• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    My son and I headed out this morning for the Turkey opener. We headed to some private property in Pg County.

Well the sun came up and what a SLOW morning. Cool and cloudy and not a
    single Gobble was heard on the Farm.

Anyone do any Good????

justsand

Ultimate Member
    Jul 14, 2010
    monrovia md
    Thinking of heading out today but guys on my lease said they heard nothing yesterday. They were going nuts during youth day most of heard 5 other 6 different toms

ebranger

Feb 5, 2014
    Columbia, MD
    I'm out right now in Charles county. Had two toms gobbling on either side of my early this morning but neither came in for a close look, and them around 7, they just stopped.

floatingboy

Apr 19, 2014
    Lisbon, MD
    Went out to Washington county yesterday morning. Zero gobbles but flushed two hens off nests around noon. They're out there, but I guess weren't too interested in my calls!

JayCorleone

MD by way of GA
    Jan 22, 2012
    Boonsboro
    Heard tons of gobbles from 6am to 6:41 am, then silence, nothing came in. But more hunters. Wash county. Oh seen a huge tom in someones field yesterday eve.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Went public land hunting in Maryland yesterday and today. I heard two or three gobblers sound off yesterday early morning...one within 100 yards of my first set-up; where I bagged a tom last spring. He seemed to hammer me with a raucous double gobble, after I gave him some cuts and a cackle. I was on top of the ridge --- and this time --- he was roosting in a tree down in a steep bottom.

He then drew in at least 4 other hunters, with his gobbles. One hunter was on the same ridge as me, another came along side the ridge I was on. He was heading straight towards me with both us calling hen calls. I knew it was a hunter, because he spooked a hen who flew --- putt putting --- out of her roosting tree. I waved him off with my blaze orange vest --- even though I did not see him...myself figuring the tom was spooked and long gone --- because just before that occurrence --- two hunters walked up close to the roosting tom, and gave off this most anemic sounding owl hoot and crow call. After that, I heard a tom gobble two times, about 300 yards away further east...figuring that was the spooked gobbler. I headed towards that direction for another set-up, but I never did see or hear from him for the rest of the morning.

I went with my crossbow this morning, to a different area, of where I roosted a tom last Sunday; but I did not hear a single gobble. I was walking back to my car, when I met two hunters who heard {gobbling} and spooked a big tom in the pinewoods this morning. You know a pine grove can really muffle a gobble.

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    That really burns me up when your set up on a roosted bird and some Yahoo tries to stalk up to the Bird! They know your there and can hear you working the bird and they screw the whole thing up!

I always carry a orange hat just so I can pull it out so these same A@@holes don't shoot me. Its so frustrating.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Turkey season opened 15th here, We got skunked today. It was windy and really couldnt hear well...and we got there after light which may have been part of the problem. We did see two deer though.

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    Heading out tomorrow here in Calvert County, it's supposed to be great weather and hoping for a light hunter turnout due to being a work day for most.

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    Get a box call, or a push button call and watch some you tube videos. They head out
    and spend some time in the woods. You will learn something each trip out.

I still have not killed a bird, but I called in some for my son, which i consider a win even if he did not bring it home, but I'm hooked! lol

jayc0968

Cpl, U.S.M.C. 87-92
    Sep 22, 2009
    Crofton, MD
    I was out yesterday morn below Edgewater. Didn't hear a single bird. Saw 1 a couple hundred yards down the holler, wouldn't respond to calls, and I know they carry that far, it was dead quiet. Maybe a hen or jake, or just didn't want to play.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Get a box call, or a push button call and watch some you tube videos. They head out
    and spend some time in the woods. You will learn something each trip out.

I still have not killed a bird, but I called in some for my son, which i consider a win even if he did not bring it home, but I'm hooked! lol

Bought a box call at Gander Mountain yesterday and some camo. Going to scout a bit today. Do need to watch a video to learn how to use that call.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    That really burns me up when your set up on a roosted bird and some Yahoo tries to stalk up to the Bird! They know your there and can hear you working the bird and they screw the whole thing up!

I always carry a orange hat just so I can pull it out so these same A@@holes don't shoot me. Its so frustrating.

It is a frustrating and dangerous sport...when someone knowingly or unknowingly comes in and interferes with a hunter who is working a bird. Since I only hunt turkeys on public hunting land, I find that this kind of hunter interference happens quite frequently for me.

Between set-ups...I always wear a blaze orange cap or bandana, including a blaze orange vest and flag on the back of my daypack; while I'm walking around the turkey woods.

ndunk67

Mar 29, 2014
    Middletown
    Same for me, spent over 4 hours yelping and purring away and the only thing that could have been talking back was every bird in the forest except Turkeys! On that note, does anyone in the Forum have knowledge of Frederick/ Eastern Washington County public lands? Not looking for a grid coordinate to a turkey roost but some advice for a new MD hunter as far as places that may be good vs places to avoid.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I stumbled on a couple turkey's scratching around...they didnt even know I was there...I had my sights on the one that was facing away from me since I couldnt see her head till she popped up and looked at me Then I was heartbroken since they were both hens...then they both bolted into the woods. LOL still neat to sneak up on them unknowingly

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom