Private sale gun registration questions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GSHOT

Jan 31, 2013
    Annapolis MD
    So I have never bought any regulated firearms via private sale before and I have a few questions. I have a family friend that is selling/ giving a lot of his collection away because he is moving out of state and does not want to keep all of his guns for one reason or another. He is giving me a few nice guns as well as selling me a couple of his more expensive ones. What is the correct way to go about this? Also I have an address in Florida (not my primary address)witch is where one of the firearms will have to go I suppose because it can no longer be registered in this state. He has had a few of these for a very long time and can not remember if one or two of them where registered to him or his brother (deceased). A long story I know but any advice on how to go about this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    Any non-banned long guns can be transferred to you without any type of registration, any non-banned handguns can be transferred to you at a MSP barracks or FFL. Although, if more than 2 handguns you may want to send off for your designated collector letter first.

For any banned guns, you will not be able to take ownership of them while you are a MD resident.

Depending on the details, things may be more or less complicated. And this all assumes you're not prohibited and have HQL for any handgun transfer.

Jester

Feb 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Any non-banned long guns can be transferred to you without any type of registration, any non-banned handguns can be transferred to you at a MSP barracks or FFL. Although, if more than 2 handguns you may want to send off for your designated collector letter first.

For any banned guns, you will not be able to take ownership of them while you are a MD resident.

Depending on the details, things may be more or less complicated. And this all assumes you're not prohibited and have HQL for any handgun transfer.

Sorry for jumping in so long after the last post, but I was wondering if the Maryland resident (in this case ME) must use a MD FFL to transfer to WV resident or if it can be done from a WV FFL.

Thanks!

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    Sorry for jumping in so long after the last post, but I was wondering if the Maryland resident (in this case ME) must use a MD FFL to transfer to WV resident or if it can be done from a WV FFL.

Thanks!

The transferee(reciever) would need to take possession from an ffl in his home state. Whether or not that ffl would accept the gun from you or only from an ffl in MD would be up to them, some do and some don't. Call ahead to the WV guys local ffl and ask how they handle things.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014

Assuming it's a handgun, your MD FFL can't transfer the gun to a WV resident so you need a WV FFL. I suppose you could drive to WV and hand it to his FFL but I don't know that for sure.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The transferee(reciever) would need to take possession from an ffl in his home state. Whether or not that ffl would accept the gun from you or only from an ffl in MD would be up to them, some do and some don't. Call ahead to the WV guys local ffl and ask how they handle things.

Umm, no, if it is a rifle or shotgun, the WV resident can take possession of the firearm in any state from any FFL.

If it is a handgun, then it has to go through a WV FFL.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    To be a bit more precise.

The WV resident may take possession of a long gun from an FFL in ANY state, as long as the transaction is legal in WV (residency of buyer) and the state where the FFL is located.

So a WV resident may not take possession of a banned firearm from an MD resident (not legal transaction in MD). And an MD resident cannot take possession of a banned firearm in WV (not legal in the state of residency of the buyer).

Handguns MUST be transferred through an FFL in the state of residency of the buyer.

Firearms do NOT need to be transferred FROM an FFL in the seller's state. Although not all FFLs will receive a firearm from a private individual.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    Umm, no, if it is a rifle or shotgun, the WV resident can take possession of the firearm in any state from any FFL.

Yeah, I guess I just assumed he was asking about handgun. After re-reading his post doesn't specify. :shrug:

Jester

Feb 12, 2012
    Maryland

Yikes, sorry guys, I had specified a handgun, but back spaced to correct spelling. Must have wiped that out too.

Thanks for your help!

Jester

Feb 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Yeah, I guess I just assumed he was asking about handgun. After re-reading his post doesn't specify. :shrug:

Yes, I was. I had deleted that fact when I backspaced to correct spelling and must have not noticed I also deleted "handgun." Sorry 'bout that.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Make sure you transfer any magazines above the capacity limit out of state. Don't include them with the firearm when you take it to the MSP for transfer (they will want to see the firearm).

Jester

Feb 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Make sure you transfer any magazines above the capacity limit out of state. Don't include them with the firearm when you take it to the MSP for transfer (they will want to see the firearm).

Thanks for all your help guys. Made the transfer today. Only cost $25.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom