• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Good stuff! I have company shirts but often don't wear them so there is no way for anyone to tell whether I am going to a business appointment or a personal appointment. No one can honestly believe that a criminal wouldn't jack me for cash or valuables just because he thought I was off-duty. If my risk is heightened as a business owner than it is heightened all of the time not just between 9 am and 5 pm. I applaud your efforts. As much as we all want everything at once I am certainly not going to complain about the tactic of chipping away at the infringements.

:thumbsup:

I made this very point to the state police during my informal review. In my situation, I am a very public person due to the nature of my job. At what point do I cease being a "REALTOR"? Since the answer is never, then how does my need for a permit have an on or off switch? People know my name and what I look like, so I am always at risk.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Quick question : The Secretary takes his policies & marching orders from the Governor, right? So if the Governor were to, at some politically expedient point in time, redefine G&S for the Secretary, then Maryland would essentially flip to a "shall issue" state, right? So when might such an expedient time come to be?

This is essentially true, and has been debated here robustly.:rolleyes:

Timing is uncertain, and I've thought it might take some time. Now that we're finally seeing some foundational things that could be a backstop for it, maybe it could be sooner than I thought.

But, I still don't have a good read on when.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    BTW, this thread and those who are in process of applying is exactly what we need. We are exposing the inaccuracies and inconsistencies in the process and with the state police by applying. Some of the applicant may not receive their permit, but it is filling the ammo can of our members for future use in applications and court proceedings.

This is exactly what we have lacked for years. I have taken the most public approach to be able to air the process and as much information as I can. For some, my approach may not be appropriate, so everyone needs to examine their own situation and proceed as needed.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    This is essentially true, and has been debated here robustly.:rolleyes:

Timing is uncertain, and I've thought it might take some time. Now that we're finally seeing some foundational things that could be a backstop for it, maybe it could be sooner than I thought.

But, I still don't have a good read on when.
    Tapatalk doesn't seem to give me the thumbs-up emoticon option, but I would like to whole-heartedly associate myself with the remarks of these two fine gentlemen. :cool:
    BTW, this thread and those who are in process of applying is exactly what we need. We are exposing the inaccuracies and inconsistencies in the process and with the state police by applying. Some of the applicant may not receive their permit, but it is filling the ammo can of our members for future use in applications and court proceedings.

This is exactly what we have lacked for years. I have taken the most public approach to be able to air the process and as much information as I can. For some, my approach may not be appropriate, so everyone needs to examine their own situation and proceed as needed.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

Agreed. A chance to put your money where your mouth is.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    As you can tell from the petition I'm arguing against the restrictions placed on an issued permit. Without going into too much detail the arguments are once the Secretary has found G&S for a permittee the restrictions imposed don't pass constitutional muster under even an intermediate scrutiny standard.
    Secondly the fact that the Secretary has a policy that says if you get a permit for x reasons you automatically get y restrictions violates all sorts of administrative procedures and is not in fact an exercise in discretion but really a de facto regulation which was never promulgated in accordance with law.
    Not the earth shattering crack it all open at one time case I'm sure everyone would like but one step at a time.

Send you a PM on this case. Love to see your papers., as I am in precisely that position... Thanks.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I am planning to be there, provided my day doesn't go all to hell this afternoon.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    So far... nothing has ruined my plans to attend... but the day is young.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    Are there any members here with hearings scheduled for tonight or just a couple random folks that are not known by anyone here?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Are there any members here with hearings scheduled for tonight or just a couple random folks that are not known by anyone here?

If you or anyone else goes, please report back on the meeting.

Just imagine for a moment that you are a member of the review board....

Board - So, Mr. Smith, looks like you are an average citizen of Maryland, you and your family have lived and worked in this state for your whole lives; paid taxes, contributed to society, you have a clean criminal record... would someone tell me why Mr. Smith was denied a permit to carry?

Clerk - Mr. Smith was denied because under the existing policy and long established practice of denying law-abiding citizens their right to carry.

Board - What does that mean, exactly?

Clerk - Mr. Smith did not articulate an approved 'good and substantial' reason.

Board - I see. Please read for the board what a 'good and substantial' reason is.

Clerk - Well sir, there is none.

Board - What do you mean there is none? How can he demonstrate a 'good and substantial' reason if there is none?

Clerk - Good question sir, that's just the way it has been for a very long time; honestly, the MDSP just make it up, they wing it. They try to be fair, and try to base the decision off past court cases, and gut feelings.

Board - Umhumm... ok, I see. The MDSP just arbitrarily decide who's worthy, and who's not?

Clerk - yes sir.

Board - Isn't that ridiculously obvious to everyone that that's unconstitutional? Isn't it blatant to everyone that's illegal?

Clerk - sir, I just read the sheet, and tell you what I know.

Board - ok, let's move on from this. Overruled.

Clerk - Overruled sir?

Board - yes clerk, Mr. Smiths application is APPROVED.

Board - Next.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    If you or anyone else goes, please report back on the meeting.

Just imagine for a moment that you are a member of the review board....

Board - So, Mr. Smith, looks like you are an average citizen of Maryland, you and your family have lived and worked in this state for your whole lives; paid taxes, contributed to society, you have a clean criminal record... would someone tell me why Mr. Smith was denied a permit to carry?

Clerk - Mr. Smith was denied because under the existing policy and long established practice of denying law-abiding citizens their right to carry.

Board - What does that mean, exactly?

Clerk - Mr. Smith did not articulate an approved 'good and substantial' reason.

Board - I see. Please read for the board what a 'good and substantial' reason is.

Clerk - Well sir, there is none.

Board - What do you mean there is none? How can he demonstrate a 'good and substantial' reason if there is none?

Clerk - Good question sir, that's just the way it has been for a very long time; honestly, the MDSP just make it up, they wing it. They try to be fair, and try to base the decision off past court cases, and gut feelings.

Board - Umhumm... ok, I see. The MDSP just arbitrarily decide who's worthy, and who's not?

Clerk - yes sir.

Board - Isn't that ridiculously obvious to everyone that that's unconstitutional? Isn't it blatant to everyone that's illegal?

Clerk - sir, I just read the sheet, and tell you what I know.

Board - ok, let's move on from this. Overruled.

Clerk - Overruled sir?

Board - yes clerk, Mr. Smiths application is APPROVED.

Board - Next.

If it was only that easy. I am waiting to see how having the 2 existing members still active is going to pan out. They obviously cannot over rule the 3 other members, but it will be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom