• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    Has anyone here ever flown to another part of the country and brought a handgun with them? Looking for the do's and don'ts of doing so..

As I understand, it has to be unloaded inside of a TSA approved case and declared at check in.. Is there any restriction on the amount of ammo inside of the same case? How I plan on doing it is a G43 with cable lock, 4 mags, 200rd in boxes inside of a TSA approved case. Would there be any issue in that?

Most importantly, can any of you recommend a TSA approved pistol case that could fit one full size handgun, mags, and ammo with out eating up luggage space?

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    There are threads about this. I used them for a few ideas, but ultimately I relied on information from the airline's website.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Has anyone here ever flown to another part of the country and brought a handgun with them? Looking for the do's and don'ts of doing so..

As I understand, it has to be unloaded inside of a TSA approved case and declared at check in.. Is there any restriction on the amount of ammo inside of the same case? How I plan on doing it is a G43 with cable lock, 4 mags, 200rd in boxes inside of a TSA approved case. Would there be any issue in that?

Most importantly, can any of you recommend a TSA approved pistol case that could fit one full size handgun, mags, and ammo with out eating up luggage space?
    The thread stated by mpdc4511 has by far the most information. Search will get you there.
    There are threads about this. I used them for a few ideas, but ultimately I relied on information from the airline's website.
    Airline website is vital also.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Go to TSA website and your airlines website and get the official answers. Print them and have them with you.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    When you go to the counter dont say 'I have a gun'. Ask for a 'firearms declaration card' and the agent will know what to do. A hard-sided pistol case with a lock or a peli box inside of a regular piece of luggage is fine. I always have them give me two cards. One I stick inside of the pistol case, the other I take to the outside of the case but inside of the luggage. It is a good idea to wait wherever TSA x-rays the luggage in case they want you to open it. Do not under any circumstances whatsoever give the key to your case to a TSA or airline employee. Insist on opening it for them. Their 'policy' doesn't over-ride federal law. Do not use a 'TSA lock' but a regular keyed or combination padlock.

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    This is what I used. I put small holes in the lining of the suitcase and ran the cable lock around the sleeve that the collapsible handle slides inside - that way the box couldn't be removed from the suitcase (not easily anyway). The other two locks were required according to what I had read. I locked the slide back on the pistol and had ammo in the original packaging inside the box. The box was like ten bucks, the locks were like ten bucks (although you could use cheaper I guess), and the cable lock was from my collection of cable locks. I had to open it when I checked in.

Saw above and thought to add that the magazine was unloaded and also inside the box, but not in the pistol.

Attachments

• DSC_0154.jpg
      DSC_0154.jpg
      99.9 KB · Views: 207
    Last edited:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    In the 90s everything was easier to do than today...

Question: Are the procedures the same for a cap and ball pistol?

My guess is probably because you applying federal law and AIRLINE procedure!!!

Also how much easier could it have been in the 90's??

You check you bag and say I have a pistol, they open your case to ensure you don't have loaded mags and the ammo is in the original container, you quickly fill out the 4 line form, drop it in the safe, relock the safe, and then go buy a $7.00 water and a $12.00 magazine from the stupid stand.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Call your particular airline and ask their preferred procedure. As everyone else said, tons of threads on this but, things are always changing. Check with your airline.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I flew on Southwest airlines a few weeks ago. It rs ally is a simple process as long as you follow the rules. Remember that the firearm must be legal at your destination. If you are somehow rerouted to NJ or almost any Northeastern state know the law before you take possession of the firearm. Several people have spent time in jail after they try to check it back in to continue their delayed flight.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    Two years ago I had a slight hassle from an uninformed SW clerk at BWI, flying to Las Vegas. She insisted that I have a separate locking container for the ammo. I gave my ammo to a MdTA officer that I knew and immediately bought new Critical Defense after I landed.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Actually the newest TSA guidelines allow loaded magazines. But your airline may not. Call or check the web site.

Attachments

• firearms.jpg
      firearms.jpg
      91.9 KB · Views: 151
    • ammunition.jpg
      ammunition.jpg
      20.4 KB · Views: 168

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Two years ago I had a slight hassle from an uninformed SW clerk at BWI, flying to Las Vegas. She insisted that I have a separate locking container for the ammo. I gave my ammo to a MdTA officer that I knew and immediately bought new Critical Defense after I landed.

This is why I print out the rules from the TSA and airlines websites. I have run into mis/uninformed people several times and having the rules in hand fixed the problem.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If you encounter an employee who doesn't know the procedure or has incorrect info, just politely ask for a supervisor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom