn't feel all that heavy. I believe one had a BCM KMR rail, though I don't remember the buttstock.

somdstrangler

Dec 15, 2014
    Southern MD
    Is the AR 15 pistol a good thing to learn on? I'm completely new to all of this. It sounds like the ar 15 pistol might be a good idea. I'm assuming that I'd still have to do everything that is required for purchasing a regular pistol in MD?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Depends on what configurations you're comparing. Sure, a 14.5" pencil barrel with welded flash hider or brake will be noticeably lighter. But a 14.5" H-BAR with a welded flash hider or brake will not be a noticeable difference compared to typical 16" govt profile. A lightweight handguard (i.e. mid-length MOE) really helps.

My advice is to buy the lower and upper separately, so you're not pigeon holed into getting whatever complete rifles are on the shelf. Take your time.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    No. Buy a 16" HBAR. The extra weight isn't really a big deal. Your optics, furniture, and accessory choices will make a much bigger impact on weight than the barrel.

Yep. 6-8oz distributed across a 16" barrel isn't very noticeable. A 16" H-BAR with irons-only or a small red dot should weigh quite a bit less than a 16" govt profile festooned with all sorts of jewelry.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Here's my AR-15 rifle build process:
    1. Build basic rifle
    2. Accessorize rifle with awesome new furniture and optics
    3. Realize rifle is too heavy, replace everything to make it lighter

This is why I've got a UBR, various rail systems, and big VFGs all lying around not being used. The only accessories I consider required on a new rifle at this point are an upgraded trigger, extended-latch CH, and a BAD lever (or equivalent). I am a little more generous about optics, but not by much.

somdstrangler

Dec 15, 2014
    Southern MD
    Well, I go back and forth honestly. I mean, I could live there full time, but I have a MD license.

I'm wondering if PA gun shops would even bother filing the paperwork?

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    I used a lightweight BCM KMR rail and MFT stock to offset the weight of the heavy barrel and the result is a well balanced rifle.

Go down to Engage and take a look at what they've got. They have a large selection of rifles in every imaginable configuration to help you decide.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Here's my AR-15 rifle build process:
    1. Build basic rifle
    2. Accessorize rifle with awesome new furniture and optics
    3. Realize rifle is too heavy, replace everything to make it lighter

This is why I've got a UBR, various rail systems, and big VFGs all lying around not being used. The only accessories I consider required on a new rifle at this point are an upgraded trigger, extended-latch CH, and a BAD lever (or equivalent). I am a little more generous about optics, but not by much.

What color UBR and how much do you want for it? :)

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Just a thought while you are considering what to get: the difference in sight radius between a 16" and a 20" barrel will affect practical accuracy. If you are using modern optics the extra barrel length doesn't matter, but with irons it makes a real impact on groups. There's a reason nearly all the high-power guys run 20" HBARs, and they even add extra weight to both ends.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Just a thought while you are considering what to get: the difference in sight radius between a 16" and a 20" barrel will affect practical accuracy. If you are using modern optics the extra barrel length doesn't matter, but with irons it makes a real impact on groups. There's a reason nearly all the high-power guys run 20" HBARs, and they even add extra weight to both ends.

Well there's also the fact that High Power guys must run a 20" A2 configured rifle right down to a GI grip for Service Rifle. That said my NM rifle tips the scales at 17lbs. but it is a dedicated High Power competition rifle, no way I'd try to hump it through the woods.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    My first build was a varmint rifle, 20" sst bull barrel and there is no way I'd want to carry that all day with high powered scope and bipod attached. My next build was much more manageable, a 16" HBAR and it shoots great. It is presently setup for HD with a micro red dot, small laser, TLR1s light and tritium fixed sights. This weapon, I would carry all day long, :thumbsup:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I remember back say 20-25 years ago or so, everyone wanted H-bars on their ar-15s. Didn't want those skinny a$$ed Vietnam era barrels. You gotta have'm now. No choice in the matter but, there are ways to balance it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom