• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doofoo

Dec 28, 2009
    Looking to finally break into the NFA field with my first purchase.

Just looking for a "cheap" in price .22LR suppressor. Something w/ self maintenance/cleaning.

Maybe something like the Tac 65, Huntertown Guardian SS, etc.

Would like it to be in stock so it cuts down a little on the transfer time.

I'm located in MD and have a NFA Trust.

Anyone have any suggestions of shops you've seen that have stock?

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Dont go cheap. Youre gonna have it for life. Theres basically no resale value on suppressors. Buy once, cry once.

Where are you in MD? It'll help to know that in order to recommend Class III dealers.

doofoo

Dec 28, 2009
    Dont go cheap. Youre gonna have it for life. Theres basically no resale value on suppressors. Buy once, cry once.

Where are you in MD? It'll help to know that in order to recommend Class III dealers.

I hadn't heard too many complaints about the TAC65, I think there are a ton of people here that have them?

I'm located in Southern Maryland (Calvert County). I'm willing to travel for the right deal. :)

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I hadn't heard too many complaints about the TAC65, I think there are a ton of people here that have them?

I'm located in Southern Maryland (Calvert County). I'm willing to travel for the right deal. :)

The Tac65 is an older design. There are better options but it depends on your budget.

How much are you willing to spend, before the $200 tax stamp?

doofoo

Dec 28, 2009
    The Tac65 is an older design. There are better options but it depends on your budget.

How much are you willing to spend, before the $200 tax stamp?

Maybe somewhere around $300 if possible? I remember the Tac 65 was selling for 190ish in some group buys.

What would you guys recommend, any good options in that price range?

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Maybe somewhere around $300 if possible? I remember the Tac 65 was selling for 190ish in some group buys.

Only a little more than you want to spend but I'd recommend the SWR Spectre II, or for a little more cash, the Silencerco SS 22Sparrow. The SWR Warlock is also nice and should meet your budget.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I agree 1000000% with Flipz. Don't go cheap on a .22 Silencer.

IMO TAC 65 is not a Can I would spend money on. They have ALuminum Threads and the Baffles erode FAST because they are aluminum too.

Im not sure on how well they support their cans but I have seen many that needed new baffles and they MFG charged the customer to replace them. There are upgraded baffle stack you can get installed by other Manufacturers but once you pay for that you could have bought a better can with a superb warranty.

You wont pay to get SWR or Silencerco Baffles replaced from WEAR.

If you have to go cheap pick a YHM, it has a great warranty.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011

Get a Spectre 2 or a Sparrow (if you can find one). I recently bought a Spectre (let you know how it sounds next summer.... Sigh) within your budget.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    I have a TAC 65. I think its great, I use it on rifles, pistols and have never had a problem. I bought it from the maker when he was in Glen Burnout for $99.00, should have bought more. Paid $249.00 for the AR can and it's nice too. Good luck!

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    I know it's a bit of a hike, but I have Silencerco Sparrows in stock. They are excellent .22 cans, probably the best available 22 can on the market in my opinion. They will handle .22LR up to 5.7x28

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I'll echo the other posters. NEVER go cheap with a suppressor you're buying on a Form 4 transfer. Between the dealer's fee, transfer tax, and other expenses, you've got $300 in costs...whether you are buying a cheap pipe with washers, or the latest in 3-D CNC manufacturing. Which means that a "$100" can actually costs $400, a "$400" can costs $700.

Which do you think is a better bargain, considering that it's not economical to resell it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom