Post 10/1 SBR done outside MD - Bringing it to MD? Trust questions too...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    I dont think the answer is strictly "no".

Maryland states that SBRs are not banned and are considered copycat weapons (as from the advisory in March). Also in the law, copycat weapons are not ALGs.

So, I dont see why a person who moves out of MD, makes/gets an SBR in another state while living there, and wants to bring it with them when they move back into MD. As long as he complies with the 29" OAL he should be able to bring it back in.

He doesnt have to abide by the whole pre-Oct 1st purchase for a ALG, cause it is no longer is one. SBRs are now treated as a copycat. And are copycats being held to a pre-Oct grandfathered standards? I believe they are not. as long as you pass the copycat feature test, regardless of after SBRd after Oct1st, you should be GTG

If im wrong, someone correct me.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I dont think the answer is strictly "no".

Maryland states that SBRs are not banned and are considered copycat weapons (as from the advisory in March). Also in the law, copycat weapons are not ALGs.

So, I dont see why a person who moves out of MD, makes/gets an SBR in another state while living there, and wants to bring it with them when they move back into MD. As long as he complies with the 29" OAL he should be able to bring it back in.

He doesnt have to abide by the whole pre-Oct 1st purchase for a ALG, cause it is no longer is one. SBRs are now treated as a copycat. And are copycats being held to a pre-Oct grandfathered standards? I believe they are not. as long as you pass the copycat feature test, regardless of after SBRd after Oct1st, you should be GTG

If im wrong, someone correct me.

He asked about post Oct. 1 SBR's of less than 29". There is no ambiguity now, they are banned. Additionally, his SCAR SBR's will fail the copycat test if they have a folding stock and a flash hider, no matter their length or SBR status.

Note that your phraseology is a bit off. SBR's are not "treated as a copycat" ALL non-ALG firearms are SUBJECT to the copycat test, not just SBR's. If a firearm fails the copycat test, then it is "treated as a copycat".

As to his AR pistol question, no problem to bring them into the state. Sb281 didn't touch them.

-Jim

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    He asked about post Oct. 1 SBR's of less than 29". There is no ambiguity now, they are banned. Additionally, his SCAR SBR's will fail the copycat test if they have a folding stock and a flash hider, no matter their length or SBR status.

Note that your phraseology is a bit off. SBR's are not "treated as a copycat" ALL non-ALG firearms are SUBJECT to the copycat test, not just SBR's. If a firearm fails the copycat test, then it is "treated as a copycat".

As to his AR pistol question, no problem to bring them into the state. Sb281 didn't touch them.

-Jim

Thanks for the correction on both accounts! When i read what i wrote i was shouldve clarified between copycat test and copycat weapon. Even though he posted what he actually SBRd i forgot and automatically thought of ARs. my mistake.

Is there anyway he can easily change the config of the SCARs to pass the copycat feature test?

Jakedasnake

Aug 11, 2012
    Thanks for the correction on both accounts! When i read what i wrote i was shouldve clarified between copycat test and copycat weapon. Even though he posted what he actually SBRd i forgot and automatically thought of ARs. my mistake.

Is there anyway he can easily change the config of the SCARs to pass the copycat feature test?

Just put a Muzzle Break on the thing, and you should be good! They're so frigging dumb, I'd rather have a muzzle break anyway! HA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatalsports

Mar 4, 2012
    Just put a Muzzle Break on the thing, and you should be good! They're so frigging dumb, I'd rather have a muzzle break anyway! HA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So a Muzzle brake is ok but a Flash hider is not?? :sad20:

My SCARs currently have AAC Brakeout 2.0s...which are half brake/half flash hider.

To make things more confusing...I have a HK USC that has been converted to a UMP and SBR'd. I did this about 2 years ago while I was in MD. The OAL on my paperwork is somewhere around 27-28in. When I moved to FL, I submitted the 5320 to the ATF for the new address in FL and it was approved. Now, since this was a pre 10/1 purchase and SBR I form 1'd...can I bring this back to MD?

It sounds like my SCARs *could* be ok if I change the muzzle device :roll eyes: Both of them are greater than 29 OAL, but seems like I am screwed with the MP5K SBR Clone...its only around 22-23in.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    So a Muzzle brake is ok but a Flash hider is not?? :sad20:

My SCARs currently have AAC Brakeout 2.0s...which are half brake/half flash hider.

To make things more confusing...I have a HK USC that has been converted to a UMP and SBR'd. I did this about 2 years ago while I was in MD. The OAL on my paperwork is somewhere around 27-28in. When I moved to FL, I submitted the 5320 to the ATF for the new address in FL and it was approved. Now, since this was a pre 10/1 purchase and SBR I form 1'd...can I bring this back to MD?

It sounds like my SCARs *could* be ok if I change the muzzle device :roll eyes: Both of them are greater than 29 OAL, but seems like I am screwed with the MP5K SBR Clone...its only around 22-23in.

You owned the UMP SBR before Oct. 1st, so yes it would be okay to bring back into the state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom