How the heck do you all choose which C$R gun to buy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I saw a write-up on that not too long ago. Is the B clearly stamped over the A or did they attempt to grind off the A before rebranding?

8138249fce077c7b4e2336720111db66.jpg

But I'm not complaining. Mine is accurate as hell and feeds/shoots everything I've put through it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Seriously, the list of wants keeps growing for me. I looked at some stuff at the Oaks Gun Show today and now I'm feverishly reading up on different firearms.

Current candidates:

Another FN49 (love my Egyptian one)

Hi-Power (I like this one http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=444852111, can anyone comment and school me some on older Hi-Power pistols?

L-35 Lahti (I believe somd_mustangs had a post about one he sold a while back and I love the look)

Polish Radom (still trying to understand all of the varients and their respective values)

Star Model B (seems like a lot of folks on here are scooping up the ones from J&G and I'm a sucker for 1911-style pistols. Doesn't hurt that they are cheap either)

Here are my favorites: M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, any USGI 1911 or 1911A1, 1903A3, 1903, CZ 52, K98, British 303, 30-40 Krag. That should keep you busy and the bank account drained. I've found all of them interesting and great investments, too. Sold my Radon to my Ranger buddy a few months ago and have a substantial inventory of Garands and Carbines.

Lew--Ranger63
    US Army (Ret-1984)

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Here are my favorites: M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, any USGI 1911 or 1911A1, 1903A3, 1903, CZ 52, K98, British 303, 30-40 Krag. That should keep you busy and the bank account drained. I've found all of them interesting and great investments, too. Sold my Radon to my Ranger buddy a few months ago and have a substantial inventory of Garands and Carbines.

Lew--Ranger63

US Army (Ret-1984)

Lew--Ranger63

I firmly believe that every gun owner's first purchase should be an M1 Garand from CMP. They are one of the best milsurp rifles ever invented and available, and CMP has a limited stock and they will be gone soon enough. If you don't buy one now for $695, you'll buy one later for $1000+. You don't need an 03 license to buy it but I honestly can't think of a C$R gun that should be higher on anyone's priority list. I know there are different strokes for different folks, but hear me now and listen to me later. Hindsight being 20-20, I should have bought 3 Service Grade HRA Specials when I bought my first one. They are gone now and will never return, and it is the best shooter I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I saw a write-up on that not too long ago. Is the B clearly stamped over the A or did they attempt to grind off the A before rebranding?

8138249fce077c7b4e2336720111db66.jpg

But I'm not complaining. Mine is accurate as hell and feeds/shoots everything I've put through it so far.

That pretty clearly used to be an A

The ones that have a "B" marked over an "A" were almost always originally carried by Spain's Guardia Civil, then later traded in for an upgrade. The Star factory did the upgrades on these. As a general rule, they have more history and character (some have been in other countries, as well), so that's in their favor. Some, however, have feeding issues that generally seem to be alleviated by using steel-cased ammo.

According to Antaris, some of the mags that were originally designed for the 9mm Largo round (used in the "A" series) were factory modified with a shim being put into the back of the mag to make up the difference in round length. A link to a lengthy description for doing this mod yourself, by makind the shim and using a spring and follower from a Norinco 213 mag, is on another thread here somewhere.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Got my Star. It is an original B (not a converted A). Will post pics later when I clean it up

Congrats,
    Look at a Walther P1 (cold War German Military) next Both are 9mm Luger.
    Both my Star B and P1 are excellent C&R target pistols IMO.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Congrats,

Look at a Walther P1 (cold War German Military) next Both are 9mm Luger.

Both my Star B and P1 are excellent C&R target pistols IMO.

If you can find a nice Ortgies in 7.65 mm (32 ACP) with grips that have not been buggered, you'll be hard-pressed to find a sweeter shooter. $275-$350. An interesting piece for sure, and a good pistol for the wife or kids to shoot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I used to buy whatever was cheap.

Nowadays, I buy C&R stuff is in a modern caliber. (9x18 is on the edge for me.) I'd rather spend more and not have to deal with another caliber.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I used to buy whatever was cheap.

Nowadays, I buy C&R stuff is in a modern caliber. (9x18 is on the edge for me.) I'd rather spend more and not have to deal with another caliber.

The flip side of this is to expand your hobby to reloading. It gives you ever so many new outlets for relieving that pesky pressure in your wallet.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The flip side of this is to expand your hobby to reloading. It gives you ever so many new outlets for relieving that pesky pressure in your wallet.
    I know myself... and I know I should not be allowed near a reloading press. Guns will die.

This thread is kinda making me desire a .308 Garand, though. Thousand bucks through CMP... hmm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom