• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikebalt

Nov 4, 2014
    Catonsville, MD
    I searched the forum did not see a thread or answer - if I missed it please forgive my noobness.

I sent in my FFL C&R December 8, checked my credit card statement today there is a charge for fire and explosives... anyone have an idea of wait time to get the license? I am hoping to have it before the Gettysburg gun show at the end of January

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I searched the forum did not see a thread or answer - if I missed it please forgive my noobness.

I sent in my FFL C&R December 8, checked my credit card statement today there is a charge for fire and explosives... anyone have an idea of wait time to get the license? I am hoping to have it before the Gettysburg gun show at the end of January

Usually within 7 days of your card being hit.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont

My understanding is that you are charged at the office where the app is recieved, then they forward the paperwork to the next office for processing. Some folks report a week after they are charged, others a month. Guess it depends on the backlog and whose desk it lands on. When I got mine a few years a ago it was closer to 75 days after I was charged I think, but it is significantly shorter now.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I have two friends who recently (within the last 6 months) got an FFL, and both received their licenses within a few days/a week from the date their CCs were hit. I have seen people from other parts of the country wait longer, though. I think it depends on how busy your local office is.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    My understanding is that you are charged at the office where the app is recieved, then they forward the paperwork to the next office for processing. Some folks report a week after they are charged, others a month. Guess it depends on the backlog and whose desk it lands on. When I got mine a few years a ago it was closer to 75 days after I was charged I think, but it is significantly shorter now.

Correct. The payment is first processed in Atlanta, then the paperwork is batch-shipped to WVA for completion for VA and MD. My last one took a couple of months, or more, to complete, but that was awhile back. A week after payment is charged seems miraculous. The stars must have really been aligned for those applicants.

Also keep in mind that some federal workers don't seem to get as much done during the holiday season as at other times of the year.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Don't forget starting now, look very closely at your incoming mail.
    They may have changed the envelope, but the envelope I got 2 years ago looked like junk mail. About double the height of a standard business type letter with a clear opening with my name/address. The manilla (welcome packet) came several weeks later. The license comes in the smaller one. Copy original several times front and back before signing.

Easytarget18

Señor Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Charged 4 December and renewal showed up today 16 December. I guess I knocked something loose by posting yesterday.

RK23

Jan 21, 2010
    They charged my cc on Dec 1 and I still haven't received it yet.
    New application not a renewal.

CSJ

Dec 20, 2013
    Rockville
    Mailed in my paper work on 11/27 (day before Thanksgiving), charged my credit card on 12/3 and received my license today. Was not expecting it that fast!

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Correct. The payment is first processed in Atlanta, then the paperwork is batch-shipped to WVA for completion for VA and MD. My last one took a couple of months, or more, to complete, but that was awhile back. A week after payment is charged seems miraculous. The stars must have really been aligned for those applicants.

Also keep in mind that some federal workers don't seem to get as much done during the holiday season as at other times of the year.

^^THIS. The times always vary due to the batch shipping and efficiency Federal workers as discussed in multiple threads. While waiting for it you may want to be not only considering your first purchases, but review the FAQ'so thread in the forum. Enjoy the license!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom