• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    sent a contact letter directly to Governor Larry Hogan's office .....

You could bypass the middle man, save ~.50 cents and just reach over and toss it into the trash can now.

Hogan gives no f*cks about carry in MD.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Can you please explain a contact letter?
    Honestly I have no idea what you are talking about.

http://governor.maryland.gov/contact-the-governors-office/

Contact the Governor’s Office

Whether you’re a citizen of Maryland or just visiting our great state, your comments and suggestions are welcome.

• Mail:
      100 State Circle
      Annapolis, Maryland
      21401-1925
    • Phone:
      410-974-3901
      1-800-811-8336
      MD Relay 1-800-735-2258

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The way I read COMAR dog training is legit reason to legally transport in a vehicle. I see nothing more; no emanance from the penumbra about carrying.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Been searching online for a self-directed 24/7 training program for my dog. I have decided the old girl can learn new tricks but it will take 24/7 effort.:lol2: Obviously, the good Captain was pointing to the absurdity and arbitrariness built into the law by our inept legislators.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    You could bypass the middle man, save ~.50 cents and just reach over and toss it into the trash can now.

Hogan gives no f*cks about carry in MD.

But then I won't get the canned letter from Larry! :D , I'd pay at least 60¢ for that.
    Dumais et al here don't respond to snail mail or email when you write concerning (shhhhh) gun laws. That was near $3 tossed right there. (three deligates, mailed twice)

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    well even if that's correct the ambiguity of dog training remains. Can the mere act of walking your dog be construed as training or a show?

ETA-how do you interpret "engaged in if..."

I see Bradywarriror's point, but it seems just as likely it could be interpreted either way.

I do agree if you look at legislative intent Brady's opinion seems logical, but it is MD after all.

I think it's the only way it can logically be understood. Otherwise we are left to believe that we must target shoot with cased and unloaded guns. :D I don't put that past Maryland either..ha.

Now, I would not recommend using this as a justification to carry while walking little Sparky around the neighborhood. I assume it was written for dog trainers engaged in the activity of training dogs. Protection from potentially dangerous reactive dogs, training bird dogs, dog shows, etc.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Since it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks we could carry for life while saving a bundle of $ in application and renewal fees.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Saw Jack speak tonight at the Meade Rifle and Pistol Club meeting. Great guy, wish he was still involved with MSP.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I think it's the only way it can logically be understood. Otherwise we are left to believe that we must target shoot with cased and unloaded guns. :D I don't put that past Maryland either..ha.

Now, I would not recommend using this as a justification to carry while walking little Sparky around the neighborhood. I assume it was written for dog trainers engaged in the activity of training dogs. Protection from potentially dangerous reactive dogs, training bird dogs, dog shows, etc.

I was assuming it was to encourage the dog to behave. Isn't that how you train dogs? :lol:

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    On a more serious note, the law linked in post 12 above lists a transport exceptions as follows:

" (5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector's gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;"

I had always interpreted the term "bona fide collector" to mean someone with a designated collector cert. Has the state ever provided an interpretation of what a bona fide collector is? Or is it incumbent on the defendant to demonstrate that they are a collector to the court? If I want to bring my new revolver to my buddy's house to show it to him, IMHO that's a private show.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    Regarding collector transport...

If I were planning to use that paragraph to justify a private exhibition (at a friend's house, etc), I'd create a paper trail. Nothing elaborate, just a few emails back and forth, make sure it's on my calendar, etc., making sure to include terms like "collection" and "private exhibition". That way, I have something other than my word to provide to the zealous prosecutor who wants to charge me. If that doesn't work, at least I have Exhibit A for the trial. Exhibits B and C would be my C&R FFL and my DC letter.

"Bona fide" means "good faith". As long as you are *acting* as a collector in *good faith*, you *should* be fine. But this is Maryland, so be careful out there.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I was assuming it was to encourage the dog to behave. Isn't that how you train dogs? :lol:

It is if your from Delta.
    Friends dog went after a rabbit one too many times instead of the coon he was spose too be treeing. Them hillbillies take their coon dogs serious.

ar154u

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 23, 2015
    When I saw Jack's video I listened to every word. I knew the moment Jack mentioned the dog training exemption that the thread would be taken over by that. Jack was only trying to highlight the fact that the MSP is doing everything in its power to remove themselves from liability resulting from a permitted person using their firearm. The MSP is denying until you come up with a letter saying such and such deems it necessary and they want you to have a firearm and a CCW. Forget about the dog training exemption and see the bigger picture. Thanks Jack for pointing out the capricious hurdles MSP places in front of us.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Consistency may be the hobgoblin of small minds but it is also very much the hallmark of honest process outputs.

The demonstrated and repeated inconsistency in the process is most simply put, evidence of malfeasance and de facto infringement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom