• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKB

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2007
    Finksburg, MD
    Need to get my lawn tractor repaired ASAP, it is a MTD. The engine is running fine and the blades turn fine but something is going on with the belt to the drive.
    The sooner the better, my grass is already too tall :)

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    The best DIY informational channel is You Tube. Just type in your lawn tractor make, model and problem and fifty people will tell you how to fix it. The best thing is that you can watch it over and over and over... till you get it.

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    Let me guess when you start mowing its does ok but as the mower warms up you seem to lose power to the rear wheels. Well its not your drive belt, its your sealed transmission. The one you can't change the fluid in. The same trans found in most entry level riding mowers. It's made by a company called Tuff Torq in TN USA, just Google K46 transmission and read all the complaints/issues. Shoot me a PM with email address and I will provide you with a doc that breaks down the repair procedure. Cost about $175 to repair or you can buy a new one for $500 or so.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Let me guess when you start mowing its does ok but as the mower warms up you seem to lose power to the rear wheels. Well its not your drive belt, its your sealed transmission. The one you can't change the fluid in. The same trans found in most entry level riding mowers. It's made by a company called Tuff Torq in TN USA, just Google K46 transmission and read all the complaints/issues. Shoot me a PM with email address and I will provide you with a doc that breaks down the repair procedure. Cost about $175 to repair or you can buy a new one for $500 or so.

Just look up under it and see if the tension spring broke or came off. That is the most common problem. I work in the parts dept. at a John Deere dealership and see this everyday. Start with the simple things first. You can fix or replace the trans. IF thats the problem BUT if you had the problem once, you'll have it again. If it really is the trans.

How much acreage are you mowing???

BTW for what it's worth, there's nothing wrong with the Tuff Torq transmissions. The problem comes into play when someone buys a mower that isn't what they REALLY need. Either it's a cost issue or it's being used for something it's not designed for. We have plenty of customers with L120 tractors that are 8-9 years old with FLAT lawns that don't abuse their tractors that have had 0 issues. We also have customers with 3 year old mowers that are replacing the trans because they chose the wrong piece of eguipment for their needs. Next time you go to buy a tractor, go to a dealer where the people actually know what they are talking about. Instead of some 19 year old kid that knows absolutely NOTHING about lawn equipment or how to suggest what you NEED instead of what you WANT. Just my $.02 and 20+ years experience.

My neighbor and I just replaced the 2 drive belts on my 1999 MTD Varidrive riding mower last month. It's amazing what replacing those belts did, the lawn tractor has had a night to day transformation all for the better. I purchased both genuine MTD belts off Ebay for $55.00 total including shipping.

SouthCo

Nov 20, 2012
    Is it not moving or moving slower? I just replaced the drive belt on my tractor. It was starting to slow down and then the I heard a pop and it wouldn't move. They belt had about 350hours. It was still in one piece but had wore out. It took about 15mins to put a new one on (it was my 1st time changing it) and now she is as good as new.

HKB

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2007
    Finksburg, MD
    Thanks for the replies, I have dropped it off at Liberty Equipment for repair. Sometimes it is easier to let the pros handle it, I just did not have the time to do it myself this go around.

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the replies, I have dropped it off at Liberty Equipment for repair. Sometimes it is easier to let the pros handle it, I just did not have the time to do it myself this go around.

Not that it matters, now that you've dropped it off, but you never said anything about the make/model?

Here is a link to a site I have found useful quite often, mostly the forums. Check the forum link and try a search for your particular problem/symptom. The search feature works pretty well there.

Link: http://tractorbynet.com/

Straight to forums: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/forum.php

Hope your repairs aren't too costly. The drive belt just broke on my Cub Cadet and I replaced it last Saturday. That was a pain. The unbroken middle of the belt wrapped itself under the pulley and around the shaft. Of course this was the pulley up under the seat and hard to get to. That was fun. About 4 ounces of sprayed WD-40 saved the day, and I'm back to mowing again.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    How much acreage are you mowing???

BTW for what it's worth, there's nothing wrong with the Tuff Torq transmissions. The problem comes into play when someone buys a mower that isn't what they REALLY need. Either it's a cost issue or it's being used for something it's not designed for. We have plenty of customers with L120 tractors that are 8-9 years old with FLAT lawns that don't abuse their tractors that have had 0 issues. We also have customers with 3 year old mowers that are replacing the trans because they chose the wrong piece of eguipment for their needs. Next time you go to buy a tractor, go to a dealer where the people actually know what they are talking about. Instead of some 19 year old kid that knows absolutely NOTHING about lawn equipment or how to suggest what you NEED instead of what you WANT. Just my $.02 and 20+ years experience.

Just for S's and G's... as I may need a new one by the end of the season.

What would you recommend for a 1+ acre lawn with a fair share of hills to climb? Needs to fit between and around trees (48" width max, Maple tree surface roots) and other obstacles, and deal with, and bag, lots of leaves in the fall. Ability to pull aerator, yard trailer and spreader needed. Storage footprint a consideration as well.

Thanks.

HKB

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2007
    Finksburg, MD

What would you recommend for a 1+ acre lawn with a fair share of hills to climb? Needs to fit between and around trees (48" width max, Maple tree surface roots) and other obstacles, and deal with, and bag, lots of leaves in the fall. Ability to pull aerator, yard trailer and spreader needed. Storage footprint a consideration as well.

Thanks.
    +1

My yard is about the same just smaller(just over a half acre) and pine trees.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.

Thanks.

I would say at a MINIMUM an X320. Bigger if you can afford it. Like we all say when buying things for our firearms. "buy once, cry once". The exact same can be said for lawn mowers. The hills are what you have to watch out for. Whatever you do, DO NOT buy a D100 series or you WILL be replacing the tranny in it in a few years of hills and pulling around what you want to pull. I have been there and done the "buy a cheap one" that wore out in a few years. My current garden tractor is going on 11 years old and has had ZERO problems. Other than normal maintenance items. Oh, it still has the original battery and deck wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom