• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    seems there are a lot of dehumidifiers dumped at the landfill. for the money we pay, you'd think they can be repaired. does anyone here do dehumidifier repair. we have a big 50 gal that worked fine but no longer converts to condensation. thanks for any or all replies.

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    nowadays they are built cheap and are pretty much disposable

try finding parts and IMHO they are built to last about 5 years

I had many and the ones I like are Frigidaire, they cost more but seem to last longer with continual use

do a interweb search

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    The ones you're seeing at landfills may be there because they were fire hazards, and were recalled.

There was a big recall last year, and consumers were instructed to cut the power cord and remove the serial# plate, to return for a refund. If the dehumidifiers are missing these, they were part of that recall.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    They've always been a big item at landfills and collection stations.

They are junk, manufactured by the cheapest labor in the world with the cheapest parts.

Its hard to operate a skilled labor business for less than $50/hr, with Obamacare, its only going up. Repairing them becomes less cost effective all the time.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    We were on the dehumidifier merry go round for over a decade when we finally said enough and bought a Aprilaire 1710A dehumidifier for our unfinished basement.
    The big-box brand units we had would last about 12-18 months before we had to buy a new one.
    It's been running flawlessly for about 4 years. It can also dehumidify at a lower temperature without freezing up.
    Our basement is bone-dry even in the summer with the unit cycling off and on once every hour (maybe less) in the summer and a few times per day in the winter.

REF:
    http://www.aprilaire.com/whole-house-products/whole-house-products/dehumidifiers/model-1710a

PS: what also helped a LOT with basement moisture in summer was getting the exterior foundation waterproofed and the ribbon boards spray-foam sealed.

Last edited:

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    seems there are a lot of dehumidifiers dumped at the landfill. for the money we pay, you'd think they can be repaired. does anyone here do dehumidifier repair. we have a big 50 gal that worked fine but no longer converts to condensation. thanks for any or all replies.

The companies who make these things determined long ago that there was no profit to be had in repairing them. On warranty work, they just send you a new unit.

I recently had one of mine go down. I called around and no one would repair it for anything reasonable. It was $85 just to get someone to look at it and diagnose the problem. From there, parts and labour were extra to get it fixed. This was a $150 unit brand new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom