• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    Would this work in Maryland? Got this from FB regarding bundy issue.

Officer that has pulled you over: Are you carrying any weapons? (NEVER EVER ANSWER THIS QUESTION!!)
    Driver: Am I being Detained?
    Officer: No
    Driver: Am I free to go?
    Officer: Are you carrying any weapons?
    Driver: Am I being detained?
    Officer: No
    Driver: Am I free to go?
    By the third of fourth time, the driver no longer needs to ask the question. Their response should be a statement "Then I'm free to go" and drive away!
    Nevada is a traditional open carry state with complete state preemption of firearms laws. However, Clark County is grandfathered so as to continue a “Deadly Weapons” registration scheme. Fortunately, Nevada law exempts travelers to and through Nevada from these registration requirements for 60 days. http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=272

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Free to go and drive away???

That's terrible advice. You're likely to end up in jail best case or with a bullet in you worst case.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    Not fishing, just relatively new to this state, not for long , and wondering what happens now that I have a HQL are they going to be asking me if I have weapons every time I get pulled over, and what my rights are regarding...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never had a cop pull me over for a traffic violation and spontaneously ask whether I have a firearm on me. If they ask it's because they see something that gives them a reason to ask.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    I don't mean to sound coarse or rude, but I am old and impatient. In the 27th post you get to the question you wanted to ask.....why the hell didn't you ask that in the first place instead of going around your ass to get to your elbow and look like a troll fishing for a fight?

:lol:LOL:lol:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Um, I only glanced at a few posts here. Appreciate the insight from the patrol LEO, that's solid advice and should help people to understand - play nice, everything will turn out alright.

Brady, Bunny, Bundy Ranch? What the ^$%#$? Why are people getting pulled over going to/from a ranch, and why should we care too much about whores or guns in Nevada?

How about this:

Officer - Do you have any weapons?
    You - No sir, nothing illegal in this car.
    Officer - Mind if I check?
    You - I'd rather you not, I'll be late to my ...
    Officer - If you have nothing to hide, then you don't mind if I take a look, right?
    You - Officer, I've been very cooperative with you; and I understand you have a job to do, I just ask that you respect my rights the same way I respect your authority. Fair enough?
    Officer - Have a nice day.

or

Officer - Do you have anything illegal in the car, drugs, guns, dead prostitutes?
    You - Nothing illegal here officer; however I do have empty target rifle in a case in my trunk, I am on my way to the range.
    Officer - What range do you go to?
    You - AGC, you should join us sometime.
    Officer - I might, I shoot at Berwyn, I help with the youth training program when I can.
    You - I've taken my son there a few times, you might have taught him, thanks.
    Officer - I thought I recognized your car; hey, have a good day.
    You - you too, see you around.

Any other scenarios I can think of probably fall into the rare 2% of the times police have to interact with criminals.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    When I am pulled over for a traffic stop I am a "yes sir, no sir, thank you very much sir" kind of person. Only once was I ever asked if I had any weapons in the car. It was a rookie there with his training officer that asked me this question. It just so happens that I was on my way to the range. I responded, "yes sir, in my trunk, I am on my way to the range for some target shooting. The training officer smiled and said, "I wish we could join you but we have to keep working". We discussed guns for a few minutes and he mentioned that he belonged to the same range as I do. He let me go with just a verbal warning. They never asked to look in the trunk.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Yep, there was a story and most of the details in the story were BS. The officer saw his FL CCW and then asked him about any firearms, the officer also asked the wife who gave contradictory information which then lead to a search of the vehicle.

FL doesn't share their CCW database either and to my knowledge, neither does any other state.

This wasn't a case of the cop seeing the drivers Fl CCW. The car was stopped after a tag reader picked up the fl plate and flagged it as belonging to a permit holder. MD is connected to fl ccw database by the fact that fl tags are connected and that info is displayed with the tag info,and that was the only reason he was pulled over.

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    Brady, Bunny, Bundy Ranch? What the ^$%#$? Why are people getting pulled over going to/from a ranch, and why should we care too much about whores or guns in Nevada?

Quick summary, Bundy is having a dispute with federal land management over grazing his cattle on federal land. The laws were changed to protect an endangered species. Bundy didn't agree and kept crazing his cattle on the land and stop paying for the right to do so. So the situation is escalating. Now we have Texas militia members going out to the farm to defend him.

So another standoff is brewing. I assume the police are stopping out of state cars headed there in an attempt to prevent this from getting any further out of control.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Why would you pull over if a police officer was behind you in the first place? Did you NEVER watch the Dukes of Hazard?

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    When I am pulled over for a traffic stop I am a "yes sir, no sir, thank you very much sir" kind of person. Only once was I ever asked if I had any weapons in the car. It was a rookie there with his training officer that asked me this question. It just so happens that I was on my way to the range. I responded, "yes sir, in my trunk, I am on my way to the range for some target shooting. The training officer smiled and said, "I wish we could join you but we have to keep working". We discussed guns for a few minutes and he mentioned that he belonged to the same range as I do. He let me go with just a verbal warning. They never asked to look in the trunk.

I think it was my grandfather who told me, "never tell a police officer 'you can't do that', or a judge that he's wrong."

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    . If I ask you whether or not you're armed you can certainly exercise your right to remain silent. How that will turn out varies from Officer to Officer.

What are the rules though? Honestly, the few times I've been asked if I was armed, I've just told the officer no (because I wasn't), so it's never been a practical issue for me.

I get confused sometimes with all the bogus information floating around about what the law is, and I get people talking about the "right to remain silent" when arrested vs not arrested, etc.

For example, given that I have a right to remain silent, what's to stop me from rolling down my window, keeping my hands on the wheel and staring slackjawed out the window when the officer approaches, never uttering a word. If I have a right to remain silent, is this protected? I understand it's supposed to keep me from incriminating myself, but nearly anything I say could "incriminate" me given the right circumstances.

Now, I'm not an idiot, even though I'm pretending to be. I know exactly what would happen if I did that. What I want to know is, why would I be dragged out of my car and searched for my ID (that is, what would the legal justification be)? If I have the right to remain silent, how does that interact with the function of the police officer whose job it is to stop me and find out who I am when I am speeding?

Oooh even more interesting... is our cooperation with officers during a traffic stop merely a voluntary protocol on our part to make an inherently unpleasant thing (being detained and identified) more pleasant?

As a side note, it's this exact dynamic that makes me bristle at "speed limit", "seatbelt" and "helmet" laws in general. It's not the spirit of them I'm against, it's the implications.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Ok, this is agreeably kinda silly. While I haven't been pulled over many times I am convinced if I am polite and realize the police are just doing their job things should be fine. I would be honest, esp if asked a direct question. Not sure if I would wait until the Leo asked or just give him a permit with my lisc.

I think being pulled over is a lot different than say a check point. At a check point you have not been stopped and "detained". Am I correct?

TD

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    If you mean by e-mail request to licensing then yes. If you mean that other agencies such as local, county or even state barracks have access to either database, then you are either incorrect or the MSP lied in a sub-committee hearing this year. Since I know Tom Williams from MSP and has yet to tell an untruth to the MDGA, then that leaves.....

According to the good Captain from the MSP, the database is not externally accessible outside of licensing division, period. It is not shared with any other agency (state, local or county), and any requests for information must provide a reason and contact info.

I've used it me personally, many times while a police officer, and I just retired last September. It is on the MILES side of the system, and it is called MGUN. No emails, no administrative messages, just direct access.

As far as I know HQLs are not there, but carry permits and firearm registrations sure are.

Maybe things have changed since I retired, but I doubt it.

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    Now, I'm not an idiot, even though I'm pretending to be. I know exactly what would happen if I did that. What I want to know is, why would I be dragged out of my car and searched for my ID (that is, what would the legal justification be)? If I have the right to remain silent, how does that interact with the function of the police officer whose job it is to stop me and find out who I am when I am speeding?

The legal justification would be the fact that you cannot be issued a citation without displaying a valid ID. The Officer in those cases is either required to release you with a verbal warning or place you under arrest. The reason for this is the fact that you can give a false name, date of birth and address and either a) avoid the citation or b) give the personal data of an innocent person who will then have a warrant for their arrest when they don't show up to court because they were never stopped and made aware of the citation. The latter happens more often than you'd think. In addition, the right to remain silent does not apply to giving your name and date of birth.

Here's what's actually required on a traffic stop:

1) stop when the Officer turns on his lights/sirens
    2) do not leave the scene or exit the vehicle until released by the Officer
    3) present a valid photo id / driver's license
    4) present the vehicle's registration
    5) sign the citation if one is issued

You don't have to have a conversation with the Officer and you don't have to answer any questions. Be aware that under MD law, if you refuse to sign a citation you will be issued another citation for failure to sign the first one and if after that you continue to refuse you will be arrested. If the Officer asks "Do you know why I stopped you?" you are not required to answer. You are also not required to acknowledge not wearing a seat belt etc. If the Officer has stopped you because he has reason to believe that you are in the area to commit a burglary, solicit prostitution etc and he asks what your business is I would suggest simply telling him where you're going. More than likely you will be sent on your way. Sarcastic or profane answers will lengthen the stop considerably.

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    I've used it me personally, many times while a police officer, and I just retired last September. It is on the MILES side of the system, and it is called MGUN. No emails, no administrative messages, just direct access.

As far as I know HQLs are not there, but carry permits and firearm registrations sure are.

Maybe things have changed since I retired, but I doubt it.

We have access to a secure system called Maryland Criminal Justice Dashboard which can be accessed via any internet browser. Included in that system are all MVA records, criminal history records, a death master file etc. One of the databases is MSP Guns which (theoretically) lists ever registered firearm in Maryland. If I enter a person's biographical data I can see if they have a registered weapon.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    One of the databases is MSP Guns which (theoretically) lists ever registered firearm in Maryland. If I enter a person's biographical data I can see if they have a registered weapon.

That is pretty scary. God I hope we never allow it to come to that nationally.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I think all of you are idiots!! The OP's initial advice is spot on and should be followed by any and all motorists and is the ONLY proper procedure when being stopped by the pigs.

The only thing I would change is after the first time if you say "Am I free to go?" and he says no you get your ass out of there after smashing on the gas. Don't let that pig get you down!! Hit it and run. As long as you make it home and yell "Olly Olly Oxen Free" he can't touch you!!

:outta her

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Be sure to jump the river where the bridge is washed out so he can't follow you. And yell YAHOO while you are doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom