• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    And if I'm not mistaken, the designated collector status allows you to also transport all or part of your collection to a formal or informal showing. That means you can (properly) transport your new handgun to a buddy's house to show it off. From my read, without the designated collector status, such transportation is not permitted in MD.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Well, the wording in the statute is "bona fide gun collector" It's been argued here many times that you could be a "bona fide collector" without the DC status, and vice versa. It's too bad the DC status isn't mentioned in the statute.

just a thought for consideration.

MD 4-203 statute:

(5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector’s gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Why cant he take it on the plane?

Who said he can't? Very easy process also, declare it at curbside, they take you to the TSA guys who give you a tag stating its unloaded, you sign the tag, include it with the firearm and pick it up at the special pickup area in baggage claims.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Firearms cannot be checked curbside. Most of those folks are subcontractors and not airline employees.

As an example from the United Airlines Web site

• Curbside check-in of a firearm is not permitted.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Boy you need to do some reading there PJ The only locks that go on your firearm case are locks that only you have the key to. Meaning NON TSA locks.You must declare it to the airline per TSA regs. That means filling out the airline declaration card at the airline counter and putting the card in your bag. TSA does not do that function.

TSA web site:

to avoid issues that could impact your travel and/or result in law enforcement action, here are some guidelines to assist you in packing your firearms and ammunition:
    • All firearms must be declared to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
    Federal Statute

Title 49: Transportation
    PART 1540—CIVIL AVIATION SECURITY: GENERAL RULES

(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;
    (ii) The firearm is unloaded;
    (iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and
    (iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.
    (3) Any unauthorized explosive or incendiary.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Just went to Minnesota in November, loaded down with long gun and ammo. US Air website said I was required to have TSA locks. TSA guys seemed to find it totally normal and didn't make a peep.

Appreciate the research and dissertation though!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here is the US Air web site rules..

Firearms

US Airways will allow passengers to transport firearms in accordance with Federal Law.

• Items of shooting equipment will be accepted as checked baggage only.
    • A passenger who presents checked baggage that contains a firearm must declare the weapon and sign a written acknowledgement that the firearm is unloaded.
    • Firearms must be packed in a manufacturer’s hard–sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard–sided gun case, or a locked hard–sided piece of luggage. Handguns may be packed in a locked hard–sided gun case, and then packed inside an unlocked soft–sided piece of luggage. However, a Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case.
    • Baggage containing firearms must be locked at all times and the key or lock combination retained by the passenger.
    • A Firearm Unloaded Declaration form (available only at the airport) must be signed and placed inside the bag or gun case.
    • Checked ammunition may not exceed 11 lbs/5 kg per person. Ammunition clips with ammunition loaded are not accepted. Ammunition must be packed in the original manufacturing package or constructed of wood, fiber, plastic, or metal and provide separation for cartridges. No additional documentation is required.
    • There is no limit to the number of items contained in rifle, shotgun or pistol case, up to 50 lbs/23 kg, 62 in/157 cm in maximum.
    • A passenger who presents a firearm to be checked to an international destination must be in possession of all required import documentation for their international destination city and any international transit points. It is the responsibility of the passenger to acquire the required documentation from the applicable government entity prior to travel (usually a consulate or embassy). Firearms will not be accepted for transport if international
    Can't seem to find any info on required TSA locks but it matches the TSA regs. RIF

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    My nephew is in Oregon and is about to exit the Navy. He wants to ship his 30-30 back home to his parents house in MD. Is this a possibility or does it have to go thru a FFL.

8mm
    I can fix this........

Tell him to put it in a box, then box that box. @ about 12 lbs it should cost him $60 bucks to mail it USPS including insurance.

There,...... done.:cool:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    TSA locks are fine on your luggage, just not your gun case. I don't even bother with those any more. Most times they're missing when I pick up my bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom