• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karleb

Jan 2, 2013
    Frederick
    I've been poking around the internet for awhile now and haven't been able to find a good answer from a reliable source yet. I was directed to these forums by a friend at work to get some info.
    • In 2004, I bought a Bushmaster XM15 rifle with a fixed position stock and permanently installed 16" barrel, 10rd magazine, and a muzzle break in PA. It was designed to comply with the 1994-2004 ban.
    • Later in 2004 I acquired some preban (unstamped) aluminum 30rd magazines on gunbroker.
    • In 2005, after the ban expired, I installed a collapsible stock on the rifle.

I recently moved from PA to MD and there are all sorts of funny gun laws here from what I was told, so I didn't bring the rifle with me. Right now, the rifle is still in PA, but I'd like to legally bring it to Maryland.

1) Is there anything special I need to do to bring it here in it's current form?

2) The rifle needs a new barrel anyway and I'd like to register it as a SBR so that I can purchase a 14.5" threaded barrel for it. I'm familiar with the ATF process for constructing a SBR but have never done so in Maryland. I'm aware of the difficulty (or impossibility) with getting a Concealed Carry Permit here, so I got to wondering whether it is even worth it to bother with the SBR process. Do the MSP typically sign off on Form 1's or should I just forget about it and buy another 16" barrel?

I appreciate any advice you all could give me.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I've been poking around the internet for awhile now and haven't been able to find a good answer from a reliable source yet. I was directed to these forums by a friend at work to get some info.
    • In 2004, I bought a Bushmaster XM15 rifle with a fixed position stock and permanently installed 16" barrel, 10rd magazine, and a muzzle break in PA. It was designed to comply with the 1994-2004 ban.
    • Later in 2004 I acquired some preban (unstamped) aluminum 30rd magazines on gunbroker.
    • In 2005, after the ban expired, I installed a collapsible stock on the rifle.

I recently moved from PA to MD and there are all sorts of funny gun laws here from what I was told, so I didn't bring the rifle with me. Right now, the rifle is still in PA, but I'd like to legally bring it to Maryland.

1) Is there anything special I need to do to bring it here in it's current form?

2) The rifle needs a new barrel anyway and I'd like to register it as a SBR so that I can purchase a 14.5" threaded barrel for it. I'm familiar with the ATF process for constructing a SBR but have never done so in Maryland. I'm aware of the difficulty (or impossibility) with getting a Concealed Carry Permit here, so I got to wondering whether it is even worth it to bother with the SBR process. Do the MSP typically sign off on Form 1's or should I just forget about it and buy another 16" barrel?

I appreciate any advice you all could give me.

Well get it in the State ASAP!!! There is no current law saying you must register it. You may have to if the current gun bill passes.... we will see. However if its not in the state and the law passes, you will not be able to bring it in after a certain date (Probably Oct).

1. No you can bring it in as is. No changes needed and you can make all changes you want.

2. MD is very easy to get NFA items as its a shall issue state for sign offs! Just get things together and drop at MSP with a $18 Check. They require their own fingerprints with livescan...etc. see more info there if needed. There is some question if the gun bill currently in the Legislator will deal with SBRs... only time will tell. If not, then you are fine. If so, you will likely not get your stamp back from ATF in time... but then you can just get a refund.

So all in all, go for it!

karleb

Jan 2, 2013
    Frederick
    Well get it in the State ASAP!!! There is no current law saying you must register it. You may have to if the current gun bill passes.... we will see. However if its not in the state and the law passes, you will not be able to bring it in after a certain date (Probably Oct).

1. No you can bring it in as is. No changes needed and you can make all changes you want.

2. MD is very easy to get NFA items as its a shall issue state for sign offs! Just get things together and drop at MSP with a $18 Check. They require their own fingerprints with livescan...etc. see more info there if needed. There is some question if the gun bill currently in the Legislator will deal with SBRs... only time will tell. If not, then you are fine. If so, you will likely not get your stamp back from ATF in time... but then you can just get a refund.

So all in all, go for it!

Thanks for the quick response! Do the State Police require any kind of paperwork to be filled out before I go there or do I just show up with the completed Form 1, a photo and my checkbook?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Thanks for the quick response! Do the State Police require any kind of paperwork to be filled out before I go there or do I just show up with the completed Form 1, a photo and my checkbook?

Lets see, going off memory... You need 2 copies of your form 1, fingerprints (now done electronically), $18 check... Maybe that Cert of US Citizenship... I think thats it... someone else will correct me if I am missing anything. I always just take everything.

P.S. MSP will have it for a month or two before they mail the forms back to you. There is lots of info in this forum about the process. You may want to do a little research.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Lets see, going off memory... You need 2 copies of your form 1, fingerprints (now done electronically), $18 check... Maybe that Cert of US Citizenship... I think thats it... someone else will correct me if I am missing anything. I always just take everything.

P.S. MSP will have it for a month or two before they mail the forms back to you. There is lots of info in this forum about the process. You may want to do a little research.

The $18 fee is now collected by whoever does the LiveScan for you. No need to give MSP another $18 check when you've already paid for it.

For fingerprints I highly suggest using FYI Fingerprinting in Ellicott City. They're quick and painless and will do the LiveScan & FBI cards.

Once you've done your LiveScan bring the following to MSP in Pikesville for CLEO signoff:
    Form 1 (2 copies)
    LiveScan Receipt (You will be given this when you get your prints done)

Once you get your Form 1 back from MSP, mail the following to the ATF:
    Form 1 with passport photo affixed (2 copies)
    Check to ATF for $200
    Certificate of Compliance form (Citizenship form, 1 copy)
    FBI Blue Fingerprint cards (2)

Since the OP is thinking of a 14.5" barrel I suggest skipping the SBR process and just permanently affixing a flashider to bring it to the legal 16" length. It'll save you $200 and you'll have the same outcome.

karleb

Jan 2, 2013
    Frederick
    The $18 fee is now collected by whoever does the LiveScan for you. No need to give MSP another $18 check when you've already paid for it.

For fingerprints I highly suggest using FYI Fingerprinting in Ellicott City. They're quick and painless and will do the LiveScan & FBI cards.

Once you've done your LiveScan bring the following to MSP in Pikesville for CLEO signoff:
    Form 1 (2 copies)
    LiveScan Receipt (You will be given this when you get your prints done)

Once you get your Form 1 back from MSP, mail the following to the ATF:
    Form 1 with passport photo affixed (2 copies)
    Check to ATF for $200
    Certificate of Compliance form (Citizenship form, 1 copy)
    FBI Blue Fingerprint cards (2)

Since the OP is thinking of a 14.5" barrel I suggest skipping the SBR process and just permanently affixing a flashider to bring it to the legal 16" length. It'll save you $200 and you'll have the same outcome.

Thanks so much for the detailed instructions. Do you know if I need to go to MSP in Pikesville even though I live in Frederick County?

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    At this point isn't it too late to sbr anything? That would be a form 1, which is manufacturing a firearm, which you can't do after October 1? You'll never get the stamp before then unless you submitted the paper work some time ago. I wish I had sent in the paperwork for the Tula kit/receiver I have. I suppose I'll just build it as a 16", and maybe sbr it if I move out of state later.

navycrna

Smell My Face
    Feb 28, 2007
    howard county
    The question is going to be is if SBR's will be legal in MD after October 1st since I am sure it will be les than 29". I suspect not.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    At this point isn't it too late to sbr anything? That would be a form 1, which is manufacturing a firearm, which you can't do after October 1? You'll never get the stamp before then unless you submitted the paper work some time ago. I wish I had sent in the paperwork for the Tula kit/receiver I have. I suppose I'll just build it as a 16", and maybe sbr it if I move out of state later.

First, the big question is still if this will touch SBRs... I still say no.

Second as its no longer possession, just purchase by Oct... I would say you would be completely fine SBRing anything now.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    First, the big question is still if this will touch SBRs... I still say no.

Second as its no longer possession, just purchase by Oct... I would say you would be completely fine SBRing anything now.
    But you need a form 1 to sbr anything....which the ATF considers manufacturing a firearm...wouldn't manufacturing a firearm be illegal under the SB281 definitions? Regardless of whether you already own the base weapon to be SBR'ed? I suppose it al comes down to how the State interprets the law. I'm just willing to bet that they will use the strictest interpretation possible; especially considering the way things have gone so far. :/

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    I think some SBRs will be a no-go. Is it an SBR AR? Then it's a copy of a Colt AR-15, thus banned. As would SBR AKs, Uzis, etc...

ETA: Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't overall length measured in the rifle/shotgun's longest configuration? ie: with a collapsible stock fully extended

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The assault long guns list is generally agreed to not encompass SBRs and SBSs, on purpose. That's why the Galil SAR, for instance, is not listed, despite the AR and ARM being on there.

The OAL test is the bigger concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom